Native Ultimate's

krash
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Native Ultimate's

Post by krash »

For you in the know experienced in Native Ultimate's....

Whats the paddling & fishing differences in an Ultimate 12 and a 14.. specs are simple enough length and weight plus the ability in the 14 to do solo or tandem...

Does anyone know what makes the Ultimate 12 weigh 49 pounds, five pounds more than the Ultimate 12 Basic weighing in at 44 pounds ?
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

SW, Live to Fish, Have Tackle will travel ... >,)))~> ~~~~
noles

Re: Native Ultimate's

Post by noles »

I opted for the 14 over the 12 just purely for the extra length. I can't compare the performance between the two on the water since I have never paddle the 12. I figure the additional length would get me more glide per stroke and room for another passenger. I've had my 3 y.o. and my 10 year old (one at a time of course) in the 14 and that was fine. I would not put an adult in the boat to use as a tandem.
"whose that little motherf***er with the fly rod"
ChrisR
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by ChrisR »

I've had both boats. The U12 is very nimble. Great for small creeks and other tight quarters. It is not a boat that you are going to want to paddle very far. Its a dog, and doesn't really maintain momentum. The U14 turns slower, but paddles very well. With a rudder, it is nimble enough for me to navigate in small spaces.

It is my understanding that the difference between the U12 and the U12 basic is that the basic does not come with adapt-a-track accessory rails, elbow and thigh pads, or the easy foot braces. I'm not sure that I believe those things add up to 5lbs, but I would imagine thats the difference in weight.
Rik

Post by Rik »

The 12 wobbles back and forth a bit when paddling. They used to have a retractable skeg to help with that problem however they were usually stuck if not constantly maintained. Not sure they still have it on the new ones.

I find the 14 much easier to stand in. And Chris is right, the 12 doesn't paddle anywhere near as well as the 14.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

What Chris and Rik wrote.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

I paddle the U-12 basic to which I added a rudder and that really helps with tracking.
As an 'old timer', the 50 lbs. was most attractive to me.
As to the weight difference the seat in the basic is not quite the same. It only has one layer of material where the U-12 Model with all the accessories also has a double layer of seat material thus a little more weight.
The U-14 is more stable because the body width is longer.
Norm
Supporter 2007 - 2014
Supporter 2007 - 2014

Post by Norm »

I have owned both...and I echo what Rik and Chris both said as well. The only thing I might add was that the 14 on a drift is slower(good thing) than the 12. I also wouldn't advise using the 14 as a tandem for anything other than a small child.
Obama just traded 5 Mercedes for a Slinky ....Greg Gutfeld
MLB01

Post by MLB01 »

How do the Native Ultimate compare to the Nucaone Frontier 12. Have been considering both of these boats.
bicoastal

Post by bicoastal »

Joe, everything I've heard about the Frontier is that it's only truly mobile with a trolling motor. At 41" wide I think it would be awkward with even a 260 cm paddle.
Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 The Red Rocket
Wilderness Systems Ride 135 Sage
krash
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by krash »

MLB01 wrote:How do the Native Ultimate compare to the Nucaone Frontier 12. Have been considering both of these boats.
There is little comparison between the Native Ultimate and the NuCanoe except maybe the debate of either being SOT vs SIN.... You can stand in either but I would not want to paddle a NuCanoe very far or load/unload from backyard to car top to water and back.

SW, Live to Fish, Have Tackle will travel ... >,)))~> ~~~~