looking for input before getting my new kayak

If you use one that is listed, please add a review. If a kayak or canoe that you would like to give a review of is not listed, please add it. This is also where you can show off your boat.
tackleman

looking for input before getting my new kayak

Post by tackleman »

i am looking at getting a new kayak here in a week or so, i am not sure what one i should get, so any input would be great from your experience. i am looking at the malibu X factor or the emotion grand_slam_angler i can get both for the same price, and they are both the same length so...... in your opinion what one is the better of the two :?:
Capt. Adrian Englert
http://www.mytimecharters.com
Native Slayer Propel 13
perception tribute 14.0
Native Slayer Propel 13
Native Slayer Propel 13
Redfisher

Post by Redfisher »

I can tell you that the Grand Slam is going to be easier to paddle and much quieter than the X-factor. The GS is very stable but the X should be slightly more so but it will be heavier.
Both are great boats but you will probably like the way the GS paddles better.
I bought the Grand Slam because I love my Redfish and the GS was like an improved Redfish with some added features that I really wanted. i love the hatch in front of the seat and the front hatch will fit my cart and you can also fit rods inside. This is my biggest complaint with the Redfish. Not much fits in that dang hatch. I was happy when the cart fit in but then I realized that the tires were flat. With inflated tires they wouldn't go.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club
wilfish

Post by wilfish »

Redfish, I don't know what type of cart you have, but with mine I have to take the wheels off my cart to put inside the front hatch and thats for the GS. Most of the time I use a small bunge cord and strap it to very back of the handle of the kayak. Its out of the way. Tackleman , Like redfish said both are good kayaks GS is a little faster and easier to paddle .Paul from Masthead could help you on this . He knows both kayaks.
Don't steal... The Government does not like the competition
tackleman

Post by tackleman »

thank you for the info. i am on the "big" side (250, 5'10") so this is another thing i have to take in when looking between the two.
Capt. Adrian Englert
Native Slayer Propel 13
perception tribute 14.0
Native Slayer Propel 13
Native Slayer Propel 13
JayB
Founder's Club

Post by JayB »

There are small boats for big guys. I am 6'4" and at the time I bought my Manta Ray 12, I was 260. A good chine gives the boat plenty of float.
The cockpit is as roomy as some 16 foot boats.

It is easy to handle and does alright in the speed depart. Not great but you can't have everything.

Bottom Line

Listen to what everyone tells you. But remember, they are recommending a boat that they probably own.

Test as many as you can. Find the one that fits your style and the waters you paddle.

J
Stereotactic radiation saved my life.

I may not be an angel, but I had a halo.
Tide1on

Post by Tide1on »

:arrow: WARRANTY

Steve
NATIVE Redfish14
Your Wallet - The one place Democrats are willing to drill

Steve
Redfisher

Post by Redfisher »

I only commented on the two because they are what he mentioned.
Like Jay said you aren't limited to the Malibu kayaks and the BigGame because you are a big guy. I am bigger than you(for now) and I have a Redfish and the Emotion Grand Slam. There are others that will work but you have picked a couple nice ones.
What did you find the Grand Slam for? I got mine with the angler package for $750 brand new.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club
Redfisher

Post by Redfisher »

Tide1on wrote::arrow: WARRANTY

Steve
This helped in my decision to buy the Emotion. The customer service that others here got made me feel good. :D
tackleman

Post by tackleman »

the grand slam angler i am looking at is a left over from 08 and comes with the paddle, fishing pfd, cart, and high back seat for 950.00
Capt. Adrian Englert
Native Slayer Propel 13
perception tribute 14.0
Native Slayer Propel 13
Native Slayer Propel 13
wilfish

Post by wilfish »

tackleman wrote:the grand slam angler i am looking at is a left over from 08 and comes with the paddle, fishing pfd, cart, and high back seat for 950.00
Thats not too bad of a deal for everything . What color is the kayak ?
rsieminski

Post by rsieminski »

The Cobra FnD is awesome too. I have a couple of X's, but beforehand I tested everything from Tarpons, to Redfish, to Hobies. My thoughts were I want stability for my 240#s, cargo capacity and space for camping gear sometimes, enough rocker for the open ocean, easy enough to paddle... This is the way I ranked them: X, FnD, Redfish 14, Big Game, Any Tarpon. If you are athletic, the X is awesome, but if you are 260# of jello, then an easier, less stable kayak like the Redfish might be a better choice. For me, the Big Game was slow, that without a rudder could not go straight. The capacity and storage was almost as good as the X, but required more input. The FnD, for me, was almost as good as the X. I will get one someday as a second kayak.

I never tried the Grand Slam, sorry to say. Maybe that would have been a better choice. Paddle as many as possible, and imagine while your in it, if it'll work for you in your fishing situations/locations. Take time to make your decision. Look around for new, but used kayaks, from others who made a hasty decision.
tackleman

Post by tackleman »

one is sand and the other is stone in color
Capt. Adrian Englert
Native Slayer Propel 13
perception tribute 14.0
Native Slayer Propel 13
Native Slayer Propel 13
Chief1600

Post by Chief1600 »

I have a Marquesa which I really like, my son has an Emotion Mojo. When I buy my next boat it'll very likely be a Grand Slam based on the difference in customer service between Heritage and Emotion, can't comment on the service from Malibu, I know a lot of people really like their boats
Jim - snooty elitist

"Of all pursuits mankind has devised to make you look stupid and uncoordinated, fly fishing is unquestionably number one." Jack Ohman, Fear of Fly Fishing
pag_yaker

Post by pag_yaker »

One thing I did that made my Grand Slam a lot friendlier cost me a dollar. Yup ... bought a basket at Dollar Tree, hacked it a bit and stuffed it in the hatch. Perfect for holding a camera, dry bag, small sure box, etc.

Jerry White
Contributing author for Paddling.net since 2005
Contributing author for Florida Sportsman Magazine
Member - Florida Outdoor Writers Association
mudfish

Post by mudfish »

You can fit one of these bitches in there easy...
Thanks for the image Rik. :wink:
-Cisco-

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

- Eleanor Roosevelt -
wilfish

Post by wilfish »

I like that .I need to do that with mine.