30"
Rob

Heritage Redfish 12'

Heritage Redfish 14'
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Re: What's a Gator?

Post by DaveR »

OK then. It's official. I have never caught a gator trout. How many of you have caught a trout of 30" or above on the west coast of Florida?
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
justabucup

Post by justabucup »

DaveR wrote:OK then. It's official. I have never caught a gator trout. How many of you have caught a trout of 30" or above on the west coast of Florida?
3 that I am absolutley positive of largest was 36 inches.
Credo quia absurdum
kneedeep

Post by kneedeep »

Only on the East Coast for me. Banana River to be exact. Came real close up in the Big Bend area with 28's and 29's. I usually catch the larger Trout when chasing schools of over slot Reds! :thumbright:
<SDFT><{
"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Mark R

Post by Mark R »

justabucup wrote:
DaveR wrote:OK then. It's official. I have never caught a gator trout. How many of you have caught a trout of 30" or above on the west coast of Florida?
3 that I am absolutley positive of largest was 36 inches.
buc, are you still using that ruler you use with your girlfriend?
"Likes smokey old pool rooms N clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

I've know Buc about ten years now. He must have caught some damn big fish in the 80s and 90s. :clown:
Although I can say, the first time we met he outfished everyone with this silly thing called a DOA shrimp.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
Paul
PFTS SPONSOR
PFTS SPONSOR

Post by Paul »

Rik wrote:
DaveR wrote:here in the greater Tampa bay area.
I think the important part of that question is the part above. 30" in Tampa Bay is a Monster Gator Troutzilla. How many have ever caught or even seen a picture of a Tampa Bay 30" or more trout?

Now, on the east coast, 30" is ho hum, nice fish, how many of them did you catch?

In Tampa Bay west coast I caught trout in the 25" to 27"

I've never even seen a 30" trout
Paul Silvernail
"Pimpin' ain't easy....but it's neccessary"
CooKnFish

Post by CooKnFish »

I haven't been able to break 28" on the west coast.
I got broke off by a trout on the east coast a couple of years ago during the DOA tournament. I was in shock!
Paddles - they aren't just for the bedroom anymore.

~Mark~
Vlap

Post by Vlap »

DaveR wrote:I've know Buc about ten years now. He must have caught some damn big fish in the 80s and 90s. :clown:
Although I can say, the first time we met he outfished everyone with this silly thing called a DOA shrimp.
Buc used a doa shrimp?
"It's always an adventure! " Cooknfish.
justabucup

Post by justabucup »

I was much more patient back then Jeff.
Credo quia absurdum
X-Capt Bill

Post by X-Capt Bill »

Tampa Bay area: I believe you've got a Gator over 26".

East Coast: Over 32"

I've been fishing Florida waters over 40 years. I have seen VERY few 30"+ trout on the west coast. I've caught a few, last one was in Tampa Bay about seven years ago.

30"+ trout on the east coast are more common. I have seen 15 pounders on several occasions. Biggest I have caught is 12 Lbs in the Indian River over 15 years ago.
XCB
seeinred

Post by seeinred »

I agree with X Capt Bill, at least as far as Tampa Bay is concerned, I believe anything over 26" is a gator. Since I've never fished anywhere for sea trout besides the west coast of Florida I cannot comment on that.

I doubt many people on this forum have caught a trout over 30" on this coast, and if they have, I'm sure it hasn't been many. I'll even bet that most people on here haven't caught one over 26" in a while, to me that is the most fair measurement for our coast.

With the way our trout fishery is improving though, maybe we'll get to see more fish in the 30" range being caught, wouldn't that be great! :D
For more kayak fishing reports, tips, and fishing charters please visit;
http://tampabaykayakcharters.com/

Spencer
IRISH

Post by IRISH »

jsuber wrote:30+

And here is your Gator. I got this pic off Todds visor.

now that is REALLY scary :shock: