Rod/Line for Topwater?

What rod/line combo do you find works best with topwater lures?

Light rod w/ mono
No votes
Med rod w/ mono
13%
Light rod w/ braid
13%
Med rod w/ braid
63%
Other
13%

Total votes: 32

SRQGator
Grocery Yodeler

Rod/Line for Topwater?

Post by SRQGator »

I have the best results on a 7' med/fast with braid. The same rod with mono didn't work as well for me.
Dustin

Post by Dustin »

6ft medium action rod, Shimano Calais/Chronarch, 30lb braid. I go to a MH rod for full sized plugs.
xfactor

Post by xfactor »

7 to 7.5 MH with mono and the same length in a med. with braid.

Jimmy
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

I use a 6'6" MH with Braid, its a stiff rod, but I like the way ir works a plg and it has plenty of back bone for those bigger fish.
"If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree." - Michael Crichton
mauso1
Supporter 2007 - 2013

Post by mauso1 »

7'6" ST Croix Tidemaster medium fast with the butt cut off and 15 lb braid..Okuma MDS 30..
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club
Rik

Post by Rik »

My favorite topwater rod came by accident. It was an 8' Medium power, fast action St. Croix Tidemaster that had it's tip broken off. It is now 7'6", a medium heavy and a great topwater rod.

Like John's, it's a pretty stiff rod but you stay connected to the lure that way.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
SRQGator
Grocery Yodeler

Post by SRQGator »

Rik wrote:My favorite topwater rod came by accident. It was an 8' Medium power, fast action St. Croix Tidemaster that had it's tip broken off. It is now 7'6", a medium heavy and a great topwater rod.

Like John's, it's a pretty stiff rod but you stay connected to the lure that way.
That's what I was 'fishin' for. I've found the same thing, but wasn't sure if it was the norm.