Fishing DAys Suspended, Health

Norm
Supporter 2007 - 2014
Supporter 2007 - 2014

Re: Fishing DAys Suspended, Health

Post by Norm »

Damn, I need to check the main page more often. What the hell is going on Krash....sounds like your trying to emulate your name :? Get well soon, and listen to those Doctors. We will leave a few fish for you when you get better.
Obama just traded 5 Mercedes for a Slinky ....Greg Gutfeld
krash
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by krash »

Update, been a while and many are asking so here is where I am today..

Hit a milestone date 12/12/12, 12 weeks since surgery so the Sternum is technically healed.

Been home now 2 months, tail bone very sore from sitting around the house, tired of watching reruns and soap operas, but could not do to much else.

Started cardiac rehab 2 weeks ago and its going well, the 12 week date allows me to also start doing upper body stuff. This week the 12th they said no more easy stuff its game on and added an upper body machine called the grinder, I think I actually broke a bit of a sweat. Up to 20 minutes treadmill, 20 minutes recumbant stepper added arms to that device this week, and 10 minutes on the grinder.
I can stand or walk just about anywhere I want, last weekend went to an art show with the wife and spent 4 hours on my feet. I am also cleared to drive again, been doing that for 3 weeks now.

Still wearing an external defribrlator device, can't get wet, so no fishing or boating. The 12 week milestone since surgery means they will evaluate if the device can go by the way-side and/or if I need a permanent device implanted replacing my pace-maker again. Have 3 test set up for the next 2 weeks and an appointment on Jan 4th. to review and make that decision.

The doctor signed off the "Return to work" form, so I start back to work Monday 12/17/12. This is another big one as Short Term Disability ended Dec. 2nd, meaning no pay or benifits. I would have had to apply for Long Term Disability which is 60% pay and no medical benifits or company participation, worked a deal to take vacation time to remain on payroll till the form was signed and I could start back to work. The 17th had been the taret date for several weeks.

Til next year I'm still on medical restriction from fishing, physically doing very well. Medically stiill living with a Weak Heart hoping to recover, the doctor thinks I'm doing well and leads me to believe I will recover to a level we can all agree on, its a slow process and no need to panic.
Will be selling my kayaks and looking into either a canoe or other 30 pound fishing platform that will work for my type fishing.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

SW, Live to Fish, Have Tackle will travel ... >,)))~> ~~~~
bluebill

Post by bluebill »

KRASH,
I never did get to fish peacocks with you but if you keep making progress, we can make a trip in the spring.

I got over to Miami for a weekend in November and the peacock fishing was slow but did manage a few small to mediums.

Caught my first snook of the season today in a local canal mouth. The water has been so warm that the snook are still hanging out at the Gulf pass entrances.

As for light kayaks, I think Hurricane has a shorter one that is under 40#. And Wilderness Systems is offering a few styles made of the new lighter material.

Merry Christmas and GREAT health i the New year.

bluebill,
Pine Island, FL
Be thankful for every day and especially those fine days on the water
krash
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by krash »

Latest update, downturn.... need a new job ??

Returned to work on Monday with release in hand from the doctor, after walking around the building saying hello to everyone left, I get called to the boss's office, sat down and told Dec.31st will be my last day at the company, economic downturn.

So I need a job bad, with insurance benefits, soon I won't be able to make my monthly bills.
So if you know a company looking for Network support people let me know asap.

Life get's better every day....
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

GILs_GONE_WILD

Post by GILs_GONE_WILD »

Dang, all that's left is for someone to come along and kick your dog. :( Sorry to hear about this after what you've been through and seem to be pulling through. Wow.
GIL

"Only the half-mad are wholly alive." ~~~ Edward Abbey
krash
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by krash »

GILs_GONE_WILD wrote:Dang, all that's left is for someone to come along and kick your dog. :( Sorry to hear about this after what you've been through and seem to be pulling through. Wow.
To late, 2 weeks ago I was walking the dog and an old german sheapard attacked her.. set off my de-frib device trying to separate them...

krash
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by krash »

Had Pacemaker upgrade/replacement surgery Monday, successfully, Tuesday almost went South as the nurse was afraid to suggest release me due to my low blood pressure.. dam hospitals suck. No shit I have low blood pressure that's what they been trying to fix for 5 months. After several hours of arguing with the locals I managed to get the release and am home.

Sore as crap, but I now have the Lamborgini of defibrillator/pacemakers, can hardly move my left arm, probably 3 to 4 weeks before getting cleared to get wet and start back at rehab and 1 step closer to fishing again.

No longer look like an unfashionable Canadian tourist with a fanny pack or man purse hanging on my side, and no longer have to wear that uncomfortable Seinfeld style man bra. And I was able to sleep in my bed fro the first time since leaving the hospital last October.

