Pine Island Put-in

Flamingo to Big Bend
SteveB

Pine Island Put-in

Post by SteveB »

Does anyone know of any spots to put the yak in on the West side of Pine Island, I usually fish Matlacha area, thanks in advance for any help
Rik

Post by Rik »

It sure would be nice if some of the southern guys would write something for the Destinations page about that area.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
X-Capt Bill

Post by X-Capt Bill »

There are no fish near Pine Island.
XCB
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

What area do you want to fish?

I only know of 2 put ins in the Matlatcha area that would get you to the West Side of Pine Island and you mentioned one of them.
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
JKL

Post by JKL »

This should give you what you need.

http://greatcalusablueway.com/map/pdf/GCB_phase2.pdf

JKL
Rik

Post by Rik »

You mean other sites have Destination pages too?
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
L.B.

Post by L.B. »

Nice map JKL.
I know one thing for sure- Indecision may or may not be my problem.
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

Jug Creek in Bokeelia is good and also the small monument park in Pine Land, both worth a try. Some great fishing round there, pity it's so far from my house :oops:
"If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree." - Michael Crichton
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

You see Cubs. Even though you hate me like poison I kept all info private. Do Ya love me now?
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
cubs83

Post by cubs83 »

No.

Every launch that I know of that's legal is on that map posted by JKL. During the Calusa Blueway Tournament, the top 4 places fished in Matlacha and Bokeelia.

What kind of kayak do you have? Maybe I'll see you out there one day...
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

Thought for sure that would win you over. Unrequited love. The horror, the horror. :cry: :cry: :cry:
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
Rev. Tom

Post by Rev. Tom »

DaveR wrote:Thought for sure that would win you over. Unrequited love. The horror, the horror. :cry: :cry: :cry:
Unrequited love! That made me laugh out loud. Good one DaveR.
"My knowledge can only be finite, while my ignorance must, necessarily, be infinite."
--Karl Popper
bluebill

Pine Island - West Side

Post by bluebill »

I am in the process of moving to Pine Island now and live there after the end of July.

I had the same question as you and explored the prospects time permitting.

You can put in at the Pineland Marina or nearby and paddle north, south or island hop west until you reach Cayo Costa. The wind was already kicking up from Alberto on Sunday and the water close to shore on the west side was murky. Saw some tarpon rolling though so they are not all at Boca Grande.

There does not seem to be anything else but mangroves until you get down to the south end at St James City. There, you can put in at any of the marinas for free or a small fee and paddle a short distance in one of the canals and be out to the south. From there you can paddle west to York Island then head north along the west side. This is somewhat remote with very few amenities but great for the mangrove fisherman.

Other public put ins that are not on the west side are in Bokeelia which gets you right out into Charlotte Harbor - big water. And, as mentioned, the public park in Matlacha that gets you into lots of fishy looking water.

That is all I know for now so lets compare notes via this forum.

Bluebill
Be thankful for every day and especially those fine days on the water