Capt. Dick's Stake out Pole

chewbaka1973

Capt. Dick's Stake out Pole

Post by chewbaka1973 »

SO i wanted to ask this very knowledgeable forum who uses a Capt dick's stake out pole? I recently aquired on but am having trouble using it in sandy bottom. :?:
I had made one out of PVC with a metal tip and never had much problems with it stickin.
Anyone have any advice?
Chewy
Use the force and your drag.........
Tight Lines!

2008 Hobie Revolution Mirage( Hobie-Wan Kenobi )
Native Ultimate 14.5 Tandem Olive
Mark R

Post by Mark R »

What kind of trouble?
"Likes smokey old pool rooms N clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
chewbaka1973

Post by chewbaka1973 »

tropview wrote:What kind of trouble?
well i couldnt get the pole to stick in sandy bottom. I dont want to beat on it with a rubber mallet to get it to stick. i was bettween grass flats and sand, neither worked very well.
Chewy
Tight Lines!

fishpirate

Post by fishpirate »

For the price they want for those things, it should go thru the oyster bars. Sorry for your luck. My flounder gig from Wal- Mart works great. Price $4.00
apaulos

Post by apaulos »

The Capt Dick's pole is worthless in hard sand and shell. It just too thick!

Waste-O-Money.

Save it for muddy or loose sand bottoms and use an anchor for hard sand and shell.
Trootin

Post by Trootin »

Jerkbait wrote:The Capt Dick's pole is worthless in hard sand and shell. It just too thick!

Waste-O-Money.
Mine works fine, are you sticking it through the scuppers??
Team Young & Good Looking
JoeS

Post by JoeS »

Jerkbait wrote:The Capt Dick's pole is worthless in hard sand and shell. It just too thick!

Waste-O-Money.

Save it for muddy or loose sand bottoms and use an anchor for hard sand and shell.
I agree with Paul.....I have had one about 2 yrs always hard to stick in anything but muck or soft sand........I went to the golf store and got 2 old graphite driver shafts that were scrap stuck them together......made a perfect 5' SOP.......
"I want to help the helpless, but I don't give a damn about the clueless anymore!
chewbaka1973

Post by chewbaka1973 »

Trootin wrote:

Waste-O-Money.
Mine works fine, are you sticking it through the scuppers??
well no, im tying it off right now. i plan on installing a anchor trolley soon. i was just a little disappointed after buying, although i did get it a good price
Chewy
Tight Lines!

chewbaka1973

Post by chewbaka1973 »

JoeS wrote:

Waste-O-Money.

I agree with Paul.....I have had one about 2 yrs always hard to stick in anything but muck or soft sand........I went to the golf store and got 2 old graphite driver shafts that were scrap stuck them together......made a perfect 5' SOP.......
good info, thanks guys
Chewy
Tight Lines!

Redfisher

Post by Redfisher »

If you put it through the scuppers it should hold just about anywhere.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club
chewbaka1973

Post by chewbaka1973 »

redfisher wrote:If you put it through the scuppers it should hold just about anywhere.
i might try that. only problem is i have a Hobie mirage drive so the only scupper holes are behind the sea and not so easy to get too
Chewy
Tight Lines!

J.P. FROG

Post by J.P. FROG »

chewbaka1973 wrote:
redfisher wrote:If you put it through the scuppers it should hold just about anywhere.
i might try that. only problem is i have a Hobie mirage drive so the only scupper holes are behind the sea and not so easy to get too
I leave mine in the scupper hole the whole time I'm out fishing. Rig it up something like this

and just reach over your shoulder whenever you want to set it or lift it up when you are ready to move on. The bungies will keep it in place ready to be deployed the next time you need it.
Gary

[i]He who looks outside dreams. He who looks within awakens.[/i]
Norm
Supporter 2007 - 2014
Supporter 2007 - 2014

http://paddle-fishing-forum.com/viewtopic.php?t=26001&st

Post by Norm »

Gary, your stake out pole is PVC, Im not sure you can do that with a Capt. Dick pole.
Obama just traded 5 Mercedes for a Slinky ....Greg Gutfeld
BearGoneFishin

Post by BearGoneFishin »

Capt Dicks are the best stakeout poles made. I bought one after I bought my kayak. It has held my kayak in place without any kind of movement. It is stable and heavy. I highly recommend it.
mauso1
Supporter 2007 - 2013

Post by mauso1 »

I sold the one ( capt dick ) that I had for the same reasons above stated.

I found that an angled cut pvc one would work just as well (still not good for hard pack ) but I also just deploy the anchor. I rarely ever use a stake out now.

I think the thickness might have had something to do with it.
Sorry for the bad review but just a fact.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club
Rik

Post by Rik »

My $15 fiberglass pool cue works just fine. I could have gone with the $9 model but the $15 model has flames on it to match my paddle........
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley