rod guides....

bugg

rod guides....

Post by bugg »

I guess I have never paid much attention to it, but it seems that on spinning rods the guides.. start off pretty big at the bottom then get smaller as they proceed to the tip, but on casting rods the bottom guidesare significantly smaller at the bottom, and continue to get smaller as they progress also. The question I have is why...I am pretty sure there must be a good reason for it, probably...maybe..
Last edited by bugg on Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope."
Rev. Tom

Post by Rev. Tom »

Spinning rods have larger "eyes" (actually called guides) so there is not too much friction between the line and the guide. A spinning reel winds the line around the spool and needs the greater diameter to work better. Casting rods have smaller guides because the line only goes back and forth on the spool, it does not also go up and down (as on a spinning reel). Therefore smaller guides can be used without introducing more friction.

In general--larger guides (regardless of reel type) will have less friction. This means longer casts. Smaller guides do give more friction, but will help reduce looping in the line while the line goes through the guides (really only a problem while casting).
"My knowledge can only be finite, while my ignorance must, necessarily, be infinite."
--Karl Popper