How do you Write on blanks?

yohan1973

How do you Write on blanks?

Post by yohan1973 »

I'm not going to mess with decals so instead I'm going to write my info onto the blank. I'm familiar with the "technical" process of all including the finish coat but one little thing eludes me....PAINT MARKER SELECTION!
Bro's I've spent $20 bucks on paint markers of all types from medium to fine but even the fine writes a line as thick as a crayola crayon! What's up with that? I'm I doing something wrong? I mean Even if I write fast with the fine line pant marker its still SUPER THICK! Is there a special brand I should be using because ALL of the ones I've tried are NOT cut out for the job...
Stanley Steemer, carpet cleaner.
Rev. Tom

Post by Rev. Tom »

Yohan,

Take into consideration the fact that I have never built a rod nor have I ever seen a "homemade" rod (to my knowledge).

Couldn't you print your decal design on a piece of paper whose color compliments your rod, glue/affix the paper to the rod, put some finish wraps at each end of the paper, and then apply the finish to the entire rod?

I have no idea if this will work, but it seems like a good way to get around having decals printed on clear adhesive film.
"My knowledge can only be finite, while my ignorance must, necessarily, be infinite."
--Karl Popper
islander

Post by islander »

Gel pens. I picked up gold and silver from the walmart craft section. Cabelas, Jannsnetcraft carry them, too.
yohan1973

Post by yohan1973 »

islander wrote:Gel pens. I picked up gold and silver from the walmart craft section. Cabelas, Jannsnetcraft carry them, too.
I got a few of them from Walmart, Michels,Cabelas, and mud hole. med and fine but they all come out pretty thick if you ask me. I was just curious if there is some big secret to getting them to write Thin. I guess I'm just expecting too much! lol I think they all need to remarked their "FINE" as medium because they sure arn't fine. I will be posting picks of finished rods soon. Please don't laugh it it looks like I got some kid to lable them with a silver crayon! lol
Stanley Steemer, carpet cleaner.