Cheap Steak Out Pole

Have rigging questions or a good idea? Found a good fishing product? Tell us about it.
mudfish

Post by mudfish »

Will a 30˚ angle work as well or better than 45˚? :?
-Cisco-

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

- Eleanor Roosevelt -
Kayaker Guy

Post by Kayaker Guy »

SRQGator wrote:Probably a dumb question but wouldn't a floating stake-out pole make it more difficult to keep underwater in the mud? Besides, if you keep it tethered why even bother?
Not a dumb question. A little bit of buoyancy wouldn't keep the pole from staying stuck in the bottom. However, a little bit of buoyancy would make the pool a lot easier to find when it drops overboard as you're paddling back to the launch site! I suppose if one were really careful with tethering the pole when stowed or deployed there would be no problem.

Keep in mind I have not actually USED my stake out pole yet, so take my thought with a grain or two (or more :D ) of salt! 8)
Retired USNR and FedEx
Former Sub Hunter P3 TACCO
Tarpon 120, Old Town Voyager
Crossroads Cruiser 30SK fifthwheel
Yamaha Venture, Suzuki V-Strom
JoseC

Post by JoseC »

i usually leave my stake out pole in one of the back scuppers held there with a bungee so that when i need to stop i just loosen the bungee and push it in. When i do this i notice that there is a lot of strain on the scupper, and i was wondering if eventually i could have some problems with my kayak getting a leak in it from a cracked scupper hole. Has anyone had any problems from your stake out pole cracking your scupper?
Jose C

Hobie Revolution
SRQGator
Grocery Yodeler

Post by SRQGator »

If you had a floating stake out pole and kept it tethered properly to your yak, would it create enough drag to double as a drift anchor too?
Chief1600

Post by Chief1600 »

p911gt2 wrote:i usually leave my stake out pole in one of the back scuppers held there with a bungee so that when i need to stop i just loosen the bungee and push it in. When i do this i notice that there is a lot of strain on the scupper, and i was wondering if eventually i could have some problems with my kayak getting a leak in it from a cracked scupper hole. Has anyone had any problems from your stake out pole cracking your scupper?
I've not had the problem but I'm usually real careful about getting pretty much stopped before sticking the pole down. Have heard of cracked scuppers.
Jim - snooty elitist

"Of all pursuits mankind has devised to make you look stupid and uncoordinated, fly fishing is unquestionably number one." Jack Ohman, Fear of Fly Fishing
Kayaker Guy

Post by Kayaker Guy »

SRQGator wrote:If you had a floating stake out pole and kept it tethered properly to your long-haired bovine, would it create enough drag to double as a drift anchor too?
Hey, what an idea! 8)
Retired USNR and FedEx
mudfish

Post by mudfish »

Kayaker Guy wrote:
SRQGator wrote:If you had a floating stake out pole and kept it tethered properly to your long-haired bovine, would it create enough drag to double as a drift anchor too?
Hey, what an idea! 8)
You can rig a leader to it and troll for shark too. :idea:
-Cisco-

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

- Eleanor Roosevelt -
Kayaker Guy

Post by Kayaker Guy »

You can rig a leader to it and troll for shark too. :idea:
Hello - great idea there also! :lol:
Retired USNR and FedEx
nikonjedi

Post by nikonjedi »

I am leaning towards the 30 degree angle... and of course how could it be an adventure unless you stick your stakeout pole down and realize a few minutes later that you have drifted off form your spot because you didn't attach your stake out pole to tke 0yak0 (haha) and have to retrive it... Of course I was playing with the idea of a stake out cooler... larger diameter top that will hold a cold beverage of choice... :shock:
"Paddle Faster boys... I hear banjo music..."
Tarpon 160os
SC Chapter Coordinator- Heroes on the Water
www.heroesonthewater.org
nikonjedi

Post by nikonjedi »

I took my modified stake out yesterday and it worked great... the one I had was only about 5 feet long and the tip got cracked tryig to get pluff mud out of it so I used a smaller peice of PVC and shoved it into the end, dropped a couple of scres in to it to keep the crack form getting bigger and used soem rubber tale around it. To keep the mud out of the tip I stuffed an old cork into it, yes my Mom will finally be happy I shoved a cork in it! :wink: and it workerd awesome! It's now 7 1/2 feet and worked like a charm... so far the total cost has been $0... I found everything in my garage :wink:
Tarpon 160os
www.heroesonthewater.org
Kayaker Guy

Post by Kayaker Guy »

nikonjedi wrote:I took my modified stake out yesterday and it worked great... the one I had was only about 5 feet long and the tip got cracked tryig to get pluff mud out of it so I used a smaller peice of PVC and shoved it into the end, dropped a couple of scres in to it to keep the crack form getting bigger and used soem rubber tale around it. To keep the mud out of the tip I stuffed an old cork into it, yes my Mom will finally be happy I shoved a cork in it! :wink: and it workerd awesome! It's now 7 1/2 feet and worked like a charm... so far the total cost has been $0... I found everything in my garage :wink:
Your garage sounds like my garage......there's enough junk in there to build 3 or 4 villages in a third world country! :lol:
Retired USNR and FedEx
nikonjedi

Post by nikonjedi »

Pretty close... For some reason I have an abundance of cardboard that will make it's way to the recycle center this week and there is a bunch of chairs I didn't know we owned stacked up in the corner... looks like it's time for spring cleaning :wink:
Tarpon 160os
www.heroesonthewater.org
fishinguy

Post by fishinguy »

I made mine based off the ideas that were in this thread however instead of cutting a tip I slid an "Aligning Punch" in the end. This makes the end weighted so it floats upright and also helps when using on a hard bottom. The punch is about 3/4 in diameter, about 10 inches long and in the last 3 inches it tapers to a 5/16 inch tip. Its available at home depot for $10.
JoseC

Post by JoseC »

fishinguy wrote:I made mine based off the ideas that were in this thread however instead of cutting a tip I slid an "Aligning Punch" in the end. This makes the end weighted so it floats upright and also helps when using on a hard bottom. The punch is about 3/4 in diameter, about 10 inches long and in the last 3 inches it tapers to a 5/16 inch tip. Its available at home depot for $10.
do you have any pics?
Jose C

Hobie Revolution
fishinguy

Post by fishinguy »

The punch is in the pvc up to about the "E" in the logo as it is sitting on my kayak. I tested it out today and was pleased so sometime in the near future I will throw some paint on it.
This is my first time posting pics so hopefully I get it right.
mikemo

Post by mikemo »

[quote="fishinguy"]The punch is in the pvc up to about the "E" in the logo as it is sitting on my kayak. I tested it out today and was pleased so sometime in the near future I will throw some paint on it.
This is my first time posting pics so hopefully I get it right.
quote]

Very cool idea, but that punch looks pretty heavy. Have you had any issues with weight at all?