New Design for 2008 Part 2

noles

New Design for 2008 Part 2

Post by noles »

After reading a great article on the Vibronic rod (originally designed by Steve Gardner); I had to build one. The principle behind the Vibronic rod is that by eliminating certain components from the rod, you essentially make the rod as light as possible; therefore you increase the sensitive of the rod. The rod utilizes a Tennessee handle style grip & micro guides (4 mm and smaller) for running guides. I couldn't get my hands on the micro guides so I used a 6 mm Fuji alconites. Anyway here are some pictures:

Can you guess what components I left out?

Why is the rod blank off-center from the grip you ask? By off setting the grip ; the rod blank will be in direct contact with your palm. Which is more sensitive than your fingers. Don't believe me? Run a finger across your palm then do the same with the fingers.

I think I may have found a design that will allow me to build the lightest possible rod. This rod weighed in at 3.5 oz. That's awesome. I think I can eliminate more weight by using a different blank (this one was a Lamiglass XMG) and using the micro guides. My lightest rod prior to this one were my CTS rods; which weighed in a 4.30 oz and 4.60 oz. respectively. Just for giggles I wieghed Nei's Calico Jack and Mako's Dogfish Stick. The Calico Jack weighed 5.50 oz and the Dogfish weighed 5.60 oz.

Next up is field testing both rods. Any volunteers?
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

No offense Noles, but that rod is ugly and I have to look good when I fish. :wink:

Interesting thought about the offset.
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
mudfish

Post by mudfish »

Luv the matte black finish Noles. ...stealth. 8)
-Cisco-

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

- Eleanor Roosevelt -
dunfly

Post by dunfly »

I tried the feel test, but since have almost no feeling in my fingers, I couldn't tell the difference. Maybe in a month or so.

Very interesting rods. I'm not sure the 1 oz. difference makes up for the severe case of ugly though. :wink:
“You don’t ever want a crisis to go to waste....” — Rahm Emanuel
"Freedom!" - Sir William Wallace
Who is John Galt?
JoeS

Post by JoeS »

Noles.......Field Test I am Game!!!!It's ugly but I am willing to try one out it is all about the weight.....
"I want to help the helpless, but I don't give a damn about the clueless anymore!
yohan1973

Post by yohan1973 »

Todd wrote:I have to look good when I fish. :wink:
Cover your face with your buff then! lol
Stanley Steemer, carpet cleaner.