I Almost Died...

Flamingo to Big Bend
blindcast

I Almost Died...

Post by blindcast »

Well maybe that's an over statement.

I fished the living crap out of DB while the rest of you where slinging silver spoons. I caught nothing... NOTHING!

The tide was flowing and I fished every foot of mangrove, every ambush spot... Everywhere.

Highlight of this suckfest, punch in the balls I called a day of fishing was seeing one of these...

Not my photo

...cross the creek and look at me a couple times before heading into the mangroves on the other side.

Seriously, this thing was the size of a pitbull. And pitbull's don't have four paws armed with razor-sharp daggers that rip flesh from other warm-blodded animals to survive.

Needless to say I was alarmed.
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

You sure it wasn't a Florida Panther BC, reason I ask is I came across a very large Cat, one morning at DB, and I would swore it was to big to be Bob Cat. I was walking through the scrub on the way to a wade fishing spot, and the large cat was sitting over a freshly killed rabit, I froze, he looked at me, I looked at him, luckily he decided to leave.

I waited 5 minutes, cleaned up the old underpants and carried on to the spot. :lol:
"If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree." - Michael Crichton
blindcast

Post by blindcast »

I wasn't real close (Thank God) but it looked very close to the picture I have above... Short tail, pointed ears, same markings...

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it was a Bobcat. I just googled FL Panter and there's no way it was a panther.

Good Lord John, thankfully we're some big fellas. I bowed up trying to look as big as I could...Stood on my toes and everything. I almost gave it my best Grizzly impression when it gave me a second look. HA!
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

Looks like you got a much better look than I did mate, about how tall would you say it stood.
When I saw mine it was in the half light of dawn and I could not make out any coloration other than a brown/tan coat. Maybe it was a Bob Cat I saw, either way its a moment I'll always remember and treasure.

Yeah being a big fella may have helped him decide to flight rather than fight!
"If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree." - Michael Crichton
blindcast

Post by blindcast »

It was at least as tall as a pitbull, maybe a Lab... I always thought Bobcats where smaller to be honest... not anymore. It was good size. Big enough to make me genuinely afraid for my life.

It thought about it for sure. The second look up and down sent chills up my spine and poop out my shoot.
Redfisher

Post by Redfisher »

So if I decide to fish DB in the morning,I should bring some catnip.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club
blindcast

Post by blindcast »

More like a 12 gauge.

Seriously though, I probably won't go out there again without a knife at least. Something.
Redfisher

Post by Redfisher »

blindcast wrote:More like a 12 gauge.

Seriously though, I probably won't go out there again without a knife at least. Something.
A KNIFE!?! Please let me know when so I can go. I've never heard a bobcat laugh. :wink: :D

Honestly, where I grew up in Louisiana we had lots of cats around and I never heard of anyone being attacked. And in 20 years of living here I haven't had a problem here either. I did hear a story about some nut who got attacked by an owl while wearing a coonskin hat. :D
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club
FishingKid

Post by FishingKid »

i hardly doubt the cat would have attacked :shock: ive seen a few back in my woods and they always ran before i could get close enough for a picture
Chief1600

Post by Chief1600 »

Every once in a while one will walk through our yard (I live way out East). I've never been worried about the cats for myself, mostly wory about what would happen if my dogs were outside when it happens.
Jim - snooty elitist

"Of all pursuits mankind has devised to make you look stupid and uncoordinated, fly fishing is unquestionably number one." Jack Ohman, Fear of Fly Fishing
Sundancer

Post by Sundancer »

redfisher wrote:So if I decide to fish DB in the morning,I should bring some catnip.
Just remember to stuff it in your fishing bait... err... I mean buddy's PFD.
mauso1
Supporter 2007 - 2013

Post by mauso1 »

You sure it wasn't a Florida Panther BC, reason I ask is I came across a very large Cat
If you see a FL panther you will definetly know the difference>
I have seen 3..One up close and personal in N FL. and two crossing the road in Central FL just north and east of Orlando. They are very large when mature ..not as big as say a tiger but 2-3 bounds and they are across the highway. The one I encountered in N FL was at least 6-7 ft long tip of the nose to the tip of the tail.
Erick
"Mister OLC"
"Mister OLC"

Post by Erick »

I used to take my kids to the Nature Center and park at DB to see the aquariums and all the stuff they have in there. Last year one of the rangers told me there had been a couple of sightings of a large cat. But I cant remember for the life of me, whether he said it was a panther or a bobcat. Seems to me he said there has been a panther sighting at the park before, they would be the ones to ask.
Don't give up. Don't ever give up.
Jim Valvano

{{>=====<}} <'))))><ing
MrSpectaculous

Post by MrSpectaculous »

Bobcats are harmless unless cornered...The only reason you saw him was because you were in a kayak, had you been on land you never would have seen him or heard him..they are VERY stealthy.

He would have heard or seen or smelled you long before you got close to him if you were on foot. They are the apex predator for this area. You should feel blessed..that sighting one is a once in a lifetime experience.
I think I can dance.
Bill
Ultimate 14.5
Purple Emotion GS
Bill Kranek

Post by Bill Kranek »

Bobcats are very neat creatures and will usually not mess with you. Now the panthers are awesome and I respect these almost lion size cats. They sound like babies in the woods. Ever been tracked by a panther while hunting, I have, it's not cool! Chills up the spine.
Shut up and fish....
uncdub13

Post by uncdub13 »

Bill Kranek wrote:They sound like babies in the woods.
Yes, and that sound will make you walk a LOT faster in pitch black dark on the way to your stand in the morning. Man what a feeling.