Native Watercraft 12

If you use one that is listed, please add a review. If a kayak or canoe that you would like to give a review of is not listed, please add it. This is also where you can show off your boat.
Rik

Native Watercraft 12

Post by Rik »

Please post a review

Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
Gh Fisherboy

Post by Gh Fisherboy »

I gave native a try today at Bill Jackson's(thanks SeaBiscuit) and thought it was awesome.
PROS- I can't really talk from a fishing stand point but it is very stable. I put all of my weight on one side of the yak while standing up and it didn't flip! That is 10X more stable then the prowler 13 I currently fish out of now. Everything is really open and you don't have to go digging through hatchs looking for something and it's incredibly light so I can easily carry it and it isn't as akward as most yaks are.
CONS- Alot slower than most kayaks and is also doesn't have a flat spot in the rear for a crate(The skeg gets in the way) like most fishing kayaks have today. The native also doesn't have dry storage.
Fishing isn't boring....you just suck at it.
paddlaroun

Post by paddlaroun »

I am a Native convert for sure! I actually fished the kayak division of the Old Salt tournament last Saturday and never made the weigh in (all I caught was Ladyfish anyway). But I was enjoying paddling so much I didn't make the weigh in. On to the review. I liked the very open design. The foot braces adjust quite easily to allow you to stretch out if needed. For any that plan to fish from their Natve as I certainly do if you want to use a crate you will have to redo it as it sits lower behind you in the Native then it did in my sit on top. I can't say enough about the stability especially with the skeg in the down position. It was blowing pretty good and I was able to stand and not have a tippy feeling at all. When I first test paddled the Native before I bought it I stood and put weight to each side to see how far I could push it to the water line and felt very secure that I would probably loose my balance before I pushed it over. Very dry ride. I got the plastic model as it suits my paddle style the best. The hull seems every bit as thick as the other kayaks I have seen and it comes with a lifetime warranty. The worst thing on the whole boat is the cup holder. It will hold a small cup or adult beverage in a can that is about it. It tracked really good for my needs in a paddle craft. If the cup holder is the worst feature then the seat has to be the best. Very comfortable. Easily adjusted while you sit in it. The tray that holds the seat doubles as a small tool tray. While the Native may not be for everyone it is definately the paddle craft for me. Feel free to PM me if you have a question about the Native I will be happy to talk about it. Dan
Dan Native 12
"Sleep in fish late"

"I know the waters cold! Wet your hand anyway!!!"
LivelyBaits

Post by LivelyBaits »

te :shock:
no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no :idea:
Last edited by LivelyBaits on Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tdsdad

native

Post by tdsdad »

I was all set to buy the native 12 until a reputable Tampa area store guide told me:

"they are very tippy and when a friend of mine tried it in his pool, he stood up and wiggled it side to side and it filled up with water and sank to the bottom of the pool"

yikes, what the he$$ is that?

I'll be testing one out next week
take your kids fishing-
Sledford

Post by Sledford »

I don't know what your friend did to tip it but it should have bulk heads it the front and rear to keep it from sinking. I can stand in mine with not trouble. They have a great secondary stability. I have seen people stand on one foot and not tip it. I can cast and work a top water while standing. Stop by Bill Jackson's anytime and you can try one on the lake out back.
Sam
yohan1973

Post by yohan1973 »

Stanley Steemer, carpet cleaner.
Tradfisher

Post by Tradfisher »

Yohan--thanks for that link!

I just sold my "Tippy" canoe last night and will be trying out the Native 12' this weekend. I think it will fit my bill of what I need.

If the Georgia boys like it on the Flint River ten I know I will like it on the flats.
JoeS

Post by JoeS »

Well after me harassing Tim Jarvis at Bill Jacksons( Sam wasn't there) for two days I finally picked up my Ultimate 12 yesterday. The two days was me changing my mind as to where to place rod holders, trolly system, color, ect. ect. Tim was very patient with me and his customer service was EXCELLENT, as a matter of fact everyone at Bill Jacksons was customer friendly, I will make the trip for future fishing and outdoor needs. I didn't even make it home I went straight to the water to try her out...............I was only going to stay on the water for a few min then get home, well 4 hrs later( I would have fished longer but I didn't have any water , sunscreen) I will say this boat is by far the most comfortable Kayak I have owned or tried....................All of the above reviews seem to be accurate, I would like to use the boat a few times before I give my review but for now I am impressed.........
Joe