Spoons - Would you pay more?

How much more would you pay for a spoon that doesn't rust?

not a penny more
14%
$1.00 more
20%
$2.00 more
36%
$3.00 more
14%
$4.00 more
16%

Total votes: 56

saltwater_cowboy
Supporter 2007 - 2013

Post by saltwater_cowboy »

I voted $3.....6 bucks is about my limit for any kind of lure purchase whether a bag of soft plastics, a topwater, jig, or spoon. If I ever spend over $6 on a lure rest assured I've waited until everyone and their brother recommends it.
Mark

Here fishy, fishy, fishy......

Post by Guest »

i like the Big Fish Huddlespoon by Capt. Jim Huddleston
MarkM
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by MarkM »

I don't know how long they're supposed to last because I hardly ever use them. I will say, though, that even when they're hardly used, they seem to corrode just sitting in the tackle box. So, when I finally go to get one out, and it's all corroded, I just blame myself for never checking on them more often. To me, they're plenty cheap enough to go buy a new one every year or two as I go through them.
TroutTracker

Post by TroutTracker »

If they don't rust out, yeah, I'd pay up to $6 for one, why not I buy Mirrolures and they cost anywhere from $5-$8, but they last a long time.
Yeller Scupper Pro

John
Norm
Supporter 2007 - 2014
Supporter 2007 - 2014

http://cybermessageboard.ehost.com/paddlef/viewtopic.php?t=1

Post by Norm »

:oops: I read this before I had my coffee..I thought it asked how much would I pay for a spoon...not how much MORE would I pay. I know the Johnson silver minnow is going for about 3.50 at Wally World, and it is aggravating to see it tarnish like it does...especially when I take the time to rinse them off thouroughly when I get back home.
That being said, I think what Dunfly brought up about the hook not rusting out if you used stainless is certainly worth considering as well. I would say if you could develope a spoon that doesn't tarnish so quickly would be worth a dollar more. Since I do rinse my lures off like I do, I dont think the stainless hooks would be necessary. I dont expect a lure to last forever, but the finish on a spoon is essential to it's fishability...so finish is far more important than a hook that doesnt rust.
Obama just traded 5 Mercedes for a Slinky ....Greg Gutfeld
mikeB
Supporter 2007 - 2014
Supporter 2007 - 2014

Post by mikeB »

Two bucks more would be about it. Like plugs, the hooks usually go first.
catfish

Post by catfish »

A little clear nail polish goes a long way to preserving them. I always figured if they are getting rusty, you're not fishing enough. Mine have turned to oxide dust.
Mike Smith

Just an old red canoe.
Sightcaster

Post by Sightcaster »

I would pay $1 to $2 more. From reading the posts about the number of spoons that we may go thru - a number of us may be spending a lot of extra dollars :shock:
Phnd

Post by Phnd »

Six dollars for a spoon is way over the top and I for one wouldn't pay it. I think price as a poll question is like putting the carriage before the horse. Better questions would have to do with design such as shape or action in the water. Spoons are go-to baits for very few people. If you came up with the right design, proved to the right people that its a fish killer and should be a go-to, then maybe you can talk about the high dollars.
Phil
BayAreaReelService.com
paddlefish

Post by paddlefish »

I would pay a couple bucks extra for a spoon that won't rust. Make it easy to replace the hook, and you don't need to use stainless hooks.
Thank you, gentlemen. Someday I will repay you, unless of course I can't find you, or if I forget.