Kayak Fishing Canine Companion

bluebill

Kayak Fishing Canine Companion

Post by bluebill »

I would appreciate suggestions from those with experience for small dog breeds to consider as an occasional kayak passenger.

I lost my mini-schnauzerrecently. She was a good size but did not like water.
Be thankful for every day and especially those fine days on the water
Rik

Re: Kayak Fishing Canine Companion

Post by Rik »

Barnacle is a 9 pound Yorkiepoo. Swims good when he falls out but doesn't jump out on his own. The only downside is that he thinks all fish should die and can get whiny out of anticipation when I'm casting.

Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
Walt_Trident13

Post by Walt_Trident13 »

I've got a mini Schnauzer. He can barely swim (even with his life vest) and hates the water. Must be the breed or something. I'm sure any small dog would be great.
http://www.youtube.com/brentwaltersmith" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

Post by jbdba01 »

From the musuem of interesting timing...you may want to check out this article.
JB
Buda

Post by Buda »

My Mini Schnauzer did not like the water at first, but after some encouragement he loves it now. I think it is all in the training when they are young. He jumps out of the kayak when he sees something that he likes or when he wants to go to an island now, which is why he wears the vest.

krash
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by krash »

Go to the local rescue facilities.. just pick a dog you like and save its life of living in cages or worse.. all dogs make good companions.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

SW, Live to Fish, Have Tackle will travel ... >,)))~> ~~~~
bluebill

Post by bluebill »

Rik - thanks for the description and photo of Barnacle - one of his breed is probably very close to what I want - I am still thinking this through but sense that I must get another doggy companion
bluebill

Post by bluebill »

jbdba01 - thanks to link to Pasco County Animal services - cannot get up there today but will contact them to see what is left over after the big adoption event

Buda - thanks for the story and photos of your mini-schnauzer - so great that he likes water - gives me hope to find one or a mix of mini schnauzer with ? ( a Y-Poo ??)

Krash - great to see your post - and yes, again, you have great advice to save one from the pound - if it is a male, can I name him Krash? Fishing the small Floating Rapala Flat Raps here, catching all kinds of fish with them and am practicing for Peacock Bass in Miami next spring.
Mark R

Post by Mark R »

bluebill wrote:jbdba01 - thanks to link to Pasco County Animal services - cannot get up there today but will contact them to see what is left over after the big adoption event
Krash - great to see your post - and yes, again, you have great advice to save one from the pound - if it is a male, can I name him Krash? Fishing the small Floating Rapala Flat Raps here, catching all kinds of fish with them and am practicing for Peacock Bass in Miami next spring.
Bluegill the leftovers are the very best!
"Likes smokey old pool rooms N clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
Skeeter

Post by Skeeter »

I tried my Labrador in the kayak one time.
The trip only lasted 5 minutes but it was great entertainment for the people at the ramp.
Fishin Worms and Investment Advice Inc.
Mark R

Post by Mark R »

Skeeter wrote:I tried my Labrador in the kayak one time.
The trip only lasted 5 minutes but it was great entertainment for the people at the ramp.
Charley......Kayak - I gotta see the video! So, that new PFD worked alright?
"Likes smokey old pool rooms N clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?