Hobie Revolution 13 vs Tarpon 140

MLB01

Hobie Revolution 13 vs Tarpon 140

Post by MLB01 »

Currently have a WS Ride 135 but been considering 2nd kayak. Thought I was set on Tarpon but then had a chance to use a Hobie Revolution. Now reconsidering, maybe Revolution would give me more versatility with my Ride 135.

Anyone have any personal experience and can offer any input. How are the Hobies as far as durability especially the mirage drive. I fish mostly bays, flats and some small lakes. Don't know how the Hobie would do in skinny water, but I guess could use the Ride for that.

I would think the rev would be faster than the Ride and able to cover more distant, but you think rev is faster and able to cover more water than the Tarpon 140
nowake

Re: Hobie Revolution 13 vs Tarpon 140

Post by nowake »

I have a hobie revolution 13 and like its ride. The mirage drive is nice for hands free fishing. The issue of swallow water is easily handled by pushing a pedal forward which fold the fins up flat against the hull. Hold the pedal forward and breaking out the paddle for locomotion. The mirage drive is easy to maintain ( rinse and light oil). The hobie's are a little on the heavy side to carry but the plastic seems thicker than in my ocean kayak. Hope this helps :fishing:
Tide1on

Post by Tide1on »

I would also take a look at the warranty on each of them.
NATIVE Redfish14
Your Wallet - The one place Democrats are willing to drill

Steve
Norm
Supporter 2007 - 2014
Supporter 2007 - 2014

Post by Norm »

Just owned a Hobie Rev 13. Very fast boat....just can't stand up in it. I now have a Native Slayer....very very ssssslooow boat....but I can stand. Not fair to compare the WS Ride to the Hobie....just two totally different type of platforms for fishing. I did find I had to break out my paddle quite alot with the Revo.
Obama just traded 5 Mercedes for a Slinky ....Greg Gutfeld
MLB01

Post by MLB01 »

Not comparing to a WS Ride, comparing to a Tarpon 140
Fishaddict
Supporter 2013

Post by Fishaddict »

I have a HOBIE Revolution 13 and before that the Outback SUV. The mirage drive properly washed and lubed after each trip is fine. I have had mine since 2006 and no problems.

As to the ride it is fine.. it it fast with the Turbo ST fins and Yes is a bit heavier than others.. BUT, no problems with mine in 5 years. Warranty is normally 2 yrs on new one... Had one hull replaced but that was due to old style drive mount. New one seems to be fine.

Wouldn't own any other for myself.
[b][i]Have Boat ... Will Fish[/i][/b]
MLB01

Post by MLB01 »

Thanks, I purchased the Revo a few weeks ago and love this boat, still have my WS Ride 135, not sure if I want to keep it or sell it. Probably like to keep it, great fishing platform and very versatile.