Reel seat question?

JoseC

Reel seat question?

Post by JoseC »

What is the most comfortable reel seat out of the ergonomic reelseat designs?
Jose C

Hobie Revolution
yohan1973

Post by yohan1973 »

Casting, or spinning?
For spinning on of the readily available seats is the aero seat.

http://www.mudhole.com/Shop-Our-Catalog ... -Reel-Seat

I have built a few rods using it. Once again, Japan has some stuff available over there that blows the socks off our supply. If you ask me the best stuff is from Fujii....but it's stuff that isn't available to us builders. This is the last spinning rod I finished.

This reelseat is not available in the U.S.
This one was salvaged from a fujii rod.
Stanley Steemer, carpet cleaner.
noles

Post by noles »

yohan1973

Post by yohan1973 »

Noles, are you still making those carbon seats? How are they doing? Had any big fish on them? I've always wanted to try a rod with a really simple real seat but always worried that I'd have issues with trying to make sure I could hold the reel to the seat since it's not really mechanically fastened. Have you used carbon to mold any ergonomic shapes?

P.S.
JoseC, do a search for a company named Matagi.
You should find some info
Here is the first link I found just as I recalled the company name:
http://www.matagi.co.jp/english/
noles

Post by noles »

yohan1973 wrote:Noles, are you still making those carbon seats? How are they doing? Had any big fish on them? I've always wanted to try a rod with a really simple real seat but always worried that I'd have issues with trying to make sure I could hold the reel to the seat since it's not really mechanically fastened. Have you used carbon to mold any ergonomic shapes?

P.S.
JoseC, do a search for a company named Matagi.
You should find some info
Here is the first link I found just as I recalled the company name:
http://www.matagi.co.jp/english/
They hold up probably better than a cork grip. Largest fish caught on that rod was a 37" snook, so it does handle a good size fish. As you can tell from the picture, the reel is actually wrapped on the tubing, just like a guide and finish is applied on top. Haven't mold any ergonomic grip, YET.
yohan1973

Post by yohan1973 »

noles wrote:As you can tell from the picture, the reel is actually wrapped on the tubing, just like a guide and finish is applied on top. Haven't mold any ergonomic grip, YET.
Noles, that is what I was referring to with my previous comment.
My concern was not Cork vs Carbon. It was "wrapped foot" vs metal reel seat.
Thanks for the clarification. So you epoxied/wrapped your reel to your carbon grip. It's hard to tell from the picture but I thought that was black electrical tape. That's why I made that comment. Well, Now that I know, I don't doubt that it is a strong connection. However, Since I ain't "big pimping" like You I like to move my reels from rod to rod. So that wouldn't work for me but it's good to see that it works perfectly for you.

Hey, one more question. Did you use carbon sleeves and sheets or multiple layers of sleeves?