Velcro

Have rigging questions or a good idea? Found a good fishing product? Tell us about it.
Sundancer

Velcro

Post by Sundancer »

Does anyone else use Velcro on their boats?

On my last kayak I had small items like a first aid kit and flashlight velcroed to the inside of the hatch covers.
Now that I've downsized and about to rig my new boat. The new kayak has no bungee cords or eye straps and I'm wondering about using velcro for some of the rigging.
It seems to me that velcroing the milk crate should hold just as well as bungee straps. It also seems that the thump of the bungee paddle holder would scare the fish more that the slight rip sound the velcro makes.

What are your thoughts?
Rik

Post by Rik »

I have a compass mounted on my Tarpon 16 with 'marine velcro' that I bought at West Marine. It is Velcro brand. The material is plastic, it is not the cloth that is typical of regular velcro.

The marine velcro holds great. It's been 5 or so years and it's still holding like new. The compass has only come off a few times when it was banged while loading several kayaks in the back of a truck.

Regular velcro suffers over time as it gets wet. Plus, it tends to attract dirt, weeds, etc. As an example, I look at the velcro wrap at the top of my wade boots and the velcro at the hem of my long fishing pants. After some time, it just quits holding.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley