Spincasters vs Baitcasters

Which do you prefer for throwing artificials?

Spinning Reels
75%
Baitcasters
25%

Total votes: 60

paddln4reds

Post by paddln4reds »

Spinning...I don't know how to use a baitcaster. :?
Rick

T140 Yellow
T120 Slate
T130 Mango
T130 Lime
Dustin

Post by Dustin »

You guys who poke fun at bass fishermen don't have much appreciation for true fishing skill ;). Just about any good bass fisherman can make the typical saltwater guy look like a total clown from a casting and technique standpoint. Spend some time watching Jimmy Houston or Kevin Van Dam cast and work various lures using conventional gear. Their techniques are unbelievable.
AKA Rod

Post by AKA Rod »

I never tryed a baitcaster till today,and it's going to be a long time before I try it again.I think I am going to have a nightmare about it tonight. :D
I am too old to die young.
catchusum

Post by catchusum »

Dustin wrote:You guys who poke fun at bass fishermen don't have much appreciation for true fishing skill ;). Just about any good bass fisherman can make the typical saltwater guy look like a total clown from a casting and technique standpoint. Spend some time watching Jimmy Houston or Kevin Van Dam cast and work various lures using conventional gear. Their techniques are unbelievable.
I agree. I use a baitcaster 80 percent of the time and throw spinning tackle to skip under docks, or with light baits and live bait. I prefer the baitcaster
7/0/0
Dirty Dave

Post by Dirty Dave »

Dustin wrote:You guys who poke fun at bass fishermen don't have much appreciation for true fishing skill ;). Just about any good bass fisherman can make the typical saltwater guy look like a total clown from a casting and technique standpoint. Spend some time watching Jimmy Houston or Kevin Van Dam cast and work various lures using conventional gear. Their techniques are unbelievable.
Ditto. I perfer baitcasters. Dustin pretty much summed it up. The edjumicated thumb may take a lifetime to get. I am now at the point where the mag brake is set to almost zero or the "weights" are taken off the spool.

Many year of !@#$%^^*&&**(&%) to get here though. :roll:
jared_simonetti

Post by jared_simonetti »

i use both baitcaster and spinning reel but love baitcaster since i was 8 yrs old and i am 16 now and i use both about equal amount alot of guys in texas and lousiana use them for saltwater fish and dont even carry a spinning rod in the boat .
prowler 13 lime
Redfisher

Post by Redfisher »

I grew up useing baitsasters but when I switched to saltwater I pretty much switched to spinning reels too. I guess it's because that's what I saw everybody using with "live bait." I still like to use a baitcaster to "walk the dog" with mirrolures or sling a gold spoon a mile.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club
Redfisher

Post by Redfisher »

jared_simonetti wrote:alot of guys in texas and lousiana use them for saltwater fish and dont even carry a spinning rod in the boat .
yea, I don't tell anyone at home that I use spinning reels now.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club
tbray

really

Post by tbray »

its all about preference and what you are used to...i have seen people cast with spinning rigs in places that i wouldnt dare even imagine...and i have seen people with bait casting rigs that skip lures without the slightest backlash! So if you are a bad assssss you are a bad asssss......

Kinda like giving eric clapton or jimi hendrix a POS yamaha guitar that cost $100. I betcha it sounds freakin awesome........
I make plaid look....well....like plaid
Mako

Post by Mako »

I use my baitcasters probably 90% of the time. I also throw topwaters most of the time, and I feel more confortable doing so with a baitcaster.

I started using spinning reels only about 6 months ago, and I only use them for lighter lures.
Peter
Wilderness Systems Tarpon 160
jared_simonetti

Re: really

Post by jared_simonetti »

tbray wrote:its all about preference and what you are used to...i have seen people cast with spinning rigs in places that i wouldnt dare even imagine...and i have seen people with bait casting rigs that skip lures without the slightest backlash! So if you are a bad assssss you are a bad asssss......

Kinda like giving eric clapton or jimi hendrix a POS yamaha guitar that cost $100. I betcha it sounds freakin awesome........
yeah the new shimano baitcaster has a computer chip in it and you cant even get a backlash with it but you pay for it the Shimano CALCUTTA TE DC

http://fish.shimano.com/catalog/fish/pr ... 8111490528
prowler 13 lime
Dirty Dave

Post by Dirty Dave »

Nice. Had a chance to cast one. The money to get one prices most of us out of the market though. If you have the scratch, then this will be an awsome reel for you.
BBabcock

Post by BBabcock »

yeah the new shimano baitcaster has a computer chip in it and you cant even get a backlash with it but you pay for it the Shimano CALCUTTA TE DC
Not all true- I have had one for about one year and you can still back lash it. It is difficult to describe the feel. Anyone who throws a baitcaster should save up the cash or sell every other rig they have to buy one. Yes- My avatar is a bass.
-Brian
Skeeter

Post by Skeeter »

Wow fishing reels with computer chips, tooo much.
I use bait casting when I am using shorter cast that require dropping the bait into small holes and pockets. After getting the thumb thing down you can stop the bait directly over the target and let it gently drop from three feet high, instead of a hitting the water like a missile tossed from 30 yards away.
When fishing the kayak and open water, I use only spin tackle for longer cast, especially into the wind. I still try to back the lure down before hitting the water by touching my finger to the tip of the spool.
The spinning cast is more of a wrist snap rather than a full back swing, which makes it much easier to fish with spare rods standing up behind you.
Fishin Worms and Investment Advice Inc.
LivelyBaits

Post by LivelyBaits »

Tough question to answer.

I use mostly spinning gear but I have about four baitcasting outfits that I use as well. I think a well practiced angler can use spinning rods with remarkable accuracy. But I also can tell you that if I was going to rate my ability to drop lure in an exact location Spinning vs Baitcaster I'd bet I would be a little more accurate with the baitcaster.
pee-dash-eff, "Desperate. H.W"
FrankC

Post by FrankC »

This is an interesting thread. A similar one some time back pretty well championed the spinning reels, but more folks appear to be using casting reels in this particular thread. This is good, as there are advantages and disadvantages of each system.

I use mostly casting gear as it is more controlable. In wide open water, the spinning gear will handle very light baits which is useful. If you need pinpoint casts, then the casting reel wins hands down.

Many people try casting reels and give up because of professional over runs too soon. If you stay with them for a time, you get the feel and birdsnests tend to become rare.

After buying some spinning gear for my wife and myself, she refuses to use it. It is more awkward feeling than casting gear to many people. I also think working lures is easier with a casting reel.