Cheap Steak Out Pole

Have rigging questions or a good idea? Found a good fishing product? Tell us about it.
seeinred

Post by seeinred »

Kayaker Guy wrote:
Heywood wrote:Here's what you need: Everything can be found at Home Depot.

Read, printed and now ready for the next trip to Home Depot! Thanks a bunch. About how long do folks make those poles? 4-5 feet sounds about right?

Mine was 5ft, but now I have a Wang Anchor that is 8ft and LOVE it. I can easily pole with it and stake out in deeper water.
For more kayak fishing reports, tips, and fishing charters please visit;
http://tampabaykayakcharters.com/

Spencer
Heywood

Post by Heywood »

Kayaker Guy wrote:

Read, printed and now ready for the next trip to Home Depot! Thanks a bunch. About how long do folks make those poles? 4-5 feet sounds about right?
Cut the threaded end off of the broom handle, then make it that long. Not sure what that length is, buts long enough.

You dont want to use your stakeout pole in really deep water anyway. Its very easy to dump your kayak if your in any strong current and you were to use a very long stakeout pole. In that situation its best to use an anchor.

I have a way to use my stakeout pole like a poor mans Power Pole. I'll post pictures later. Its a quick and quite way to stop vs a anchor.
"Anytime I shag a buddies wife I always cut the lawn when I'm done " ~ The Leg End ~
Kayaker Guy

Post by Kayaker Guy »

Thanks for the additional info on the stake out pole. I hope to run by Home Depot today or tomorrow.

I already have an anchor, actually two. I have a 1.5 kg folding one that came with the T120 that's not been used yet, and a heavier mushroom type I've used a lot in my other kayaks rainbow fishing in Arkansas. Not sure which I'll take to Florida next month, but probably the folding one as it weighs less.
Retired USNR and FedEx
Former Sub Hunter P3 TACCO
Tarpon 120, Old Town Voyager
Crossroads Cruiser 30SK fifthwheel
Yamaha Venture, Suzuki V-Strom
Heywood

Post by Heywood »

Kayaker Guy wrote: but probably the folding one as it weighs less.
That would be a wise chioce :wink:
"Anytime I shag a buddies wife I always cut the lawn when I'm done " ~ The Leg End ~
Kayaker Guy

Post by Kayaker Guy »

.....wooden broom handles with the metal threaded ends.
Next, go to the pvc section....... Find one that fits easily.
Now go get a "T" and some end caps.......

Hey Heywood, I got most of the stuff today, but had a heck of a time finding a broom handle that would fit the PVC properly. Finally ended up with PVC that's maybe 1/8th inside diameter wider than my broom handle. Figure I can use a little Gorilla Glue in there to fill it in.

Questions:
- Is the metal screw end on the broom used as the "point" of the PVC/Broom handle "marriage"? You mention cutting the PVC at a 45° angle but then why the metal end?
- I ended up with thicker weight PVC, the dark gray stuff. So my rig will probably be a little bigger than yours. Ought to be stronger also. Any thought of NOT using the entire broom handle, but maybe leave a gap of 12-24" or so......the rig would be lighter, and probably float. As it is right now, I can't imagine this unit floating! :?

Oh, anyone know if Gorilla Glue will work with PVC in place of the "weld" usually used. I'd just as soon not get that weld stuff for just this job.....
Retired USNR and FedEx
Heywood

Post by Heywood »

Kayaker Guy wrote:

.....wooden broom handles with the metal threaded ends.
Next, go to the pvc section....... Find one that fits easily.
Now go get a "T" and some end caps.......

Hey Heywood, I got most of the stuff today, but had a heck of a time finding a broom handle that would fit the PVC properly. Finally ended up with PVC that's maybe 1/8th inside diameter wider than my broom handle. Figure I can use a little Gorilla Glue in there to fill it in.

Questions:
- Is the metal screw end on the broom used as the "point" of the PVC/Broom handle "marriage"? You mention cutting the PVC at a 45° angle but then why the metal end?
- I ended up with thicker weight PVC, the dark gray stuff. So my rig will probably be a little bigger than yours. Ought to be stronger also. Any thought of NOT using the entire broom handle, but maybe leave a gap of 12-24" or so......the rig would be lighter, and probably float. As it is right now, I can't imagine this unit floating! :?

Oh, anyone know if Gorilla Glue will work with PVC in place of the "weld" usually used. I'd just as soon not get that weld stuff for just this job.....
Sometimes its hard to find the right broom handle that fits that stile of pvc just right.

