S.O.T.E. Destination Page?

Should we have a SOTE destination page?

Yes: New areas to fish would be a benefit to us all.
65%
No: I prefer to save the S.O.T.E. fishing area for a select few.
17%
Remove the Destinations page all together
18%

Total votes: 83

X-Capt Bill

Post by X-Capt Bill »

:wink:
XCB
JohnS

Post by JohnS »

I must have missed something entertaining :)

A "Where can I park and not get my truck broken into" page is about what I've used the current destinations lage for. I don't want to know anyone's sekrit spot, I'm perfectly happy finding my own places to not catch fish :roll:

I seldom go anyplace but the East Bay, it's rare I see anyone besides the occasional stinkpot.
Sometimes you're ahead, sometimes you're behind. The race is long and, in the end, it's only with yourself.
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

DaveR wrote:Any day now it will be ready.
Will it be this week? If it is I may have to cancel my trip to Belize. :wink:
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
BlueCrab

Post by BlueCrab »

I voted to get rid of it. Any charts without dots is useless to me. Now, those red hashmarks over miles of large flats on those Top Spot charts: pure gold!
Old School T160

Marion Jay "JayB" Brewington
July 26, 1949 - April 16, 2009
Norm
Supporter 2007 - 2014
Supporter 2007 - 2014

http://cybermessageboard.ehost.com/paddlef/viewtopic.php?t=1

Post by Norm »

While I am a relative newbie to Kayak fishing, I do agree that the destination page should be removed. I have to say with the one exception of DB, I had fished all of the areas previously with my flats boat. Having sold it over 4yrs ago, I was beside myself with depression till I purchased my first yak. The guys here have been more than helpful on rigging, transporting and lures and general equipment needed.
Really over half the fun has been relearning the areas from a new perspective. I have likened kayak fishing to archery hunting. Archery made me a better hunter and kayaking while some would argue my skill may not have increased a damn bit, my enjoyment level is off the scale.
Just like I have taught my kids...you dont really appreciate something till you have earned it and you gain nothing by just giving it to them. The learning is in the DOING. I have always tried to be respectful of anyones fishing spots and only if they chose to share with me would I go there.

Now...that being said...I will be vacationing for a few days toward the end of this week on the beaches of Sarasota...and I will have my binoculars close by as I walk the beach there :wink:

Norm
Obama just traded 5 Mercedes for a Slinky ....Greg Gutfeld
GILs_GONE_WILD

Post by GILs_GONE_WILD »

Skeeter wrote: Not sure I really care either Terry and I hope everybody knows I'm just joking with my SOTE fishing buddies about holding an "impartial" pole.
AND ... I hope everyone knows I was just "stirrin' the pot" with my post about Ft. D being NOTE, not SOTE.

Actually, I could care less as it's all part of the great state of Florida and more specific, West Central Florida .... our home. :wink:
GIL

"Only the half-mad are wholly alive." ~~~ Edward Abbey
TerryW

Post by TerryW »

General Secretary Rik, if you seek peace, if you seek prosperity for the kayakanglers NOTE and SOTE, if you seek harmony among your peers: Come here to this website! Mr. Rik, go to your administration page! Mr. Rik, sir, take down this Destinations Page!
35/34.5/26 24/22/1/1

I finally found Cow Creek. It's at the end of the Road to Nowhere!
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

DaveR wrote:Any day now it will be ready.
Still waiting.
Skeeter

Post by Skeeter »

Dave told me he has been ready to release it several times but keeps finding new spots he wants to add.
Fishin Worms and Investment Advice Inc.
justabucup

Post by justabucup »

I heard Dave tried to put it up but ut was ***DELETED BY THE NEW MANAGEMENT***!
Credo quia absurdum
TroutTracker

Post by TroutTracker »

I think the destinations should be pulled as well; there are no fishing spots either N.O.T.E. or S.O.T.E. whoever told you there are is lying.

By now everyone knows there are no fish to be found anywhere, fish are a fallicy. Fishing is like the quest for the Holy Grail, everyone wants to be the one to find it but it's just not to be found.

So DaveR, keep those S.O.T.E. spots close to heart,(We all know they don't exist anyway) take down the N.O.T.E. destinations pages.
Stop sending people on a wild goose chase.

Now if everyone really insists on having the destinations page, then I think it would be prudent to encrypt the pages, then to all members of P-F.com issue them a secret decoder ring so they could then so they and only they would know where and how to get to the launches; but only for recreational paddling since there are no fish anyway.
Yeller Scupper Pro

John
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

I'm toying with the idea of putting them in vending machines on I75 and I95. That way when all of Buc's friends come to visit they can tell his sorry ass where to fish.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

Can you put them at the South rest area of the Skyway? That way I can stop on my way down and figure out where I am going.

Really looking forward to this Dave. Thanks for contributing to the p-f.com family in such a gracious way.
DayFisher

Post by DayFisher »

There has got to be an answer.
I've lived in Tampa for 36yrs. Mostly wade/beach/pier.
Then I bought a kayak. Did I fish the same areas I had before? Yes.
Did I find other places to fish? Also, yes.
Did the destinations page help? Very much so.
Now, having been on the site awhile if I have a Q abt a certain area, I get the info I need usually thru the "P-F.com Underground Railroad".
But in the beginning, it was nice to not have to ask, I could just consult the Dest. page, load up and go.
While I fully understand abandoning the Dest. page altogether (I've heard the argument ad nauseum over the years :roll: ), look at it from this angle.
Yea, there are some fisherPEOPLE on the site that are lucky enough to have the time to enjoy the " I'll find my own fishing spots." or "Half the fun is driving around finding my own put-ins" ideals, the price of gas alone is enough of an argument for the second line. The time I found-find to fish, as I'm guessing is the same for MOST, is usually wedged between family obligations and work. If you have neither or just a better juggler than I am, driving/hunting/recon time is less of an issue.
If this casts me in bad light with the majority of the forum members, I don't know what to say.
When I found time to get away for a few hours having a general idea of where to go and how to get there was a blessing and I was thankful to have the info.
The answer may be in a less descriptive evaluation of the destination. Just give locale/safe to park/pertanent launch info.
I don't know.
I support some sort of launch info for the same reason 8 times out of 10 I post a "I'll be fishing **** in the morning" posts.
Let the sport continue to be INCLUSIVE not EXCLUSIVE.
KH
Hauling Dead Dinosaurs for Your Vehicles Consumptive Delight to a Gas Station near You!!
DayFisher
MrSpectaculous

Post by MrSpectaculous »

Keith, I feel your pain brother. knowing where to put in is a big help and for me more important then the area to fish info....but it is flawed in the sense of safety because my $700.00 disposable car gets a lot less criminal attention then some of you guys 50k transport trucks. I'd park my car any where with out fear because my losses are not that great. I'll even park where i'm not supposed to like the side of the hwy.

I like the underground network even tho' I don't utilize it much. I fish primarily 3 area and am developing a circle of fishing buds that expand my knowledge base. Joining a club and the frequent pm's with tips and advice are what make this site the premier choice for me.

Perhaps instead of a destinations page we could assign areas to people for the new blood to contact privately...you could have multiple people for an area so the maximum information gets exchanged (Or minimum for that matter)...As for me i'm only willing to share with fellow kayakers..the stink potters we all seem to fear don't interest me. Plus this would keep the fishers of spots only members (Lurkers) to minimum.

I remain confident in my abilty to locate fish... a good put in is a whole nother animal.
I think I can dance.
Bill
Ultimate 14.5
Purple Emotion GS