Ocean Kayaks

RonC

Ocean Kayaks

Post by RonC »

I dont see them mentioned a lot here compared to other brands.
Any reason?

I am new to the Tampa Bay area, and I am trying to pick my first real fishing kayak. I have been studying the reviews and opinions so that I can pick a few out to do some test paddling. But I do value the info on this board probably more than my impressions after a quick paddle in a certain kayak.
CB

Post by CB »

I have a Prowler 13, I love it , no problems with it and it paddles well.
Watching the years go by like weekends out of the corner of my eye.
Tree-Bone

Post by Tree-Bone »

Ocean kayak makes very good products. I have had 3 and never a problem.
See Kim at Ospry Bay Outdoors, clearwater.
link : http://www.ospreybay.com/
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

To each their own, you are making a wise decision on getting other opinions and test paddling. I know several who paddle prowler 13's and love them, I had one for a few months and hated it. They do make a nice kayak but it just did not suit me.
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
dunfly

Post by dunfly »

Ocean Kayak is a very popular brand around here. I'm suprised you haven't run across many references. I have two Prowler 15's, which has one of the best combinations of speed, stability and tracking of any kayak on the market. OK also makes the Scupper Pro TW (one of the first tank well fishing kayaks), the Drifter (fat but very stable), Big Game (aircraft carrier), Scrambler (less expensive recreational kayak), Caper (small but capable), Venus (especially for women, it even comes in pink),
Prowler 13 (nice all around fishing kayak), and the new Trident series including the 11, 13 and 15 (replacement series for the Powlers).

Traditionally the Ocean Kayaks have been lighter than their counterparts, but included built in foot wells, which you either love and/or hate. The newer models have the more common flat footwells, but are a little heavier.
“You don’t ever want a crisis to go to waste....” — Rahm Emanuel
"Freedom!" - Sir William Wallace
Who is John Galt?
Rik

Post by Rik »

You won't often read anyone calling their kayak by the brand name. More typically they will use the model name.

Prowler, Drifter, Scrambler, Scupper Pro (among others) are all Ocean Kayak model names.

Tarpon and Ride (among others) are Wilderness Systems

Redfish and Featherlite (among others) are Heritage Kayaks

Ultimate, Magic, Manta Ray (among others) are native Watercraft.

yeah, I know, there are others.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
krash
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by krash »

Rik wrote:You won't often read anyone calling their kayak by the brand name. More typically they will use the model name.

Prowler, Drifter, Scrambler, Scupper Pro (among others) are all Ocean Kayak model names.
and the Trident 11, 13, 15's are rather popular as well.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

SW, Live to Fish, Have Tackle will travel ... >,)))~> ~~~~
Rik

Post by Rik »

True, krash, but the model name is Prowler Trident and, from what I've seen, most just call them a Prowler. But, yes, Trident is an Ocean Kayak model name one might read.

That is also one of the reason for the 'among others' I added.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
BlueCrab

Post by BlueCrab »

Rik wrote:You won't often read anyone calling their kayak by the brand name. More typically they will use the model name.

Tarpon and Ride (among others) are Wilderness Systems

Redfish and Featherlite (among others) are Heritage Kayaks

Ultimate, Magic, Manta Ray (among others) are native Watercraft.

yeah, I know, there are others.
All are "real fishing kayaks". All you have to do is find one that meets most of your needs, because none of them is perfect for every possible fishing situation.
Old School T160

Marion Jay "JayB" Brewington
July 26, 1949 - April 16, 2009
Redfisher

Post by Redfisher »

You know,if you think about it,Ocean Kayak kayaks seem to get less complaints of problems than any of the others.
I had 3 and they were great boats.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club
ratherbefishin

Post by ratherbefishin »

When I was selecting a kayak, I paid a great deal of attention to opinions on this site and I noted some had problems with hull cracks, scupper hole leaks, etc. but OK was rarely, if ever mentioned. I wound up with a Prowler 13 because it was lighter than many I looked at and it paddled well, was as stable as I need it to be and the price was right at Canoe Country. They treated me well and I have never regretted buying the P13. Best bet, try what you like and pick the one that best suits you, not anyone else.

Having said all that, there may be a Native Ultimate in my future.
Curt

Well, hell, SOMEBODY has to catch lizardfish.
FrankC

Post by FrankC »

If you can paddle some of the various makes and models, you will find what suits your needs best.

We have a P13, Drifter, Big Game, and Malibu ll XL. The P13 is my wife's, and she thouroughly enjoys it. I started with the Drifter and then got a Big Game for the storage. The Malibu is for the grandchildren, and quite frankly, it is a joy with two on board. We have not had any problems with any of them.

The molded in foot braces just take adjusting your seat position fore or aft to the right place so that they are comfortable. They are much sturdier than foot pegs or braces.

The new Tridents look very nice.
bassboy

Post by bassboy »

i enjoy the prowler it suits me just fine i think it is the right size for me. i think fo me it is very easy to menoover as far as turning it takes choppy weather very well. i dont know why some people dont like it maybe there to short and there feet cant reach the foot molding i dont know but like i said for me i think its just right it is well balanced especially when i stand up in it. good luck
CooKnFish

Post by CooKnFish »

I'm not a fan of OK designs at all but I've always said "any boat that floats..."
Paddles - they aren't just for the bedroom anymore.

~Mark~
SpoonThrower

Post by SpoonThrower »

I got the prowler 13 in wheat color last August and I am very happy with mine. Not too long and not too short. I like the weight also, I am getting older and the redfish and tarpons are much heavier for me and my back.
I will also say like the others, just adjust the seat to accomadate the foot wells. Plenty stable, fast,lots of storage, and glides like a dream for me.
I have no regrets at all. 8)

Good day to everyone.
apx255

Post by apx255 »

I have 2. A P-15 and Scupper Pro TW...I love both of them...I would recommend OK.