Cheap Steak Out Pole

Have rigging questions or a good idea? Found a good fishing product? Tell us about it.
floridalawdog

Post by floridalawdog »

This is what I got from walmart. Work great, and cheap. 2 for 15 bucks.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product. ... ifications
Rik

Post by Rik »

Boy, this thread has gone a long way from "cheap stake out pole".

There always seems to be a lot of over thinking on this topic. It's pole you stick in the mud to hold you in place. You can spend from $2 for a DIY PVC pole to $100 for a fancy fiberglass model but, when it's all said and done, it's a pole that you stick in the mud to hold you in place.

I paid $15 for a fiberglass pool cue at the W store and thought I was overspending since it worked no better than the 4-5 $2 PVC poles I have in the garage.

However, I had good reason to spend the money. The pool cue has flames on it that match the flames on my paddle. We all know how important it is to look good!
scotty14

Post by scotty14 »

Rik--your right....it all comes down to looking good. Everything has to color coordinate. Something about my white stakeout pole with red letters on it that just throws off the vibe of a nicely rigged kayak. I will post a pic of my 19.99 version---when I figure out how to post pics :(
-Scotty-
-------------------------
<Heritage> Redfish 12 (Khaki)
yakaddict

My version of Stake out pole!!!

Post by yakaddict »

In the past I built a SOP with PVC with the help of the forum. I attached at the bottom a plastic tent stake, but it broke. This is my mew version !!! it also floats.!!!!

[/img]
Tom. <º(((><
Vessel: Red Hobie Outback.
scotty14

Post by scotty14 »

Here is my SO Pole. I bought a dock rope hook and made some modifications to the plastic part:
-Scotty-
ry

Post by ry »

scotty14 wrote:Here is my SO Pole. I bought a dock rope hook and made some modifications to the plastic part:
That is nice! where did you get the original pole?
scotty14

Post by scotty14 »

Bought the pole from Boater's World for 19.99. There was a rubber grip in the middle of it that I had to cut/tear/peel off. This way it can fir through my scupper.
-Scotty-
LivelyBaits

Post by LivelyBaits »

If you can find one, an antennae from a boat makes a great stake out. My friend had one with him the other night. Perfect diameter, great strength.

I don't know if you can find them at junkyards but that's a good option if you can find one.
pee-dash-eff, "Desperate. H.W"
H2ODawg

Post by H2ODawg »

I guess I'll jump in here and see if I help make 7 pages. I bought one of the affore mentioned Canoe Country stakeouts when I bought my T120. Had I given it any thought, I may have done something cheaper. Anyway, I have only tried to use mine once so far, going thru the scupper next to the center console. Had a heck of a time getting it to take hold as the bottom was hard as a brick!! While I have a leash to keep it attached to the bovine. I think I'll use the anchor trolley cord and stake from outside the boat from now on.
I fish, therefore I am.

MIKE
scotty14

Post by scotty14 »

The CCO poles looked good!
-Scotty-
mudfish

Post by mudfish »

They look real nice, but I thought the tips aren't pointed enough for more solid bottom. IMHO.
-Cisco-

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

- Eleanor Roosevelt -
H2ODawg

Post by H2ODawg »

That seemed to be the issue the only time I have tried to use mine. Went thru the crust but it was like I hit rock about 3 inched down and it didn't want to go any further. Honetsly, I didn't try to force the issue as it was the first time in the Kayak and was ready to go swimming. I'm sure as I get more comfortable with the setup, the easier the pole will be to set (hope so anyway). Does anyone else have one of these CCO poles? How do you like yours?
I fish, therefore I am.

MIKE
scotty14

Post by scotty14 »

scotty14 wrote:Here is my SO Pole. I bought a dock rope hook and made some modifications to the plastic part:

I have not used mine yet, but I think it will sink in well. The tip is very sharp to the point of being a weapon!
-Scotty-
mudfish

Post by mudfish »

That should do nicely, I would think.
Can we call you Spearchucker? :lol:
-Cisco-

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

- Eleanor Roosevelt -
H2ODawg

Post by H2ODawg »

What did you use to extend the tip with? Is it added on to what was already there or a complete replacement? Looks like you may have to be careful not to bump into that end. Might be painful, and you wouldn't want to start bleeding out there. May create another problem!!! Looks like it should sink in pretty good though!!
I fish, therefore I am.

MIKE
scotty14

Post by scotty14 »

H2ODawg wrote:What did you use to extend the tip with? Is it added on to what was already there or a complete replacement? Looks like you may have to be careful not to bump into that end. Might be painful, and you wouldn't want to start bleeding out there. May create another problem!!! Looks like it should sink in pretty good though!!
It was all there--didnt add anything. Just cut the side hook and grinded the tip to sharpen the point. The tip is made from hard plastic.
-Scotty-