Dolphin Fish Thief

Manning
Supporter 2009 - 2013

Dolphin Fish Thief

Post by Manning »

The other day I was out in a stinkpot with my farther-in-law and we got into the Spanish mackerel pretty good. We probably caught 20 of them. While we were there we had some dolphins hanging around trying to get the fish we were releasing. There was on really large dolphin that was also pretty aggressive. My father-in-law is kind of slow reeling in the fish. He had on what appeared to be a good size fish and the big dolphin was following it in. The fish was less than 30 feet behind the boat when there was a big tug on the line and then nothing. The dolphin swam up along side the boat rolled on it's side and swam off. Then we reeled in the line the braid was broken off. Now I did not actually see the dolphin take that fish, but that is sure the way it looked to both of us. The mackerel was on a small Clark spoon. Has anyone else had this happen? Would a dolphin take a fish with a spoon in its mouth?
Being out on the water in the kayak is the prize. Catching fish is the bonus.

Steve
TRKpoker

Re: Dolphin Fish Thief

Post by TRKpoker »

I have had snook taken by dolphins on 2 different trips to Sanibel island. Once I was using live bait and got a snook. Other time I was using a DOA. Dolphin didnt care just took them both. Both times I was in the water up to my waist and both 20"+ snook.
jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

Post by jbdba01 »

A frequent event...especially if you're pitching threads at the Skyway. They're crafty buggers and know how to avoid the hook.
JB
Heywood

Post by Heywood »

I've seen one try to take a Kingfish from Noles.
"Anytime I shag a buddies wife I always cut the lawn when I'm done " ~ The Leg End ~
krash
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by krash »

There is a pass north of Captiva where the dolphin hang out and take pretty much anything you release. I've not seen them hit a fish on a line, seemed like they knew there was a hook burried in there somewhere, but there was little chance you could release a fish and a dolphin not catch it soon after release.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

SW, Live to Fish, Have Tackle will travel ... >,)))~> ~~~~
Chadryan

Post by Chadryan »

I went out on Hubbard's 39 hour trip a couple of months ago and we had a school of dolphin follow us all morning. It was almost impossible to reel a fish up past them. If you gave some slack when they grabbed your fish they would usually let go. If you just kept reeling, they would just pull the fish off the hook.
-Chad
WS Tarpon 140
Heritage Marquesa 14
justabucup

Post by justabucup »

I have not had a dolphin take a hooked fish but I have seen one catch a large snook and then show it to me by coming up to the seawall I was standing on and rolling on to its side to show me the fish it had just caught. One of my most vivid memories that I always treasure. Looking into its eye as it rolled over I could swear it was showing off to me.
Credo quia absurdum
GILs_GONE_WILD

Post by GILs_GONE_WILD »

Had some bass on a stringer taken from the side of my boat by a gator on Lake Tarpon. :shock:
GIL

"Only the half-mad are wholly alive." ~~~ Edward Abbey
TRKpoker

Post by TRKpoker »

OK, since we are talking about fish stealing. I was fishing several months ago and one of those swimming birds was following me closely for about 2 hrs. Tried to lose him but he would always catch up and he was trying to find fish in the shadow of my canoe. Finally I end up 300'+ from him and I hook my first fish. Nice 14" trout. While I am unhooking the trout the bird flies over and is watching me. I told the bird as I held it up "This fish is too much for you I will get you another." With that I tossed the very healthy fish behind me away from the bird and the bird dove instantly. Took him about 30 seconds to come up and he was a good 150' from me but that damn bird popped up with the trout. Took him about a min to get it into position but sure as crap he swallowed the fish. I couldnt believe he could get it down but he did. Then we flew off.
Rik

Post by Rik »

My bet is the dolphin grabbed it to rip it off the hook but you had a weak spot in the braid. I'm curious if he chomped the fish to eat around the hook but we'll never know.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
shamus
The Beaver Tickler

Post by shamus »

I've seen one try to take a Kingfish from Noles.
No need to worry about that anymore he never fishes.
0 0 1
MIKE I

Post by MIKE I »

Have had live baits stripped by dolphins for years around the skyway. Last few years we have Been shadowed by them from Miguel Bay to Emerson Pt. especially when out with the kids in the ladyfish and mackerel schools. They put on quite the show chasing released fish and laying boat side waiting for a free meal. Kids really love it.
Phi-4:6-7