Performance Kayak Fishing Hulls

Questions and answers on anything related to kayak or canoe fishing
pag_yaker

Post by pag_yaker »

Over on the Florida Sportsman no-motor forum there's been some spirited discussions concerning "why aren't manufacturers listening to what people want", especially when it comes to performance kayak fishing hulls. I heard enough, and whipped this little ditty out. Feel free to coment here or over there.

Rev. Tom

Post by Rev. Tom »

Very sound reply.

Just curious (since I don't read the forum for which you wrote) the guys/gals want faster/more efficient kayaks? How much faster do they think they will go? Surely they would benefit more from pushing back from the dinner table a little sooner and hitting the gym than dropping some serious coin on a (marginally) better hull.

I used to work at a bicycle shop and it cracked me up when a rider with his belly hanging over his belt was thinking about buying the newest bike because ABC/XYZ had managed to shave a quarter pound off the frame. Not sure if the performance kayak guys are the same/similar, but it brought back memeories just-the-same.

Rev. Tom
"My knowledge can only be finite, while my ignorance must, necessarily, be infinite."
--Karl Popper
Rik

Post by Rik »

There's one thing that was not mentioned when looking at "performance hulls". While speed is certainly subjective and most of us would not be able to feel a half knot more of speed, we would all feel better glide between strokes.

From personal experience - I own both - the Tarpon 16 feels much faster then the Tarpon 14 and I attribute this to the increased glide of the 16. Top end speed may not be all that different over the long haul but the 16 is easier to get to speed and easier to keep at speed.

This translates into less work to accomplish the same thing. While both kayaks may get from point A to point B in the same amount of time, it is easier to do it in the 16.

If you start from a dead stop in both boats and take just 4 healthy strokes, the 16 will go further before it returns to a stop. That is attributed to the increased glide of the 16 over the 14. Over the course of the day, that means less work to accomplish the same thing. I'm for that.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
pag_yaker

Post by pag_yaker »

People seem to want a boat that is fast yet stable, tracks like it's on rails yet turns on dime, has low freeboard yet isn't a wet ride, and is made of super lightweight materials yet is priced like a rotomolded poly boat.

IT AIN'T HAPPENIN' FOLKS ! You can have pieces of the pie, but not all at once.
Rik

Post by Rik »

don't forget the cup holder
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
pag_yaker

Post by pag_yaker »

RBL wrote:don't forget the cup holder
.... that's a given. :)
Rev. Tom

Post by Rev. Tom »

pag_yaker wrote:People seem to want a boat that is fast yet stable, tracks like it's on rails yet turns on dime, has low freeboard yet isn't a wet ride, and is made of super lightweight materials yet is priced like a rotomolded poly boat.

IT AIN'T HAPPENIN' FOLKS ! You can have pieces of the pie, but not all at once.
There is a saying in the bicycle industry (attributable to Keith Bontrager, I think) regarding bicycle frames and parts:

"Light, strong, cheap...pick two."

I am certain this applies here as well.

Rev. Tom
"My knowledge can only be finite, while my ignorance must, necessarily, be infinite."
--Karl Popper
ozmo

Post by ozmo »

Same thing in the computer/consulting industry:

You can have your project done quickly, cheaply, or correctly. Pick two.
cubs83

Post by cubs83 »

pag...I have hardly heard about the "popular demand" for high performance hull fishing kayaks on the other forum. Only on that one thread with that select moron...I mean individual...did I hear that.

Then there are people that enjoy the high performance aspect...but those people actually go buy them.

I own the best of both worlds with a Heritage Redfish and the Fisherman Pro 17. One gives me the everyday fishing needs and the other gives me speed but lacks stability, fishability, and manueverability...but she sure does fly!
trans·plant 
–verb (used with object)
1. to remove (a plant) from one place and plant it in another.
2. to move from one place to another.
3. to bring (a family, colony, etc.) from one country, region, etc., to another for settlement; relocate.
Rik

Post by Rik »

Yeah, but don't you kind of get a glimmer in your eye when you see those nice hulls that weigh 32 pounds?
pag_yaker

Post by pag_yaker »

Long ago (back on 1998), in a land far far away (SC, the armpit of the universe), I was playing in a band for a living while working in a music store, similar to Sam Ash. Since I was an employee, I got the good breaks on new stuff and REALLY worked the numbers on trade ins. As a result, I found myself playing high dollar Les Paul's, Strats, PRS, Jacksons, you name it. Trouble is, I was playing in a club 5 nights a week and was always scared to death that I'd get a scratch on one of my treasures. Then one day it dawned on me that my hot rodded American Std Strat ($400 my cost) sounded and played every bit as good as my custom shop model ($2500 my cost). I eventually sold all my collector guitars because I'm a player, not a collector - they don't strut their stuff in the case or on a stand.

My point - ya buy what you're comfortable with. Yeah, those $2000 hull boats are nice, quick, gorgeous, and all that. I'm sure I'd be proud to own one. But, for what I do, where I go, and how I'd likely treat it, I'll stick to the poly boats - and for what one of those boats cost, I can buy 3 poly boats and have my friends tag along. Those numbers just work better for me.

Oh yeah, before I left that line of work I did buy another Fender custom shop Strat. The day it came in, I took it out of the box ... took it out of the case ... my buddies gathered around and we bathed in it's one-of-a-kind beauty and craftsmanhip. Then I flipped it over, took out my truck key and made a *tiny* nick next to the neck plate. One of my comrades had to leave the room. But now, it had that first scratch, and I could ENJOY playing it in the clubs now. It's just wood - it's a tool. It looks like hell now - belt buckle scratches on the back - sweat has done a number on the finish - the neck is worn - I made more than enough money to cover the cost. But it's got a story to tell. :)

I perform the same ritual on new kayaks now as well - I'm funny like that. I borrowed a kayak from Paul Silvernail (Masthead Enterprises) yesterday. Brand new - never hit the water. Paul said to treat it like my very own ... so, I gotta do what I gotta do. Sorry Paul ... :)
Bigfish171
Supporter 2007 - 2014
Supporter 2007 - 2014

Post by Bigfish171 »

a rider with his belly hanging over his belt
Actually I have the "belly over the belt" quite useful for keeping my paddle in place while fishing.
Dave
Rev. Tom

Post by Rev. Tom »

Bigfish171 wrote:
a rider with his belly hanging over his belt
Actually I have the "belly over the belt" quite useful for keeping my paddle in place while fishing.
Unfortunately, so do I. I have no problem with anyone's physique. It just cracks me up when the solution to a weight problem is buying new equipment not reducing one's own weight. I have begun trying to do this myself. Instead of buying a newer, lighter kayak ($800 or more) I joined the YMCA for a year (about $700.00).
--Karl Popper