Trout and Ladyfish

What say you about Trout and Ladyfish?

They both suck - I'd rather not deal with them.
2%
They're both ok on slow days, as long as they're decent size.
47%
Any size trout but no ladyfish.
28%
I'll take what I can get.
23%

Total votes: 43

Erick
"Mister OLC"
"Mister OLC"

Post by Erick »

It is hard to compare catching fresh water trout in the mountains to catching ladyfish and seatrout. I am fortunate now that I have moved because I have always said I would give up fishing for reds to be able to fly fish in the mountains for trout. Moving to NC, I dont have to give up reds, they are just further away, but I do now get to add fly fishing for trout. I have only done it a couple of dozen times in my life, but it is as rewarding of a fishing experience as I have ever had in my lifetime. Nothing compares to it. It is actually thrilling, yep catching a 6" brown or rainbow is thrilling, especially on a little 4 wt, on a fly you tied after seeing the fish rise, making a perfect cast to get that fly to come across in a lifelike manner to cause that fish to rise again and take your fly from the surface. Gives me chills typing about it. After the Jax tourney, I will be going after those tiny fish once again.....I cant wait.
Don't give up. Don't ever give up.
Jim Valvano

{{>=====<}} <'))))><ing

Post by Guest »

Trout are awesome when I go look for the 20"+ inchers in the winter
Rooster

Post by Rooster »

I dont mind catching either one, ladyfish are fun, because they jump like crazy and always put on a fairly solid fight, especially for the size. Trout are different, some days they will fight like crazy, pulling drag and really good headshakes atop the water, but other days they are kind of sluggish and come to the boat without too much of a battle, but they always are biting, some days slower than others, but I always at least catch one or two when I target them. Not to mention trout are very tasty, I bring one home every so often :wink:.
"I tell you now we won't give in
Without a vicious fight, We've been battered and left for dead, We've been beaten and we have bled-Versus the world" ~Amon Amarth
Chief1600

Post by Chief1600 »

Erick wrote:It is hard to compare catching fresh water trout in the mountains to catching ladyfish and seatrout. I am fortunate now that I have moved because I have always said I would give up fishing for reds to be able to fly fish in the mountains for trout. Moving to NC, I dont have to give up reds, they are just further away, but I do now get to add fly fishing for trout. I have only done it a couple of dozen times in my life, but it is as rewarding of a fishing experience as I have ever had in my lifetime. Nothing compares to it. It is actually thrilling, yep catching a 6" brown or rainbow is thrilling, especially on a little 4 wt, on a fly you tied after seeing the fish rise, making a perfect cast to get that fly to come across in a lifelike manner to cause that fish to rise again and take your fly from the surface. Gives me chills typing about it. After the Jax tourney, I will be going after those tiny fish once again.....I cant wait.

What he said, my recent trip to Tennessee was exactly that. A lttle rainbow that I could watch rise and take a fly that I tied, what a rush! Thats why I'm going back in 6 weeks.
Jim - snooty elitist

"Of all pursuits mankind has devised to make you look stupid and uncoordinated, fly fishing is unquestionably number one." Jack Ohman, Fear of Fly Fishing
Blindmullet

Post by Blindmullet »

Try catching a lady on a jig head with the barb crimped down. Getting them to your hand can be a challenge. Those guys can throw a hook or two. Poor mans Tarpon over dink trout any day. 8)
Team Pro Bass "Fishing Legendz"
Rooster

Post by Rooster »

Blindmullet wrote:Try catching a lady on a jig head with the barb crimped down. Getting them to your hand can be a challenge. Those guys can throw a hook or two. Poor mans Tarpon over dink trout any day. 8)
+1, I do find when trout are doing there topwater headshakes they throw a hook or or two too, but on days when they arent as feisty, they kind of get boreing.
"I tell you now we won't give in
Without a vicious fight, We've been battered and left for dead, We've been beaten and we have bled-Versus the world" ~Amon Amarth
LivelyBaits

Post by LivelyBaits »

"Yea" on trout

"Nay" on ladyfish

With one exception: Taking someone who has never been fishing before or kids out, then ladyfish and jacks are welcome. Otherwise to me, I'd rather not be catching them while trying to catch snook, reds or trout.

Large trout are definitely fun to catch. I think it takes substantially more finesse to catch a trout than it does a ladyfish which makes it more gratifying.
pee-dash-eff, "Desperate. H.W"
Paul
PFTS SPONSOR
PFTS SPONSOR

Post by Paul »

I consider trout to be part of the BIG THREE for flats fishing.

Trout are tasty fried and the trout over 18", to me are consider Big to Good size

Ladyfish can be entertaining when the action is slow.....same goes for Jacks

and for the wife or girlfriends and kids ladyfish are great

I never consider catching a Sailcat, Catfish or Ray a good thing

Hell if you hook a big oyster it will bend over your pole too, but no thanks

What about whiting and silver trout>>>>>>>>Neil :P
Paul Silvernail
"Pimpin' ain't easy....but it's neccessary"
uncdub13

Post by uncdub13 »

I think a lot of you guys would appreciate trout more if you came up here to NC and fished for a while.