Poll about keeping fish + Experience i had today

Would you let someone else on the dock keep your catch?

Yes
20%
No
80%

Total votes: 40

prowler13angler

Poll about keeping fish + Experience i had today

Post by prowler13angler »

Today, i had an awesome experience. I visited a local fishing pier, the kind of pier where a lot of shady people, but on occasion some family oriented people go to fish. I know quite a few guys who fish there frequently and today a few of them were there.

When i got there a guy who knows me was saying "Oh you missed it!" "We got 2 big ones!". Looking down on his stringer are 2 big black drum. One about 15# the other about 20#. I was like..."Hey those are nice fish!" But i did ask if those fish were still good to eat at that size. He said "Oh ya there great!" Not saying anything since i know the guy (And i wasn't sure myself on there quality) i shook it off and congratulated him.

A few minutes later his drag goes off again, on his 80# test rod, he jumps up and says "Yeah, Another!". I got up, got the cam and started filming. Camera went dead half way in the fight, so i put it away. I told the guy i had some grips, and i can help you land the fish safely. He was very greatful and told me to get his net, since his wife, and one other guy were the only ones around. Getting the fish closer to the peir, i laid eyes on the fish. It was probably around 18-20#. I netted the fish and was pretty excited for the guy, since it was a sweet catch. He admired it for a few minutes. The fish looked like a large pregnant female, and we debated to let her go, since he already had his limit of fish, and it was most likely pregnant.

I knew the fish was already in bad shape from being out of the water while the guy took photo's, but oncehe gaveus the OK to get her back in, we raced to get her in the water. The pier was a good 6 ft. off the water, and we knew we would have to get her revieved nicely. Wasting no time, me and steve jump right in.

I have never revived such a large fish like that, and it feltgrate to hold that fish in my hands as i knew i was doing a good deed, and the fish would appreciate it. The current was strong and the fish quickly grew back strength. It was an awesome feeling...As the fish swam away me and steven stood in the water..we were both still kinda shaken, Since that was the coolest thing i have ever done. It was great, and i thought i would share. The guys on the dock were cool, and one guy who knew a little bit more than the others said "Thanks allot of reviving that fish, and making sure she was good to go"...What a feeling...

If that fish wasn't pregnant, he more than likely would have filleted her up and gave her to someone else on the dock.

----------------------POLL-------------------------------------

If you caught a big, enjoyable, gamefish, on a populated dock, with other fishermen there looking to catch dinner, and you are 99% a catch and release fisherman, Would you let someone else on the dock keep your catch?

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry for typing up a big long story, but if you like to read, you should enjoy it.

What a day. 8)
HungryMullet

Post by HungryMullet »

It is rare that I keep my catch for me I will not give away a game fish to someone I don't know. And the regs for black drum only alow one fish per person over 24". It is unlikely that those two drum were under 24" he should have only had one on his stringer. Unless there were two people catching the fish.
When exhaustion gets tired.
When agony doubles over in pain.
When defeat waves a white flag.
I will still be out here.

Fishing.
I am what I am.
MrSpectaculous

Post by MrSpectaculous »

I voted no...I would not even give my best bud a fish I caught unless I was cooking it. A man can catch his own or head on over to Publix.

I have had complete strangers yell obsenities at me for releasing fish claiming I could have given it to them. Not a chance...Good job on the revival.
I think I can dance.
Bill
Ultimate 14.5
Purple Emotion GS
CooKnFish

Post by CooKnFish »

You can bed another man's wife but you cannot eat another man's fish.
Paddles - they aren't just for the bedroom anymore.

~Mark~
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

Pier rats are notorious meat fisherman and will often bend the rules to fill their freezer. Just spend an early morning at the Venice jetty.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
fishpirate

Post by fishpirate »

i release all my fish and stop at long john silver's on the way home. extra malt vinegar please. :wink:
Snook712

Post by Snook712 »

I will cook up a fish occasionally but release most of the time. I would never give a fish I caught to a stranger unless it was a catfish. Stangers are welcome to all the cats they can carry home. I will even conk them over the head for them.
Hooked on Youth Fishing Team - Sponsored by Cat Crap Lip Balm
"Fishing for the Future"
Ultimate 12 (Green)
Malibu Stealth 14 (Sand)
Roger
AKA Rod

Post by AKA Rod »

Good job P-13 on the release of the drum,I do keep a fish now and then,but would not give away.
I am too old to die young.
Rik

Post by Rik »

I'll catch my own damn redfish.....
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
paddlaroun

Post by paddlaroun »

"Give a man a fish you feed him for the day. Teach a man to fish you feed him for a lifetime." I would much rather share the knowledge with the people there so they can catch their own. Dan
Dan Native 12
"Sleep in fish late"

"I know the waters cold! Wet your hand anyway!!!"
Norm
Supporter 2007 - 2014
Supporter 2007 - 2014

http://cybermessageboard.ehost.com/paddlef/viewtopic.php?t=1

Post by Norm »

CooKnFish wrote:You can bed another man's wife but you cannot eat another man's fish.
Making note to self...do not invite Mark over for snook dinner :roll: :lol:

Good job P13...your wise beyound your years. :wink:

Norm
Obama just traded 5 Mercedes for a Slinky ....Greg Gutfeld
RockinNReelin

Post by RockinNReelin »

I too will OCCASSIONALLY take a fish home to eat and once in a great while I will bring a fish home for my daughter, my son or my brother to eat but that's it!
~Sharon~
Never lie to someone you trust, Never trust someone who lies to you.
MrSpectaculous

Re: http://cybermessageboard.ehost.com/paddlef/viewtopic.php

Post by MrSpectaculous »

Shortcast wrote:
CooKnFish wrote:You can bed another man's wife but you cannot eat another man's fish.
Making note to self...do not invite Mark over for snook dinner :roll: :lol:

Good job P13...your wise beyound your years. :wink:

Norm
We could go to Marks to eat tho right? Is he married?
I think I can dance.
Bill
Ultimate 14.5
Purple Emotion GS