Spincasters vs Baitcasters

Which do you prefer for throwing artificials?

Spinning Reels
75%
Baitcasters
25%

Total votes: 60

John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

Okay I have read this discussion many many times and I have a question as the same points are continually raised for and against each reel.

The educated thumb, you can stop a bait in the air and make it drop down is the one that most people put forward for the baitcaster being better than a spinning reel.
But you can do the same thing with a spinning reel, not with your thumb, but with your index finger, I've been doing it for years. It's an essential skill for fishing in the UK, casting very light tackle under overhangs or into holes.
Does nobody here od this with their spinning gear? I thought everyone did it? If they do, then why is a baitcaster better?
"If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree." - Michael Crichton
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

Good point John. I do that all the time with my spinning gear as well.

And I tire of hearing the bass fishing argument. Go to the Keys and the best inshore flats fisherman all use spining reels. Someone please explain that.

For me personally the downfall to a baitcaster is the constant threat of a birdsnest. I know guys who say that they never get them with the "edgeumatcated" thumb deal but they still get them no matter what.
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
Dustin

Post by Dustin »

John,
You're certainly correct in that stopping a lure and making it drop down subtely can be accomplished with either spinning or conventional gear. I think it's a little bit smoother process with conventional reels, but the difference is not significant. To me, the real advantages of conventional gear are in line control, hook setting power, effortless casting with little motion, and very good accuracy at any casting angle (forehand, underhand, backhand, backhand-underhand...I never cast overhand). Personally, a conventional rig feels like an extension of my arm. Everything is in total control whether casting, working various lures, or fighting fish.

Todd,
I think the Keys guides use spinning reels for bones primarily because they're throwing small pieces of shrimp, crab, or possibly very light skimmer jigs. Otherwise, I couldn't tell you, other than it takes much more practice and skill to become really adept with a conventional reel, especially in all conditions (wind). Alot of folks aren't willing to make that leap due to the frustration of dealing with overruns.
LHolman

Post by LHolman »

I always used baitcasters when I was bass fishing, but since I have moved to Florida and doing the saltwater thing I have been using spinning reels. The one thing that I have noticed personally for me is that when I used the bait casters I was using braided line like Spider Wire or Power Pro and I never had a problem with it getting wind knots. If a bird nest did happen, which was not that often, I was able to just pull the line straight out, it never really knotted.

Now with the spinnig reels using the braided lines, I always get wind knots, no matter how I cast the reel, which is the reason I went back to mono for these reels.

I am thinking about going back to the bait casters, at least for the top water lures and use the spinning for the jerkbait type lures. But with whatever type of reel that you use, you just have to get use to using it.

Larry
rev

Post by rev »

Line capacity is relevant, too. A twenty pound permit on my little Curado with its 150 yard-ish capacity (even with braid) would make me nervous. You probably won't get spooled but it could happen. On the other hand, it's no big deal for a 4000-series spinning reel to hold 300 yards of braid which will always be enough for anything you find on the flats.
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

Okay Dustin that makes more sense to me, but I also think I can return your argument against you. :wink:

Maybe if you spent the time needed to become proficient with spinning gear, it too would feel like an extension of your arm, I know my gear does. I cast underhand , backhand etc with spinning gear, and when playing a fish or workinga lure I never feel like I'm missing out.

As for not wanting to put up with the frustration of learning baitcasting I'm guilty of that, but because I have never yet been fishing with a guy who out fished me because he was using conventional tackle (and conventioinal tackle in the UK is spinning gear by the way). It would make me think again, if someone could show me that they can catch more fish than I can, because they use baitcasting gear. Its never happened yet, I've been outfished many times, but not because of different casting tackle.

I'm not trying to be inflammatory either, I just think that each to their own, but don't decry one over the other jut because its not what you use.
"If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree." - Michael Crichton
basebplyr1

Post by basebplyr1 »

I am proficient with both spinning reels and baitcasters. My acurracy is about the same with both (I use the index finger method of stopping lures using spinning reels, like John mentioned), but I get more distance using my spinning outfits. Plus, I can cast into the wind and use lighter jig heads with my spinning rigs, not to mention skip cast the grooves easier. I really like throwing spoons and non topwater plugs with my baitcasters and jigs, light plugs like the pins minnows, topwaters and livebait (the 1% of my fishing time I use it) with spinning rigs.
Seth
>~~~}}}<>

"You a disgrace to da man race"
Skeeter

Post by Skeeter »

Skeeter wrote: When fishing the kayak and open water, I use only spin tackle for longer cast, especially into the wind. I still try to back the lure down before hitting the water by touching my finger to the tip of the spool.
John, I thought everybody did that too :wink:
Fishin Worms and Investment Advice Inc.
FrankC

Post by FrankC »

Look at the trajectory of lures cast from a casting reel and a spinning reel and you will see a difference. That is one reason wind knots are more common and line twist is such a factor with spinning tackle. There are simple physics involved which are the main difference in the functioning of the two systems. Whereas the line is fed in a fairly straight forward fashion from the spool of a casting reel to the rod guides, the spinning reel tends to feed loops of line to the guides. Watching someone cast from a distance, you can see the difference between the two systems as the arc the line makes is fairly evident.

