Rigging Weddless Lures

Questions and answers on anything related to kayak or canoe fishing
Heywood

Rigging Weddless Lures

Post by Heywood »

I thought I would share my experience with them. By no means I'm I saying that I'm an expert when it comes to fishing, but I have had some success, so I thought I would pass along some tips on rigging these lures.

I like to use the Mustad Power Lock hooks in 1/16 oz, size 3/0. I've found the 3/0 is just the right size, 1/0 or 2/0 are good if you are using a liter leader, say 20 lbs, but if you need to step it up to 30 lbs, it will not fit through the eye of the hook.

I also like the new Mission Fishin Weedless Jerk Bait hook. Again, I like the 3/0 size and I found some in 1/32 oz that I really like. They have a different bait keeper system than the Power Locks, it's a screw in type.

For lures, 90% of the time I'm throwing an Exude RT Slug. Colors vary, but I've had good luck with Arkansas Shad, Mangrove Red and Watermelon and Pearl. Here is the first tip I picked up while using Jerk Baits. If the bait your using does not have a groove in the top where the hook will lay down, take a knife and cut a small slit so the hook sets down in that groove. I do this when using DOA, Flukes or other Jerk Baits that don't have that groove. The other tip I want to pass along is this, once rigged up, take the hook and just push it forward a little bit so just the point is buried into the bait. This will help keep it weedless.

Another lure that I will use is a DOA Paddle Tail. I like the Golden Bream color and this one, not sure of the name.

On these lures, you need to use the smaller size Mustads such as the 1/0. Again I like to go as lite as possible, 1/16 oz. You rig this lure the same way you do a jerk bait.

I have deleted a section about using Gulps for tailing redfish, I know how some feel about this subject, but if you would like to see it PM me.

Next, have you ever seen a shrimp try to get away from something that was trying to eat it? They escape by going backwards. Try rigging a DOA Shrimp this way. I think this might look more natural. Why cut the tail off? This will keep the lure from spinning when you retrieve it.

I hope this helps, thanks for taking the time to read it.
"Anytime I shag a buddies wife I always cut the lawn when I'm done " ~ The Leg End ~
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

I really like the way you have the shrimp rigged, will have to give that a try. What size hook are you using for the shrimp? How would you rig a gulp any differently?

Thanks for sharing, that is good info.
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
Shep

Post by Shep »

Thanks for the tips. They'll come in real handy, especially for us clueless fishermen. :lol:
New place, new fishing adventures.
SRQGator
Grocery Yodeler

Post by SRQGator »

I've recently started using the slugs rigged with a worm hook and bullet weight (is this called a Texas rig? Carolina?). It works really well in the weeds. The only problem I'm having is with line twist. I work it slow, so it doesn't spin a lot, but it still seems to twist me up good. Any ideas?
Trootin

Post by Trootin »

Good info there. I like to rig the 4" Gulp shrimp like you did the DOA shrimp, it casts a freakin mile. Works great this time of year.
srsfsu

Post by srsfsu »

Interesting rig on the shrimp. I'll give that a whirl. I fish the slugs weedless all year but I prefer the 4/0 on those Exudes. They are so much bigger than the DOA and Gulp jerkbaits that I find the 3/0 doesn't give me enough gap. However, judging by your reports it works just fine for you.
Shep

Post by Shep »

SRQGator wrote:I've recently started using the slugs rigged with a worm hook and bullet weight (is this called a Texas rig? Carolina?). It works really well in the weeds. The only problem I'm having is with line twist. I work it slow, so it doesn't spin a lot, but it still seems to twist me up good. Any ideas?
Tie a swivel between your line and leader mabye? :?
MarkM
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by MarkM »

SRQGator wrote:I've recently started using the slugs rigged with a worm hook and bullet weight (is this called a Texas rig? Carolina?). It works really well in the weeds. The only problem I'm having is with line twist. I work it slow, so it doesn't spin a lot, but it still seems to twist me up good. Any ideas?
If it's twisting, you probably don't have the hook centered in the slug. When you stick it on the hook, drag it through the water before casting. It should just wobble side to side, but not twist. If it does, reposition the hook in the slug. It all has to be balanced to work right. Takes a little practice.
saltwater_cowboy
Supporter 2007 - 2013

Post by saltwater_cowboy »

Good info on rigging, Heywood. Thanks for the tips....

I've had success with these hooks from Cabela's

Here's the link if anyone's interested
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... =cat601321

Only problem is they don't make anything smaller than a 4/0....they work great with the RT Slugs!
Mark

Here fishy, fishy, fishy......
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

Shep wrote:
SRQGator wrote: Tie a swivel between your line and leader mabye? :?
No need for a swivel. Just rig it correctly as Mark said.
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
LivelyBaits

Post by LivelyBaits »

What's a swivel?

Hey Saltwater Cowboy: How do those hooks and that coil hold up to the salt water?

I believe it was Dirty Dave who showed me how to rig a DOA shrimp up reversing the hook. Rather than cutting the whole tail off like Heywood does, you can also cut a notch back there instead. You can jam the bayonet in that notch if you want to use the power lock jighead on it but I've always kind of felt the DOA shrimp as it comes in the package does pretty well in weedy conditions.
pee-dash-eff, "Desperate. H.W"
SRQGator
Grocery Yodeler

Post by SRQGator »

Todd wrote:
Shep wrote:
SRQGator wrote: Tie a swivel between your line and leader mabye? :?
No need for a swivel. Just rig it correctly as Mark said.
They're rigged on center. After second thought, I think the issue is originating in the line and not the lure. Just need to get that straightened out.
Shep

Post by Shep »

[quote] No need for a swivel. Just rig it correctly as Mark said. [quote]

Well, if you want to do it the CORRECT way, yeah, that will work to. :lol:
Snook712

Post by Snook712 »

I have used this method of rigging DOA shrimp weedless and found it not only works with them but also with most other softbaits. I bend up a bunch of wire and keep them in the jig box and use them as needed.

[/img]http://www.doalures.com/weedless.htm
Hooked on Youth Fishing Team - Sponsored by Cat Crap Lip Balm
"Fishing for the Future"
Ultimate 12 (Green)
Malibu Stealth 14 (Sand)
Roger
J.P. FROG

Post by J.P. FROG »

Thanks for sharing, Bill.

I recently started rigging my DOA shrimp like you show, however, I leave a little more of the tail on by cutting only the "flat" part of the tailfins off and leaving all of the body attached. It's a little tough pushing in the pin of the powerlock in the tail, but I think the shrimp looks a little more "real/alive".
Gary

[i]He who looks outside dreams. He who looks within awakens.[/i]
LagoonAddict

Post by LagoonAddict »

Fantastic information....

this is what makes this site so great!!!!

YOU COULDN'T BUY THIS KIND OF INFORMATION!!!!

Thanks again

Bob
East Coast "Clique of One"

"'til reinforced, can we learn the ways of church-mice"