Norm
Supporter 2007 - 2014
Supporter 2007 - 2014

Post by Norm »

Hope your finally on the mend now Krash :thumbright:
Obama just traded 5 Mercedes for a Slinky ....Greg Gutfeld
GILs_GONE_WILD

Post by GILs_GONE_WILD »

krash wrote: And I was able to sleep in my bed for the first time since leaving the hospital last October.
Holy moly. I remember having to sleep in my recliner for a week after I fracture my sternum but for MONTHS!?? Sheesh man.

Hang in there Krash!!!
GIL

"Only the half-mad are wholly alive." ~~~ Edward Abbey
krash
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by krash »

Yes months sux... recliner is actually chase recliner of a couch.. but that spot is pretty much ruined now, it wsa not just sleeping I spent most days there also..

Hanging on is about all I can do... there is no magic pill they can give me to make my heart better only time and slow drug tweaking might help. The highest odds on fix for now would be a transplant, but we ain't looking down that tube yet.

krash
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by krash »

Latest update, new upgraded pacemaker/defibrillator is working well, pain pretty much gone, left arm works but restricted from reaching out straight or to the left, reaching back, reaching up where elbow would go above shoulder for a coupe weeks. Can't lift, push, pull drag anything heavier than 5 pounds for 2 to 4 weeks. Cleared to drive if I feel like it, but a deployed airbag could have serious affect.

Financially, 2 steps back:
Unemployment, (I was laid off after returning to work for 1 day), who previously approved my claim, paid me my first check... sent 2 letters 1 saying my claim had been disapproved and they want the first check they sent back immediately, second letter said they want me in their office on 2/5 for an interrogation meeting and training on how to find a job.

Social security disability claim has been denied... Attorney time on this one.

krash
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by krash »

Update, new upgraded pacemaker/defibrillator is working and I been cleared to do anything I feel like including fishing. I feel like fishing but no upper body strength for loading/unloading kayak yet. Gonna clean up the Dorado and sell it, looking for something lighter while working out at rehab to build some more strength.
I think if Cayo or Dragonfly were to donate a demo SUP for free press it would solve my problem.

Unemployment, still not getting any.
Social security disability claim denied, filled out the paperwork and filed for re-consideration. Attorney time on this one I think.

Does anyone know a good Social Security Disability Attorney ?

howitser

Post by howitser »

Glad to hear your getting better. Follow orders and you'll be fishing before ya know it. Oddly enough I have a friend in New Port Richey who had a very similar occurrence last spring. He didn't get to the degenerated heart valve stage but he was attacked by an unusual bacteria that attacked his heart and system, went thru the same heavy chemo and all. He is back to normal now but it took the best part of a year to get here. It sounds very similar, I hope the medical swamy's are keeping track of this stuff.

Good luck
Howie
poppawheelie
Location: beutiful Snuffner (seffner for you city boys) Florida

Post by poppawheelie »

krash wrote:Update, new upgraded pacemaker/defibrillator is working and I been cleared to do anything I feel like including fishing. I feel like fishing but no upper body strength for loading/unloading kayak yet. Gonna clean up the Dorado and sell it, looking for something lighter while working out at rehab to build some more strength.
I think if Cayo or Dragonfly were to donate a demo SUP for free press it would solve my problem.

Unemployment, still not getting any.
Social security disability claim denied, filled out the paperwork and filed for re-consideration. Attorney time on this one I think.

Does anyone know a good Social Security Disability Attorney ?
oquist and ass. 727-578-1998 tell them ben adkins referred you. good greedy redneck lawer!! loves 4x4s boats fishing ect...
krash
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by krash »

Back on the Water... sold the ScupperPro and bought a new to me used Wenonah Vagabond from Connie a couple weeks ago...

What a good day, I got up loaded the canoe on the Civic and went fishing. The weather was not the best but it was the best we've had in days since I got the canoe..
Good news I can load the canoe alone, I think I'll build or utilize a cart to move it to/from the water, today Vivian helped me unload and move to the water and Connie helped in the opposite direction.
Paddled several miles with no problems except a few sore shoulder muscles that have not been used in a while.. I did get wet, quick escape, while standing and casting, good news is Connie was not around to get photographic evidence, Vivian was not far off and she just wanted to know if I was still alive and did I loose anything. I need to remember to bring a bailer, could double as a porta-potti.
Did not catch anything, had a few 3" foot cuda hits, cut off by one, DOA Airheads totally slashed apart by others, saw a nice little shark, and a hungry Porpise working the flats right next to us.

Photographic evidence, taken by Vivian: