Flyrod trouble?

Rev. Tom

Flyrod trouble?

Post by Rev. Tom »

I already posted something about this in the general forum, but I figured I would ask the experts. I was flyfishing and on my forward cast the top half of my rod took off with my line. I thought my rod had broken. Brought in my line and the top half had come off the bottom half. I immediately stopped fishing, came home, cleaned everything up, saw no signs of damage to the rod, and both halves seem to fit together fine. Should I be worried (I am, but is it justifiable)? Is there some sort of inspection I can make to determine if the integrity of the rod has been compromised? Should I just try fishing with it and see what happens? Please help me out--I don't want to stop fishing, but I don't want to ruin a rod that may be reparable. Thanks in advance for any advice that may be given.

--tom
"My knowledge can only be finite, while my ignorance must, necessarily, be infinite."
--Karl Popper
islander

Post by islander »

I had this problem with 4 pc. rods. Be worried.

Try bees wax on the ferrules. It will also help with them sticking together.
www.lemonbayconservancy.org
yohan1973

Post by yohan1973 »

I was told by some much better flyfolk that this is caused by jaming the section directly down untill they lock. I was told that it's much better if you slide and ROTATE the sections into place. I've had it happen to me ONLY when I get sloppy and jam the section together. I hope that helps
Stanley Steemer, carpet cleaner.
Phnd

Post by Phnd »

Rev I wouldn't worry to much about it. The sections are made to fit tight without a problem. Clean each section, put them together slightly off center then twist them down good and snug. You should be good to go.
Phil
BayAreaReelService.com