Other (please specify)
4%

Total votes: 83

Erick
"Mister OLC"
"Mister OLC"

What Brand of Reel are you using now:

Post by Erick »

As you know I am in the tackle industry, lots of new stuff out over the past year. Curious as to what avid anglers such as those on this board are using today. If you have made a change from another brand, or are interested in something from a different brand than you are using now, please post that in your response. Thanks.

The more votes the better, so please take a minute to at least vote, you dont have to respond.
Don't give up. Don't ever give up.
Jim Valvano

{{>=====<}} <'))))><ing
Rik

Post by Rik »

Give me a "20" size Quantum Cabo! Please!
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
JoeS

Post by JoeS »

My Basic Reels are:
Spinning
2-Penn SS4400
2-Penn SS4500 all 4 are the older version made in USA if I was to change it would more than likely be to Shimano
Bait Casting
4-Abu Garcia(2)5000 series and (2)6000 series(Origionals)
Fly Reels
1-Albright 8wt
1-Albright 6wt
Coach

Post by Coach »

I won't list what I have (too long), I'll list what I use on a regular basis:
2 Shimano Calcutta 251s
2 Shimano Curados (actually like them better than the Calcuttas)
Stradic 2500
Daiwa Whisker 1300 (almost ten years old and works great, best drag ever)
Spheros 3000
Symettre 2500
2 New Capricorn 2500s (So far very impressed, great drag)

I've always been a Shimano fan (family thing), but there are certain reels from other companies that I like and would own, but I don't have that much money or room!
BearsFan
Egotistical Prick

Post by BearsFan »

Stradic 4000 FH's and Calcutta 400B's. I would love to get my hands on a Cabo or Boca to compare, the stradics are a little tempermental and the 1 way bearig is pretty fussy, I have been thru three in two years.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"You think you have problems now? Follow your instincts, it will get worse" -Hatch
prowler13angler

Post by prowler13angler »

2 Penn slammers 260's
1 diawa capricorn
MrSpectaculous

Post by MrSpectaculous »

Sphero 4K x2
Diawa Baitcaster x1
I think I can dance.
Bill
Ultimate 14.5
Purple Emotion GS
FishingDL

Post by FishingDL »

Stradics,Spheros,Capicorns,Quantum Cabo,Okuma Epixor and VS. Quite a few others but I don't use them as much. Rik is right about the Cabos, they need a 20 series. All the reels are pretty good and I find myself going to the smaller sizes regardless of brand. I just got 3 Capicorns because of the price drop JJ posted about. I got the 2000 - the 2500- and the 3500. I can see myself liking the 2000 alot and not liking the 3500 just because of size. 95 percent of my fishing is on the flats with no structure and the smaller reels are what I like. I always have a heavier combo with me but it rarely gets used.
Dave
-------------------------------------------------------
Is your fish dripping?

(11-01) 235 - (1-22) 215
shamus
The Beaver Tickler

Post by shamus »

Van Stall 150 (really the only reel I need but who could only own 1 reel)
Penn Slammer 560 ( hell of a reel, a workhorse)
Cabo 30 (I'm with Rik make a 20)
Shimano (too many to name)
Penn Senator 4/0
I have a box of reels
0 0 1
Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

I have a couple of these. Works great!

I'm not just a member of the cheap @ss b@stards club, I'm the president!
James

"... but home to the bank came he, and the remorseless reel gathered up the thread of his life inch by inch." -Kipling
fishnfinatic

Post by fishnfinatic »

I use stradic 4000, but I'm having problems with my gears grinding, so I will be trying okuma now.
Tight Lines
Shawn
Dustin

Post by Dustin »

Shimano Calais, Chronarch, Chronarch SF.
fishnfinatic wrote:I use stradic 4000, but I'm having problems with my gears grinding, so I will be trying okuma now.
There's likely nothing wrong with your reel...it probably just needs more routine maintenance. Heck, the most expensive reels Shimano builds require fairly continual maintenance if you want them to perform optimally. That's just the nature of salt water exposure.
Mako

Post by Mako »

Even though I own some old Abu Garcias, Daiwa, and recently bought a Boca (on sale), I know that Shimano are the best reels I ever had. It's the only brand I've never had a problem with.

For big game, the expensive Fin-Nor has got to be among the best. I still have one that belonged to my father and it's working great. Must be at least 35 years old.
Peter
Wilderness Systems Tarpon 160
LivelyBaits

Post by LivelyBaits »

Erick,
I use six of the manufacturers on your list.

I think my favorite two reels in the bunch are the Quantum Catalyst 20 and the Shimano Sustain 4000

The client reels have been the Okuma Avengers and they're noisy but have taken a beating and held up pretty well.
pee-dash-eff, "Desperate. H.W"
shamus
The Beaver Tickler

Post by shamus »

It's kinda funny when I think back on all the different equipment I owned. I've probably caught as much or more fish on the "crappy" under 20 stuff as I have on the top of the line gear. It just never really lasted more than a season. I also use to fish all the time when I was younger and gear would get the crap beat out of it. Bike rides with rods tied to the handle bars , that kinda stuff.
Hey Erik here a OLC idea for you, a tournament with only old junk gear. Wobbley reels , rods missing guides, 6 different types of line spooled on a reel, rusty hooks .... :lol: :idea:
0 0 1
Erick
"Mister OLC"
"Mister OLC"

Post by Erick »

Shamus...maybe Hand Reels...now there would be a Challenge.

Cabo 20/Boca 20 expected in December...I will know more on Monday at our tackle show.
Don't give up. Don't ever give up.
Jim Valvano

{{>=====<}} <'))))><ing