SUP question...

krash
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

SUP question...

Post by krash »

I have been through all sorts of boats, a couple canoes, and 3 different kayaks.. due to health issues I need to lighten the load but do not really want to go back to powered boats, however a Ghenoe or one of the new super light skiff's would suffice but limit launch (parking) sites. Today I load & paddle a ScupperPro 56#, also have a Dorado which weighs in around 65#'s.

Kayak manufacturers are going in the wrong direction, MPO, wider, heavier, more expensive and getting to the point of not roof-topable or single handed load and unload.

SUP's, Stand Up Paddle-board's, on the other-hand are lighter, just as easy to paddle, and being designed for fishing needs.

I'd like to hear from Kayakers, or canoe-ist, who have an SUP, or have tried a few.. do you think that you could replace your kayak or canoe with a SUP for fishing the flats ?
Last edited by krash on Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

SW, Live to Fish, Have Tackle will travel ... >,)))~> ~~~~
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Re: SUP question...

Post by Todd »

Here you go Krash-

http://paddle-fishing-forum.com/viewtop ... &hilit=sup" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
Blindmullet

Post by Blindmullet »

I have one...not the best to paddle. Much rather use a plastic boat.
Team Pro Bass "Fishing Legendz"
vizzi

Post by vizzi »

My cousin in south FL loves fishing from his SUP. He said he tried a kayak and didn't like it as much. He built himself a crate that he attaches to it and fishes all day on it.
Jeremy
http://www.executivedetailllc.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TRKpoker

Post by TRKpoker »

I wouldn't give up my square back canoe for fishing....not even for one of the best paddle boards. I have looked into them and spent some time at the Ft Laud boat show looking into them. My canoe is just better for me. I get into very skinny water and can fish when the waves get bad enough all my kayak buddies head for their cars. Coming back from a long day of fishing dry and not cramped up is nice also.
krash
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by krash »

TRKpoker wrote:I wouldn't give up my square back canoe for fishing....not even for one of the best paddle boards. I have looked into them and spent some time at the Ft Laud boat show looking into them. My canoe is just better for me. I get into very skinny water and can fish when the waves get bad enough all my kayak buddies head for their cars. Coming back from a long day of fishing dry and not cramped up is nice also.
I agree with the canoe option and likely will go that way, but 30# SUPS are much cheaper and easier to find than 30# canoes and 30# fishable kayaks are non-existant.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

fishingwithblue

Post by fishingwithblue »

krash, I added one to my fleet because of client request and it has become my goto boat in the flooded grass sight fishing for tailing redfish. I have a Versaboard by Native. I installed the seat that flips back out of the way when you stand up. Love this thing!

USCG Captain Brent Highsmith
Kayak.Fish.StCatherine's
Mothership Charters

[email protected]
Blindmullet

Post by Blindmullet »

I could fish out of that Native, but it is nothing like a SUP. That native is far more like a kayak.
Team Pro Bass "Fishing Legendz"
r3krobert
Supporter 2013

Post by r3krobert »

[quote="krash"]I have been through all sorts of boats, a couple canoes, and 3 different kayaks.. due to health issues I need to lighten the load but do not really want to go back to powered boats, however a Ghenoe or one of the new super light skiff's would suffice but limit launch (parking) sites. Today I load & paddle a ScupperPro 56#, also have a Dorado which weighs in around 65#'s.

Have you considered an ultralight canoe? Hornbeck Boats makes a 12 footer out of carbon fiber that weighs only 13 pounds. It isn't cheap at about $2000 delivered to FL.
krash
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by krash »

That Versa Board looks like its somewhere between the SOT kayak and SUP, a good option for standing or sitting, but still dry weighs in at 55 pounds. Now if they made a version out of hybrid materials (glass/kevlar) it may suffice.

The canoes I'm looking at have several options for the same model, Royalex usually in the 50# range, Fiberglass down in the 40# class, then Keval or hybrid-builds in the 30# range.

Fiberglass or Hybrid SUP's are in the 30# class.
r3krobert wrote: Have you considered an ultralight canoe? Hornbeck Boats makes a 12 footer out of carbon fiber that weighs only 13 pounds. It isn't cheap at about $2000 delivered to FL.
Definetly have and that's likely the way I will go.. Wenonah also makes a Fusion 13' very light. The only drawback with a canoe is there are very few made for fishing or standing as they are all designed with the Northern rivers in mind, and all have a high free-board to catch the wind.

Stand Up Paddle boards as fishing platforms seem to be a fad.

DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

Fad? Perhaps but as a fellow who has been doing this a while, I can honestly say for my style of fishing it is my favorite platform to date. I ain't beholdin to Native in any way shape or form but as far as I'm concerns they nailed it with the VB. I don't do the ten mile days any more so speed isn't as important to me as it once was but I have never had an issue keeping up with the old farts I'm lucky enough to fish with now and again.
Only slight draw back to me is hull slap. Don't know that it spooks fish but I hear it when the ripples kick up. A bit annoying but I guess it's a trade off for the stability.

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
Rik

Post by Rik »

The Versaboard isn't a SUP. If you had to stand on that boat all the time you wouldn't like it so much. I agree with Krash. Serious fisherpeople won't stick with a SUP over the long term or as their primary fishing paddle craft.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
sfurman
Supporter 2010 - 2013

Post by sfurman »

Personally I just can't see using a SUP. Haven't tried one and don't even want to. I am usually open to anything, those things just don't do it for me, at all.
My posts are my opinion only.
Steve
TRKpoker

Post by TRKpoker »

I fished this last weekend (Sunday) with a young guy that stood up on his Versa board nearly all day but I agree with Rik I wouldnt want to do it.
jaeforceone

Post by jaeforceone »

bote seems like a nice platform but for around 1200-1400 dollars I'd settle for a used hobie. kevlar aint cheap I suppose
Native Manta Ray 14 Sand
krash
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by krash »

jaeforceone wrote:bote seems like a nice platform but for around 1200-1400 dollars I'd settle for a used hobie. kevlar aint cheap I suppose
Hobie's are far to heavy for my old body... and they don't make any in kevlay/hybrid builds.