Which one do you take home for dinner?

Snook
50%
Redfish
50%

Total votes: 46

blindcast

Post by blindcast »

For a quick fix, I've taken a red to a local meat&seafood market and ask them to clean it for me, then throw them a tip if they don't charge me.
Phnd

Post by Phnd »

On rare occasions when I do keep fish I try to clean them before leaving the water. Its not something I look forward to after going home, cleaning up and putting everything away. I'd suggest with all fish to cut the throat, fillet it, skin it and cut off the dark meat on the back. It's where the strong taste comes from. Some species don't have it but the ones that do will taste much better with it removed.

Someone earlier mentioned they didn't care for Blue fish fried. I think if you skin it and cut off the dark meat you'll like it fried.
Phil
BayAreaReelService.com
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

blindcast wrote:For a quick fix, I've taken a red to a local meat&seafood market and ask them to clean it for me, then throw them a tip if they don't charge me.
I know we made up and everything but some how that's just wrong.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
Snowman

Post by Snowman »

In this situation I would try to go for a "Slam" with a nice fat spotted trout, introduce the Mr. Trout to Mr. Corn meal and Mr. Peanut oil and invite him home for dinner. You can still keep one over slot right?
Imo, I prefer snook to Redfish, but havn't kept either in years!
Yeah....I eat fish!!
Blindmullet

Re: cleaning fish

Post by Blindmullet »

tbray wrote:where do you all clean your fish when you keep em? Do you keep the knives and boards/coolers in your car and do mop up duty after you fish- or do you take it home and do it there?

Also- who bleeds their fish as opposed to just throwing them on ice?
I like to bring it home... I'll be the guy that throws the left overs back in the bay and Johny Law ask's for it... I can't have a fine in my situation!
Team Pro Bass "Fishing Legendz"
Snook712

Post by Snook712 »

I love both of them and take one home occasionally. My mom had the ultimate snook recipe when I was growing up in Clearwater.

Skin and filet the snook (the skin makes it taste like dishwashing soap)
Cut into two inch fingers
Finely crush waverly wafer crackers
Dip snook fingers in raw egg and coat with craker dust
Deep fry until lightly brown

Later in life, I added cold corona's to the menu and found perfection.

I never freeze fish but only keep what I plan on eating that day. I have little patience with folks who stock their freezers with their catch.