CUT THE METAL END OFF. Once you have the handle up inside the pvc, cut the bottom at a 45 degree angle.

You have to use the broom handle to stiffin up the pvc, if not it will just bend on you and you'll never get down in any hard surface.

If I get a chance this weekend, I will post pictures and better detailed example on how to make one like mine.
Kayaker Guy

Post by Kayaker Guy »

".....If I get a chance this weekend, I will post pictures and better detailed example on how to make one like mine...."

Thanks. I think I understand how to do the rest. I was just not sure about the metal tipped broom handle.
Retired USNR and FedEx
Heywood

Post by Heywood »

I figured you might need some pictures to help you, after all, you are retired Navy :lol: j/k

USAF Retired
80-00
Blue Eagle
Rivet Joint
Kayaker Guy

Post by Kayaker Guy »

"....I figured you might need some pictures to help you, after all, you are retired Navy ...."

Ha ha, now let's NOT go there..................... :roll: :lol:

Oh, just one......You know what the Air Force calls a 4000 foot runway? A short field. Know what the Navy calls it? A HIGHWAY!! :lol:
Retired USNR and FedEx
nikonjedi

Post by nikonjedi »

I cut an angle on a peice of sch 40 PVC dropped a hole in the top for some para cord and away I went.... Didn't even use the anchor just the pole it worked so good! After the first stick it got plugged up with pluff mud and stuff and was a little weighted and worked like a charm! Mine is about 5 feet but I think I need to go to abouit 7 feet for ALL the creeks I get into but for tomorrow the 5 footer will do just fine. They can keep the high dollar cajun anchors! Good call Kyakerguy!! Although my Dad is retired Navy I'll ahve to stick with Heywood on this one though :wink:

USAF Active duty
"Paddle Faster boys... I hear banjo music..."
Tarpon 160os
SC Chapter Coordinator- Heroes on the Water
www.heroesonthewater.org
Kayaker Guy

Post by Kayaker Guy »

I make mine following Heywood's directions pretty much. I am using a wooden broom handle inside mine, so it's very strong, but it's heavy also and I doubt it will float. I put a short T-handle on mine, but skipped the bolt for the camera. Mine is about 6 feet I think. It's probably strong enough to fight off a 15 ft Great White. :lol:

I used up a can of florescent yellow spray paint on it, but I'm not so sure I won't cover it up with another color. The yellow is what I had, so I used it. However, it might scare the heck our of the aquatic life where I hope to fish, so maybe that color has to go.
Retired USNR and FedEx
Chief1600

Post by Chief1600 »

I painted mine flourescent orange, after a year and a half of sun, saltwater and scraping in and out of a scupper hole, it's mostly white again
Jim - snooty elitist

"Of all pursuits mankind has devised to make you look stupid and uncoordinated, fly fishing is unquestionably number one." Jack Ohman, Fear of Fly Fishing
Kayaker Guy

Post by Kayaker Guy »

Chief1600 wrote:I painted mine flourescent orange, after a year and a half of sun, saltwater and scraping in and out of a scupper hole, it's mostly white again
Yeah, I don't think my paint will last that long. I sprayed it just to hide the tacky dark gray PVC, picking up the first can of paint I could find. But I don't think the paint has dried very well since it's been in the 40s and 50s. So I will probably end up re-painting it when I'm down in Florida next month.
Retired USNR and FedEx
Chief1600

Post by Chief1600 »

I'd think if you really wanted to paint it and have it stick, a decent primer would make all the difference. For mine I lightly ran some 220 sandpaper over it before the orange, didn't seem to really help it though. Other than that, the pole works great.
Jim - snooty elitist

"Of all pursuits mankind has devised to make you look stupid and uncoordinated, fly fishing is unquestionably number one." Jack Ohman, Fear of Fly Fishing
Kayaker Guy

Post by Kayaker Guy »

Chief1600 wrote:I'd think if you really wanted to paint it and have it stick, a decent primer would make all the difference. For mine I lightly ran some 220 sandpaper over it before the orange, didn't seem to really help it though. Other than that, the pole works great.
I did use primer, but I think painting here when it's still quite cool won't let the primer or paint set properly. I'm not happy with how it looks either, the paint is kind of "blotchy" looking. I'll probably sand it down and do it again once its warmer. Right now I have time on my hands!
Retired USNR and FedEx
Chief1600

Post by Chief1600 »

Actually I can't complain about how mine looks. It's scroungy looking enough I don't have to worry about anybody else wanting it :lol: Sure isn't a problem picking it out of the pile we have at home, 5 all told.
Jim - snooty elitist