lost one of our own

Redfisher

lost one of our own

Post by Redfisher »

:(

Kayaker Dies in St. Johns County
From the FWC

A 59-year-old Gainesville man died while kayaking on the Intracoastal Waterway (ICW) in St. Johns County sometime last night or early this morning. The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) is investigating the accident.

Francis A. Stephenson (DOB 4/11/49), of 8401 NW 13th St., left the canal behind his brother’s house just north of the State Road 206 bridge in St. Augustine about 6 p.m., Wednesday, in his kayak. According to his brother, Brian Stephenson, his intent was to go to the mouth of the canal and fish along the ICW.

When Stephenson didn’t return by 6 a.m., his brother began searching for him in the ICW. By around 11:30 a.m., when he still hadn’t found his brother, Brian Stephenson’s wife called the U.S. Coast Guard and reported him missing.

The Coast Guard notified the FWC around 1:40 p.m., Thursday, of the situation and several agencies began an all-out search for Stephenson. Helicopters from the FWC and Coast Guard took to the air, while FWC and St. Augustine Police Department boats took to the water.

At around 2:30 p.m., spotters in the Coast Guard helicopter found the kayak capsized on the oyster flats at the entrance to Moses Creek, just north of the SR 206 bridge. Stephenson’s body was found sitting in the seat of the kayak with the skirt still attached to the seating compartment. He was wearing his life jacket and had all required safety equipment on board.

“Mr. Stephenson appeared to be extremely safety-conscious, and an experienced kayaker who had more than the required safety equipment on board,” said Lt. Steve Zukowsky, FWC’s law enforcement lieutenant for coastal St. Johns County. “However, there were strong winds, a flood tide and the water was very rough and choppy when he reportedly went kayaking last night.”

The medical examiner will perform an autopsy to determine the cause of death.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club
MarkM
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by MarkM »

I could think of worse ways to go. I'm sure he died happy....
bluebill

Lost fellow paddler

Post by bluebill »

That is a sad end for Mr Stephenson.

It sounds like he got trapped in the seating well of a sit-inside type of kayak.

I would like to know the results of the autopsy to see if cause of death was drowning.
Be thankful for every day and especially those fine days on the water
mudfish

Post by mudfish »

That's messed up. Should have had an SOT.

RIP
-Cisco-

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

- Eleanor Roosevelt -
srsfsu

Post by srsfsu »

I've never understood how you could comfortably fish out of a sit in kayak especially wearing a spray skirt.
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

Very sad.

What I found weird was his brother left at 6 PM and he did not start looking for him until 6 AM the next day. If my brother left at 6 PM and was not back at a reasonable hour I would have started looking for him a lot earlier than 12 hours later.

Not Rik, of course, but my other brothers. :lol:
justabucup

Re: Lost fellow paddler

Post by justabucup »

bluebill wrote:That is a sad end for Mr Stephenson.

It sounds like he got trapped in the seating well of a sit-inside type of kayak.

I would like to know the results of the autopsy to see if cause of death was drowning.
Or

At 59 years old exerting himself in a chop and wind he could have just as easily had a heart attack and lost the balance of his boat.

Or

He could have made a conscience decision to go out for one last paddle because of a health reason. How many of us have not thought of a "good way to go" would be to go out for one last paddle?

All are conjecture and I am sure his family would better served to celebrate his life rather then to mourn his death.
Credo quia absurdum
Redfishn'Ale

Post by Redfishn'Ale »

i would imagine he had a heart attack and then flipped...i don't know what sensible kayaker would be be wearing a skirt without a) being able to "pop out" without a problem b) good re-entry technique c) a well practiced roll isn't even needed if you you have a solid A & B, its a damn shame
shamus
The Beaver Tickler

Post by shamus »

Not Rik, of course, but my other brothers.

roach hockey !!!
0 0 1
Rik

Post by Rik »

Glad to see you posting, Shamus, I was beginning to worry......a bit
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
FlaPaddleFish

Post by FlaPaddleFish »

Prayers out to his family. one thing they didn't mention in the article - the weather was terrible that day. The wind was too much for any type of fishing especially for a kayak. I fish in that area often and I know the waters pretty well and you don't want to be out there in bad weather.

Let this remind us that we've got to keep it safe.
Hobie Outback S.U.V.