epoxy or not to epoxy...

AirForceResDano

epoxy or not to epoxy...

Post by AirForceResDano »

the whole rod? i usually do the whole rod, but what about just the eyes? see this a lot and wonder whats the diff of doing the whole rod vs. just the eye? i'm about to finish another rod so want some advice

thanks
dunfly

Post by dunfly »

I'm not sure if I understand the question. Do you coat the whole rod in epoxy or just the wraps? I'm not sure what you mean by epoxying just the eyes (sic), since you don't epoxy the eyes, just the wraps that hold them on.
“You don’t ever want a crisis to go to waste....” — Rahm Emanuel
"Freedom!" - Sir William Wallace
Who is John Galt?
AirForceResDano

dunfly wrote:I'm not sure if I understand the question. Do you coat the whole rod in epoxy or just the wraps? I'm not sure what you mean by epoxying just the eyes (sic), since you don't epoxy the eyes, just the wraps that hold them on.
yes by eyes i meant wraps that secure the eyes
Gramps

Post by Gramps »

I only do the wraps. I've heard of using Permagloss to coat the entire rod, but have no idea on how to properly do it.
-Scott

And across from the bar there's a pile of beer cans
Been there twenty-seven years
Imagine all the heart aches and tears
In twenty-seven years of beer
noles

Post by noles »

Unless you buy an unfinished blank or rebuilding an old rod there's no need to apply finish on the entire rod. Most blanks you buy will have a finish on it.

If you find it necessary to apply a finish to the blank use Permagloss. Here's how I have done it when I refinish an older rod that someone wants to refurbish. Take a short piece of 2x4 and drill a hole about he same size as the diameter as the butt section of the blank. Stick the blank (completely stripped) into the hole, now your ready to apply Permagloss. With gloves on soak a piece of white coffee filter with Permagloss and apply to blank. Start from the tip and work down to the butt section in one motion. You want to apply a thin coat so you don't have runs. Let it dry and then add another coat. If the finish is not smooth, take 600 or more grit wet/sandpaper and sand it down a little. Apply you're third coat and the blank is ready for the guides, reelseat, and grips.
AirForceResDano

even though teh blanks arent glossy, they have finish on them?
noles

Post by noles »

what blank are you building on?
AirForceResDano

noles wrote:what blank are you building on?
i've built a st croix, a couple of gatorglass, and right now a shikari blank
mudfish

Post by mudfish »

noles wrote:...Here's how I have done it when I refinish an older rod that someone wants to refurbish. Take a short piece of 2x4 and drill a hole about he same size as the diameter as the butt section of the blank. Stick the blank (completely stripped) into the hole, now your ready to apply Permagloss. With gloves on soak a piece of white coffee filter with Permagloss and apply to blank. Start from the tip and work down to the butt section in one motion. You want to apply a thin coat so you don't have runs. Let it dry and then add another coat. If the finish is not smooth, take 600 or more grit wet/sandpaper and sand it down a little. Apply you're third coat and the blank is ready for the guides, reelseat, and grips.
Glad my girlfriend isn't reading this risque stuff. :oops:

Stay Away From My Patio Table!
-Cisco-

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

- Eleanor Roosevelt -
dunfly

Post by dunfly »

AirForceResDano wrote:
noles wrote:what blank are you building on?
i've built a st croix, a couple of gatorglass, and right now a shikari blank
None of those blanks require a "finish" coat. You are just adding weight to the rod.
“You don’t ever want a crisis to go to waste....” — Rahm Emanuel
"Freedom!" - Sir William Wallace
Who is John Galt?