6-10-06 ~ TARPON SIGHTINGS - VIDEO - TROUT - MACKERAL

Flamingo to Big Bend
prowler13angler

6-10-06 ~ TARPON SIGHTINGS - VIDEO - TROUT - MACKERAL

Post by prowler13angler »

Things have been ruff around the house...and it doesn't look like i will be doing too much yakkin, unless its with my mom....

Well, that's what i did, i launched out a little south of where i normally go but with my mom, so i couldn't stay out for very long. My original plan was to go out, have a nice paddle, and troll some swimming baits in the little bit deeper water i was headed. Not at all how it turned out...Got out, it was humid, and i have no idea how to troll :roflmao: So instead i parked and threw out my TerrorEye and first cast got a small Spanish mack. They were tearing it up and cutting it, so i threw on a spoon and caught one other one. Nothing bigger than 10-11inches.

Moved on and caught a couple small trout and a lady fish... there were allot of dolphins and i think sharks in the morning. I didn't even plan on posting a report today, but what i seen next was great...A roll, of something. Wasn't a dolphin, and pretty sure it wasn't a shark. I paddled towards it and then i seen it...TARPON! A head of a tarpon came clear out of the water. I was shocked. :eek3: First tarpon spotted from the kayak. I kept on paddling, and seen a few shadows swimming around. I knew they were not dolphin's and was pretty sure they weren't sharks (What do you guys think?). Let alone a small school of tarpon. I though long and hard sitting right on top of that school, "Should i cast?", "What if i caught one?", "Listen to Cubs83, and get some experience first?", "Could my tackle hold?".

Came to the conclusion just to leave them alone and enjoy the sight. AND TO BUST OUT THE CAMERA! Couldn't leave my buddies on the forums with nothing! Sorry for the quality of the video's, my camera is not great... But all you photo-shop guys, See if you can clear something up from the video =) Please.

Had to be back in soon, so i drifted and paddled and fished a little. Caught a small trout and a lizard fish! Just for photo's of the report! Enjoy!!

Tarpon videos: (If they do not work for some reason, i can post them from another host)

1. Long - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45-E4c6s1xE
2. Short - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meiM9HoqKWk

Other:
Terroreyes will catch anything, even lizard fish and lady fish!

Average size trout:
Hornetbear

Post by Hornetbear »

That video is tight. Nice job. Like the post style too.

As for the tarpon... I think you should've probably gone for it. Those terroreyes work pretty well for tarpon. What's the worst that happens? You get drug out to sea and never seen again. No problemo. You can always palm the spool if it gets too wierd. I think you'd be able to handle those no problem. nice job.
prowler13angler

Sorry for stealing your style :)

10# 150 yrd PowerPro?

You think that could have done it?
Hornetbear

Post by Hornetbear »

prowler13angler wrote:Sorry for stealing your style :)

10# 150 yrd PowerPro?

You think that could have done it?
Sure! Youre the man!

The world record for 8 lb test is 147 lbs!

Tarpon (8 lb) 147 lbs. 6 oz. - 66.84 kgs
Key West Florida, USA Anton Zukas Mar. 26, 1982 LC
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

There is no way I could have resisted....I would have casted right at them. I don't care what Cubs says. :lol:
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
AKA Rod

Post by AKA Rod »

Nice pictures,and I enjoyed the video.
I am too old to die young.
MarkM
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by MarkM »

p13- What time were you on the water yesterday? I'm asking because I was sitting in front of Honeymoon Island yesterday for three solid hours before I started seeing fish just before 9 AM. But of course the fleet of boats there started seeing them too, and when they all fire their engines up at once to jockey for position, you might as well leave, which is what I did. But I was wondering if I had felt like paddling to an emptier spot and waiting a little longer if I would have seen more fish. Doing what yours were doing. :D

And I'm with Todd, I would have gone ballistic tossing to those fish. Them's the kind that eats!
prowler13angler

I didn't see those particular fish untill about 10-11AM

No boats in site of those fish at all. There was alot of other rolls i seen out there all threw the day, mostly afternoon. What lead me to pull out my camera, is i seen one fish in that school get half of his body out of the water on a roll...It was amazing. Too bad none on film.

I thought long and hard about trying to hook up.
1.) No drift chute
2.) no experience with anyfish over 7 pounds give or take.
3.) Mom would have been mad i was late :wink:
4.) First time in deeper than 10-15 ft of water
5.) No where near the right tackle

...I just wasn't sure
Rev. Tom

Post by Rev. Tom »

Don't worry over your decision P13. You made it, now live with it. I know others have said they would have tossed a lure, so in contrast just remember the whole thing about discretion being the better part of valor.
"My knowledge can only be finite, while my ignorance must, necessarily, be infinite."
--Karl Popper
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

Toddlle wrote: I don't care what Cubs says. :lol:
Ahhhh. Another disciple.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
prowler13angler

rev

Post by rev »

That video was awesome. Great camera work.
spf105

Post by spf105 »

prowler13angler wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZL6inPE ... rch=tarpon

What if that happens??
Then you successfully landed a tarpon. :lol:
-Shawn-
Uncle Tommy
Black Tip Tommy

Post by Uncle Tommy »

I wonder if that's where they stopped shooting video or did they edit between the cool and uncool portions of the film...
Please, call me Kate
prowler13angler

Thank you - Rev

Shawn, :lol: Good way to put it.
ray-uk

Post by ray-uk »

cool stuff young sir, good video.Image

I thought long and hard about trying to hook up.
1.) No drift chute
2.) no experience with anyfish over 7 pounds give or take.
3.) Mom would have been mad i was late
4.) First time in deeper than 10-15 ft of water
5.) No where near the right tackle
good call jon, for what it's worth, i think you made the right decision.

ray.
I'm not here to be liked. I do this for the good of the paddle-fishing community.