Snook
50%
Redfish
50%

Total votes: 46

blindcast

Taste Test

Post by blindcast »

Ok, imagine you're fishing your favorite spot this weekend and just happen to reel in a 24inch redfish and a 29inch snook on the same lure (two trebles).

It could happen...

Anyway, your dying for a fresh fish dinner that night (especially after that fight) and decide to take one home. The only problem is you only have room for one fish.

Which one?

Any reason other than taste?
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

I do take home the occasional redfish, they are good eating.

Have not taken home a snook in awhile, they are damn good eating. One of the best eating fish out there IMO.
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
Coach

Post by Coach »

I haven't kept a fish in 10 years. Just can't bring myself to due in a beautiful fish. In the same breath though, I hold no malice towards anyone who keeps a legal fish!
Erick
"Mister OLC"
"Mister OLC"

Post by Erick »

Never had snook, do like redfish. Last one I took home to eat was probably 10 years ago. And yes, I have caught one or two in the last 10 years....
Don't give up. Don't ever give up.
Jim Valvano

{{>=====<}} <'))))><ing
blindcast

Post by blindcast »

I've never kept a snook... just can't do it. I keep a red if someone asks me but that happens very rarely.

Just wondered if it was worth killing my first snook or if reds are just as good when I get the itch.
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

Very rarely do i take any fish, but to my tastes there's no comparison between a Snook and a Red. Snook wins out by far, but I don't like to taek too many. One or two a year at most.
"If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree." - Michael Crichton
tbray

questions

Post by tbray »

Would you all eat ribs if you had to personally kill the pig? Or grill out steaks or burgers if you had to kill the cow? I am not saying pigs or cows are as beautiful as redfish, but you get my point.
I make plaid look....well....like plaid
Blindmullet

Post by Blindmullet »

Never have been a huge fan of Drum. Snook is a much better filet! My top 3 are:

Dorado
Snook
Trigger
Team Pro Bass "Fishing Legendz"
Rik

Re: questions

Post by Rik »

tbray wrote:Would you all eat ribs if you had to personally kill the pig? Or grill out steaks or burgers if you had to kill the cow?
Yes, been there, done that. For me, they taste better when you do it yourself.

Snook is much better, IMO, then redfish. However, I don't get a conservation twinge in my gut when I keep a redfish.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

Yes, I'd kill it, skin it, butcher it and cook it, and wouldn't think twice about it. :lol:
"If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree." - Michael Crichton
blindcast

Re: questions

Post by blindcast »

tbray wrote:Would you all eat ribs if you had to personally kill the pig? Or grill out steaks or burgers if you had to kill the cow? I am not saying pigs or cows are as beautiful as redfish, but you get my point.
Now I'm not arguing with ya my friend but there are a S-load of pigs and cows out there and I'd bathe in their blood if it were the only way to eat ribs or steak... I'm not kidding.

Don't get me wrong. I look at fish like they're swimming sandwiches, pigs like they're a butt-load of bacon, and cows like they're... well, everything good in life.

I have sharp teeth for a reason.

I do want to taste a Snook but they're just a bit different to me. After the fight I just want it to go out and make more little snook that I can catch.

And I'm not downing anyone who eats them BY ANY MEANS.
PiratePat

Post by PiratePat »

Mmmmmm. Fish dinner.
Going out this evening. Early for a Snook Supper, but I'd be happy to taste test a Red if I get the chance. It's been a while for a Snook, and I'd best have a good comparison If I get the chance. Unfortunately I keep finding the short ones on both sides of the discussion.

Now cows on the other hand...
The little ones....
Yummy.
And if you don't like the Idea of Veal, I hope you're a non-dairy individual as well. Nobody is slaughtering decent eating beef before it's full grown, and the dairy cows have to be kept lactating. What do they do with the male calves?

Somebody's gotta eat it or it'd be even more of a terrible waste!
-Pat
islander

Post by islander »

I'd rather fish for and keep a pizza. Specially, the new lasagna styles pizza hut offers. Fudgems!
www.lemonbayconservancy.org
blindcast

Post by blindcast »

islander wrote:I'd rather fish for and keep a pizza. Specially, the new lasagna styles pizza hut offers. Fudgems!
Now that's a sport. Those delivery guys spook easy.

Like the one time I answered the door only wearing a clown mask... I was on this very website forum at the time and he didn't wait for me to explain that.
MrSpectaculous

Post by MrSpectaculous »

I've not kept a fish in 10 years cept one bass during the last hurricane and I was starving. (A culvert bass no less yuck) I'm more in it for the sport and I respect the species enough to get my dining fish from Publix. I don't mind blood and guts in fact I like it, but cleaning fish is a hassle.

One thing i will say tho is I can eat a whole lake full of bream, mmmm deep fried fins and all with steak fries....lots of salt and pepper.....oh and cracklin cornbread. Can I get an Oh YEAH!!!!!

Part of me wishes we all had to kill and cook our own food, be alot less waste that way...but then I am an extremist and former professional camper
I think I can dance.
Bill
Ultimate 14.5
Purple Emotion GS
pag_yaker

Post by pag_yaker »

Lizardfish nuggets taste a lot like scallops ... :)
Jerry White
Contributing author for Paddling.net since 2005
Contributing author for Florida Sportsman Magazine
Member - Florida Outdoor Writers Association