Spinning gear is much easier to learn than casting gear. For instance, we started our children out with spinning gear and then when they were proficient, we introduced them to casting tackle.

The arguments referring to bass fishermen as being somehow inferior to salt water fishermen is a little arrogant. Someone who spends time casting in open water would be very tested to try to throw lures in tight places common to bass fishing around vegetation. You often find casts necessary through small openings in vegetation which does not allow anything short of straight line casting.

In the south, casting gear was the norm until folks started using those "French" reels in the 50's. Mitchell reels were the rage for a time, but the river fishermen found out soon enough that you would catch more squirrels than fish with the spinning gear. Yes, I started out with knuckle buster reels loaded with braided line which was a "reel" picnic, so you could date me if you wish.

Both systems work. If you use the one you are accustomed to, you will do well. You really owe it to yourself to learn to use both in order to take advantage of which one is most suited to what your immediate demands are.

When the lure is in the water, how you manipulate it and how many fish you catch has nothing to do with the tackle you used to place it in the water. If you say that so-and-so who uses a spinning reel catches more fish than joe blow with a casting outfit, the argument is not valid as pertains to the type of reel he uses. It has to do with lure selection and action imparted to the lure only, not what reel placed the lure in the water.

Heavier lures, use casting tackle; lighter lures, use spinning gear; still lighter lures, use a fly rod. They all catch fish if you can master them.
Norm
Supporter 2007 - 2014
Supporter 2007 - 2014

http://cybermessageboard.ehost.com/paddlef/viewtopic.php?t=1

Post by Norm »

There is a place for both...I use both and like them for different applications. When I am standing and wading..a Baitcaster is my weapon of choice. I recently purchased a new Daiwa Coastal and love it. When it is adjusted to the weight of your lure...I can actually cast it without my thumb...even into the wind. I have so far only had one very minor tangle. I do feel like I can cast more acurately with my baitcaster...but I am getting better with the spnnners just out of more use. Because I do spend more time casting while sitting in my yak... I do use my spinners the most though. My biggest problem with accuracy has nothing to do with which reel I use...it has more to do with my own depth perception.. :roll:

Norm
Obama just traded 5 Mercedes for a Slinky ....Greg Gutfeld
Dustin

Post by Dustin »

Very well said Frank...pretty much sums it up :D.
FrankC

Post by FrankC »

Paddled for my Father many times over the years so he could use his fly rod. I always enjoyed it as someone using a fly rod properly is a beautiful sight. Now if I only had the nerve to try myself, but the darn flies generally end up stuck to me instead of where I want them to go :D

Oh well, a fly attached to a plastic bubble or plug works for folks like myself with ten thumbs (and not nearly enough nerve to brave flying things with hooks on them).

Whatever tackle suites you, use it and enjoy the experience of being out on the water. You can buy fish but there is no way to enjoy the out doors but to be there.
Chief1600

Post by Chief1600 »

Agree with FrankC on the flyrod, poetry in motion, elegance exemplified, especially when used by someone who has taken the time to practice. As far as spin or baitcasting I primarily use spinning gear because thats what I grew up with and am comfortable with, but only when I have to, stick with the fly rod 90% of the time.
Jim - snooty elitist

"Of all pursuits mankind has devised to make you look stupid and uncoordinated, fly fishing is unquestionably number one." Jack Ohman, Fear of Fly Fishing
Heywood

Post by Heywood »

Someone who spends time casting in open water would be very tested to try to throw lures in tight places common to bass fishing around vegetation. You often find casts necessary through small openings in vegetation which does not allow anything short of straight line casting.
Ever tried throwing lures up under mangroves :?:

To each his own.
"Anytime I shag a buddies wife I always cut the lawn when I'm done " ~ The Leg End ~

Post by 0119 »

I cant stand using spinning gear. Too heavy. Always the threat of line twist, and that can never be rectified. Better if you use braid, and I see nothing but disadvantages to using braid. But Im glad the majority of folks use spinning, cause then I can stay snobby and always say only newbies and not so serious folks use spinning !
DayFisher

Post by DayFisher »

spinning = concentration on the fish
conventional = concentration on your thumb.
My thumbs not that interesting.
I don't care what you use, just don't be an a##hole. I'll fish with you.
KH
Hauling Dead Dinosaurs for Your Vehicles Consumptive Delight to a Gas Station near You!!
DayFisher