Cheap Steak Out Pole

Have rigging questions or a good idea? Found a good fishing product? Tell us about it.
seeinred

Cheap Steak Out Pole

Post by seeinred »

Here's my stake out pole, only cost me $2.50.

Go to a plumbing store and get 5 ft of schedule80 PVC, I got 1 1/2" diameter (outside to outside), only because that was the smallest they had when I went.

Drill hole through one end, an inch or so below the end. Make sure the hole is big enough to fit a piece of rope of string through:

After that take a jigsaw and cut the other end at an angle to make a point:

And that's it, ready to go. This type of PVC is much stronger then regular PVC pipe, no need to put anything inside of it.

Here's a pic of it rigged and ready to go...
For more kayak fishing reports, tips, and fishing charters please visit;
http://tampabaykayakcharters.com/

Spencer
BrianW

Post by BrianW »

That's what I'm talkin about. No need to get all fancy and spend boocoo bucks on somthing, when you can make for less than five bones youself and does just a fine job.
DMaddogfla

Post by DMaddogfla »

Looks like a great idea...Thanks!!!!
skinnywater

Post by skinnywater »

PVC works great if you have large scuppers. I picked up a nice aluminum walking stick, made by Bearclaw, for under $20. Its only 1/2" diameter so it fits inside the scuppers on a MantaRay.

If you go with PVC, stick with the sch 80. It will last alot longer due to UV inhibitors in the plastic.
kspops

Post by kspops »

Or hit the second hand stores for a pair of Ski poles. Knock the plastic cup off the bottom and there you go. I have seen them for about $5.00 a pair. :wink:
Yes, I can get 20 feet of Pontoon boat equipment on a 16 foot Pontoon boat....
nikonjedi

Post by nikonjedi »

I thought the Schedule 80 was the thinner stuff... I'll use the Sch 40 since it's thicker and will hold my bote in place without bending and if the sun gets to it... oh well theres $3 down the tubes :wink:
"Paddle Faster boys... I hear banjo music..."
Tarpon 160os
SC Chapter Coordinator- Heroes on the Water
www.heroesonthewater.org
skinnywater

Post by skinnywater »

Jedi, the higher the number, the thicker the wall. Irrigation is sched 10, normal home stuff is sched 40, and sched 80 and up is mainly either commercial or designed to be exposed to sunlight for a long time.
nikonjedi

Post by nikonjedi »

My bad dude... I meant I would go with sch80 so it is stronger and holds my bote in place better.... :wink: I had a 50/50 shot and having it right :D I have been toying with the idea of a PVC stake out pole but I haven't done it yet. A buddy of mine up here has one and he swears by it. Of course his is a cajun anchor and cost $80 but I do like the concept. A lot of the creeks I fish are a pluff mud bottom and a stake out pole doesn;t help much but whe I get out on the sounds they are the ticket. I am sick of the mushoom anchor I have now so I think I will go the dog leash and barbell with the PVC SOP and call it a day :wink:
"Paddle Faster boys... I hear banjo music..."
Tarpon 160os
SC Chapter Coordinator- Heroes on the Water
www.heroesonthewater.org
Chief1600

Post by Chief1600 »

The wall thickness you need also depends on the size pipe. I used 3/4" sch 40 on my Marquesa because it fits the scupper holes, works great. Used 1/2" sch 40 on my son's Mojo (smaller scupper holes) and it kinked on the deeper flats. Found a piece of 80 and its fine. You can also stick a dowel up inside to stiffen it too, and it makes it float.
Jim - snooty elitist

"Of all pursuits mankind has devised to make you look stupid and uncoordinated, fly fishing is unquestionably number one." Jack Ohman, Fear of Fly Fishing
Dog Guide

Post by Dog Guide »

I did the same thing EXCEPT I squeezed some construction glue into the PVC and then inserted a wood dowel (forget the size but they have one that is a pretty snug fit), glued a "T" on top and cut a piece of swim noodle to fit in it so it floats. Ran a long "eye" bolt through the "T", the PVC and dowel, glued a nut on the other side and tied a 5' rope off to it with a large clip on the other end to clip off to the belt.

Painted it camo color and then cut the 45 deg angle at the bottom. Made 3 at once so I could give 2 to a couple buddies and they haven't quit raving about it yet.

total cost for 3= $11
J.P. FROG

Post by J.P. FROG »

I pretty much did the same as "Dog Guide" but put a little "hydraulic cement" in the end after cutting a 45 degree taper on the pointy end (to keep from filling with mud when pushing in the ground).
Gary

[i]He who looks outside dreams. He who looks within awakens.[/i]
seeinred

Post by seeinred »

Dog Guide wrote:I did the same thing EXCEPT I squeezed some construction glue into the PVC and then inserted a wood dowel (forget the size but they have one that is a pretty snug fit), glued a "T" on top and cut a piece of swim noodle to fit in it so it floats. Ran a long "eye" bolt through the "T", the PVC and dowel, glued a nut on the other side and tied a 5' rope off to it with a large clip on the other end to clip off to the belt.

Painted it camo color and then cut the 45 deg angle at the bottom. Made 3 at once so I could give 2 to a couple buddies and they haven't quit raving about it yet.

total cost for 3= $11

No need to do that with the schedule80 PVC, I did the same thing and didn't like it, IMO sched80 is much better.

Spencer
Dog Guide

Post by Dog Guide »

J.P. FROG wrote:I pretty much did the same as "Dog Guide" but put a little "hydraulic cement" in the end after cutting a 45 degree taper on the pointy end (to keep from filling with mud when pushing in the ground).
I forgot to mention that, I tapped the dowel about an inch up into the PVC and then filled the end with a hard epoxy for the same reason.
Heywood

Post by Heywood »

Here's another idea:

All items can be found at Home Depot.

3/4" schd 40. (Thin wall, has the red letters on it for drinking water)
Push Broom handle with the metal threaded portion on the bottom.
(Find the right one, it should fit up inside the pvc snuggly, do not force it as it will get stuck and never come out, plus if you do get it to go up inside it will cause the pvc to swell)
Get a "T" and some end caps.
Cut the bottom at a 45 degree angle.
Add a 1" x 1/4" x 20 SS bolt on the top for your camera to mount on.

This will float and is super strong, much stronger than just a piece of pvc, plus it doesnt cost much to make. I've made several for forum members.
"Anytime I shag a buddies wife I always cut the lawn when I'm done " ~ The Leg End ~
seeinred

Post by seeinred »

If you want it to float you can just shove a piece of pool noodle down it.

Spencer
mudfish

Post by mudfish »

Probably a dumb question but wouldn't a floating stake-out pole make it more difficult to keep underwater in the mud? Besides, if you keep it tethered why even bother?
-Cisco-

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

- Eleanor Roosevelt -