Just Starting Out

mlamarca
Location: Apollo Beach, FL or Philadelphia, PA or Luanda, Angola

Just Starting Out

Post by mlamarca »

So, I have been looking around for a while, and finally decided to try to build my own spinning rod.
I went to the Mud Hole website, picked the basic 7' Heavy Spinning kit, and also their wrapping kit. Hopefully I can put this thing together, and turn it into a usable rod.
I really want to get into a more "custom" rod, but I think using the cheaper kits to start with (learn and practice) is going to a good way to not waste a lot of money on mistakes, because I know mistakes will happen.

Any advice on where the biggest pitfalls are would be greatly appreciated.
Can I retire yet?
LivelyBaits

Post by LivelyBaits »

The best advice I could give you is to watch someone build one first.

My friend Brian taught me some tricks and after I butchered my first one, I had him do one with me watching. It solved a lot of those "pitfall" situations when I went back to doing it myself. I'm still a hack, that's why I have Noles build my rods for me. :lol:

Custom wraps are so easy now. Instead of using individual strand for multi colored designs, they sell them in ready to lay on tapes of thread.

Good luck on your first rod.
pee-dash-eff, "Desperate. H.W"
fish4life

rod building

Post by fish4life »

Welcome to the world of custom rod building. I've been building rod for a short time now and love it. I travel to st pete once a week for one on one help from rod builders that have been building for over 15 years.

feel free to email me ifyou have questions I can help you with.

[email protected]
New at Kayaking - and loving it. I have another reason to buy new tackle.