MY RIG + QUESTIONS

Have rigging questions or a good idea? Found a good fishing product? Tell us about it.
prowler13angler

MY RIG + QUESTIONS

Post by prowler13angler »

Here a just a couple photo's of the basic kayak rigged for fishing + a couple of DIY items that i added.

The basic kayak ^ with three rod holders, some people add more, i can't afford the rod's :wink:

The crate - Most people have milk crates, since they ride easily in the tank-well of the kayak, and are very versatile, carrying all of your tackle, + Rod holders can be added without the hassle of drilling holes in your kayak.

- One thing that i just recently added to my milk crate is a wading belt that i purchased from walmart, for about 8$. The straps do not fit around the crate itself, but you can strap it through the handles of the crate, and works fine. Or strap it down various ways so the strap from the belt isn't in the middle of the crate. It has many pockets that i use for my sunscreen, pliers, hooks, and leader material.

One other thing is a zip-tied my rip-off pliers holders, to my scotty extension bar, for easy access.

The final, and probably one of the best things i have for my kayak, Is my measuring board. Its constructed from a piece of plastic fence. Its a cheap alternative from buying the 40+$ ones. You can stuff them with foam (My fencing was hollow) To enable them to float. I feel it is imperative to have one of these devices, for quick picture taking, and quick measuring without to much handling of the fish. Only problem is where to carry it?

Questions:

- Where do you guys carry your measuring boards??

- Does anyone know for sure if the larger front scupper hole in the prowler13 is constructed to hold a stakeout pole? That must mean its durable enough to have wear in that hole :? ?

Thank you guys,
Jon - P13A
Vercetti

Post by Vercetti »

P13A, when I bring my measuring board (usually only during tournaments) I strap it down with the front hatch straps - where you have your pfd. It works fine, you can access it when your in the yak or when you are wading, and it is out of the way whilst paddling.
- Jon
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Re: MY RIG + QUESTIONS

Post by Todd »

prowler13angler wrote:The final, and probably one of the best things i have for my kayak, Is my measuring board. Its constructed from a piece of plastic fence.
Can you explain that better? Sounds like a good idea.
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
mauso1
Supporter 2007 - 2013

Post by mauso1 »

P13. I slide my measuring board ,made from a 4ft piece of vinyl gutter cover, over my cooler
( over your milkcrate?) and under the bungees in the tankwell of my T140.
Out of the way for paddling but easy to get to just behind the seat.

Here's a pic of the board.

Folded the already creased edge of the vinyl on one side,
cut the other edge off to make it the right width and
made an angle stop on one end and glued it up with
contact cement..Very light weight maybe 1 1/2 lb.
Just needs bigger numbers on the tape. :roll:
Probably could be cut down to 36-42 inches as I more than likely won't catch a 4ft fish :wink:
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club
prowler13angler

Great idea,

Ive just had mine dwelling under my front hatch, and strapped to the side of the mild crate.

Nice board you have their too!
tbray

zip tie

Post by tbray »

I did the zip tying of the pliers thing to my scotty ext too after seeing your post and it works perfectly- great idea
prowler13angler

Sweet, Im here to help! ;)
fishnfinatic

Post by fishnfinatic »

I need to find me an measuring board. Something not to big so its compact in my yak.
Tight Lines
Shawn
canoefish

Post by canoefish »

Why not just place auto pin stripe tape or similar to the top side edge of the cockpit. in set increments or even slot size increments of target fish. Then there is no fumbling with boards and it's always next to you.
Rik

Post by Rik »

Silver tape wrapped around your fishing rod at specific lengths - 16", 18", 20", 27" and 34" - will keep you out of trouble with the FWC unless you want to know exact length of the fish
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
prowler13angler

The board is very nice to have, and can take very accurate photo's for tournaments.
LivelyBaits

Post by LivelyBaits »

That's a nice setup there my friend.

I had an idea :idea: when you were asking about storage of the measuring board. How about riveting on strips of velcro to the back of the measuring board and also on the lid of the storage hatch? If not there, you could almost think about doing the same thing along the rim of the kayak along the flat edge of the cockpit.

I may actually enlist the services of dirty dave to try this out, but I think it's feasible. With the velcro, you could attach, detach, reattach pretty easily-you'd just have to keep the measuring board within reach if you're not in a spot where you'd be getting out of the boat.

For me personally, I have taken a paint pen and marked out measuring sticks on the kayaks with zero starting immediately to my left on that flat area along the cockpit edge. That obviously wouldn't work for tournaments but it works very well for getting a length on a fish without even having to lift it out of the water.

Very professional looking yak, P13A.
MrSpectaculous

Post by MrSpectaculous »

Chris G (G is for Genius :idea: ) gave me an idea from a design he has. He has a fish cooler thats long and low (Like a coffin) he got from a grocery store the salmon come in. I'd like one in a slot fish size (like reds or trout) that could pull doble duty as a fish board and cooler. (Chris's is about 40" long) and a little deep for my taste (I'll be a 1-2 fish man if I ever keep any).

P13 I also got some light ideas to post pics of too so hold on to your money.
I think I can dance.
Bill
Ultimate 14.5
Purple Emotion GS
MrSpectaculous

Post by MrSpectaculous »

Alright P13 here we go.

This is a Dorcy brand light. It has a Lamp and spot light feature and will hang from the rod holder nicely and still allow you to use it for rods. It will also stand on it's own and can be hung mounted just about anywhere. It's smaller then an 8oz coke can.

Next up is and LED light that is meant to be worn on your head. I find they give me headaches and I hate hats so don't wear one at night. It has a red, white and spot light. With a clamp it will go right ion your rod holder and you can still use it for rods. I may eventually just screw it on.

This last one I got the idea from Lohlman. It will clamp right on to your crate. It don't light up the cockpit much buch it is visible for 2 miles as required by law. I use the other two lights for reties and fish removal. Any of these are less then 15.00 each at Wally World.

Hope this helps
I think I can dance.
Bill
Ultimate 14.5
Purple Emotion GS
prowler13angler

I need to do something about lighting very soon, as im getting less and less time on my hands, so i will have to start doing some under the moon.

I wanted to get the scotty one, looked pretty sturdy, and small light bulb, but 35-40$?!? Im still thinking about it....

I love the idea of the little one thats meant to clip on your head for lighting up the cockpit, I will for surely be getting one soon.
ettienne

Post by ettienne »

MM
Where do you keep the revolver with the hollow points?