Mission Jig Heads sizes: A question for you all

Would you find a jighead useful that's between the 1/8 and 1/4 ounce Mission jighead?

Definitely
58%
No
42%

Total votes: 33

LivelyBaits

Mission Jig Heads sizes: A question for you all

Post by LivelyBaits »

This one might just be something that's a little odd but I wondered if anyone else felt the same way.

I use the 1/16, 1/8 and the 1/4 of that jighead.

My question is in regards to the size and weight difference between that 1/8 and 1/4 oz jighead: Has anyone else ever had a desire for one of their jigheads that's in a weight class right in between those two jigheads?

I've studied those jigs side-by-side and as I said, I use both of them on a regular basis. To me, it seems like going up to that 1/4 ounce jighead is a pretty big leap in size of the lead mold for that style of jighead.

I have a particular lure in mind, a soft plastic, that I think would perform even better if there was a "tweener" size between the two. I like the product for sure, and maybe my issue with it isn't really something that can be addressed but I wanted to know if anyone else ever had the same thought?
pee-dash-eff, "Desperate. H.W"
fishinfoflounder

Been there done that.

Post by fishinfoflounder »

Yes I've experienced the same issue. It was in the freshwater Bass arena but I think I still get your drift.
I couldn't find a mold to make the size I wanted so I ended up spending some time with a 4 sided rasp & some sandpaper to make the size I wanted. The buoyancy of the plastic lure I was using was such that 1/4 made it drop too fast & 1/8 wasn't quite fast enough. I'm sure given some time searching online the proper jig mold is out there somewhere. I just tired of looking for it.
DAILY THOUGHT: MOST PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY
BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.
Rooster

Post by Rooster »

I find this too, I noticed the 1/8 goes down too slow, and the 1/4 goes too fast on certain plastics. Would be nice to get an "in betweener" :wink:

Although if I feel the exude is sinking too fast, I just throw a 3x in the same/similar style/color the 3x are a bit more boyant than the exudes and it works well for me.
"I tell you now we won't give in
Without a vicious fight, We've been battered and left for dead, We've been beaten and we have bled-Versus the world" ~Amon Amarth
Blindmullet

Post by Blindmullet »

Drill a small hole in the 1/4oz. It would have a fish attracting sound like that of a wiffle ball bat :)

I have more problems finding the correct shank size.
Team Pro Bass "Fishing Legendz"
JoeS

Post by JoeS »

Use the 1/8th and stuff a small rattle in the head of the Plastic or I have used the 1/8 and put buckshot or small BB's in the plastic...."Mission Accomplished" no Pun intended :wink: ................
"I want to help the helpless, but I don't give a damn about the clueless anymore!
LivelyBaits

Post by LivelyBaits »

Rooster wrote:I find this too, I noticed the 1/8 goes down too slow, and the 1/4 goes too fast on certain plastics. Would be nice to get an "in betweener" :wink:
Yep, that's ultimately what I'm talking about.

The other thing about it: With that one soft plastic I mentioned, in shallow water this thing would swim up nicely in that shallow water and it would swim "true". With the 1/8 it might wobble a little instead of swimming straight and true.

That tweener size might be great for trout waters. Sink a lure down a little faster and swim a little deeper even at a little faster retrieve speeds (and yes, that 1/4 oz one just seems a little bulky sometimes, even for the deeper waters.)
TerryW

Post by TerryW »

I doubt that I'd use that size, but one never knows.

What I'd much rather see is for them to make the new weedless Mission in a 1/16 oz size. Those are great jigheads.
35/34.5/26 24/22/1/1

I finally found Cow Creek. It's at the end of the Road to Nowhere!
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

Do you realize you are talking a 1/8 oz difference. I would be willing to bet if it was out there you would not notice the difference. What I think you really need, with what you are trying to accomplish, is a different style jig head.
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
kspops

Post by kspops »

Lately I have been using a Renegade worm hook that has a weight attached. Wally world has them for $1.82 per 5 and come in 1/8th, 1/16th, 1/32, and 1/64th weights. The 1/8th size works well. I haven't used any other yet.
Yes, I can get 20 feet of Pontoon boat equipment on a 16 foot Pontoon boat....
LivelyBaits

Post by LivelyBaits »

Todd wrote:Do you realize you are talking a 1/8 oz difference. I would be willing to bet if it was out there you would not notice the difference. What I think you really need, with what you are trying to accomplish, is a different style jig head.
I do realize that. What's mystifying to me is how much bigger the 1/4 jighead looks compared to the 1/8.

But yes, I have considered that it could be a jighead style issue.

Ultimately I was just curious if anyone else had any strong feelings on it. I like their jigheads and I'll continue to use them, but I do think if there was a same style jighead that was a little heavier than the 1/8 I would buy it more than any other jighead they have.
mauso1
Supporter 2007 - 2013

Post by mauso1 »

What might accomplish the same thing is go to a longer hook embeded in the 1/8 ..I'd buy some 3/16th's tho..especially if the hook was longer and as strong.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club
fishinfoflounder

Wobble head jigs

Post by fishinfoflounder »

Any of you folks use wobble head jigs? I do a bit of tinkering with more than I like to admit sometimes & since I've always had access to alot of lead I've always made my own sinkers. Well that lead to jigheads & then I saw this jighead in cabelas.
I've used it with alot of sucess on flounder & trout. haven't had oportunity to fish for snook. I'm betting it would work well there too. The design keeps the hook up, which helps keep it from hanging in stuff. And it has a little bit of built in action on the fall.
Check them out.
DAILY THOUGHT: MOST PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY
BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.
Redfisher

Post by Redfisher »

I rarely have a use for any other than the 1/16th or the 1/8th.

I do love the MF jigheads though mainly because(this is revolutionary)they are sharp out of the package.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club
madmarco

Post by madmarco »

the 1/8th is a slow working jighead, a 1/4 is too heavy , so something in between i would try it out
LivelyBaits

Post by LivelyBaits »

It's unscientific but 63% of the people seem to favor an in between sized mission jig.

I did find a jighead in a tackle tray I have that has that "in between" feel even though I think it's a 1/4 oz but it's in a different shape.

Maybe it is just a lure design issue but I sure would like to have that same shaped lead head in an in-between size. I really just wondered how many other people felt the same.
stingray

jig heads

Post by stingray »

Neil, There is a big difference in stated weight between manufactures. I have checked this on my bullet scale. Example a Bass Assain 1/16 oz. weights more than a 1/8 oz. DOA Jig head. A 1/8 oz Bass Pro Jig weights less than a 1/8 oz. DOA.
A NON WHITE SHIRT WEARING KAYAK JOCKEY