Would you and/or Have you ever hired a guide......

finatic
PFTS SPONSOR
PFTS SPONSOR

Would you and/or Have you ever hired a guide......

Post by finatic »

....to learn your own waters?

In my opinion I feel it is unethical to hire a guide to fish your own local waters to learn fishing spots. It just seems wrong to hire a guide who puts in the time to learn and know areas and then turn around and go to the spots that person worked for.
So....what do you think?
:?:
The artist formally known as Snookfinatic

finaticdesigns.com
Vlap

Post by Vlap »

If a person makes clear his or her intent to better learn the waters they hire a guide to take them to I see no problem.
"It's always an adventure! " Cooknfish.
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Re: Would you and/or Have you ever hired a guide......

Post by Todd »

Snookfinatic wrote:....to learn your own waters?

In my opinion I feel it is unethical to hire a guide to fish your own local waters to learn fishing spots. It just seems wrong to hire a guide who puts in the time to learn and know areas and then turn around and go to the spots that person worked for.
So....what do you think?
Unethical, that is a stretch. Guides need to learn that they don't own the water or certain spots just because they put the time in. If a paying customer shows up in the area or that spot well then they should not have shown it to someone in the first place if they do not want it over run.
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
MrSpectaculous

Post by MrSpectaculous »

The only justification to return to a spot you were shown is if you paid money for it. (Does a prostitute expect you to never have sex on that street again?)

If a non paid fishing buddy shows you then it's off limits till your buddy dies or invites you again.

Thats why I would never fish with a guide in my home area....They would expect you to stay away for life and if you did not they might flame you on the internet.
Last edited by MrSpectaculous on Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I think I can dance.
Bill
Ultimate 14.5
Purple Emotion GS
BlueCrab

Post by BlueCrab »

I don't think "unethical" is the right word: "stupid" is.

If I tell a guide I live a stone's throw away from Double Branch, and
the guide takes me to his favorite honey holes there, and
I frequent those spots until the fish get lock-jaw,
we would both have to deal with the consequences of both of our actions.

IMHO, it's not a question of ethics, if anything it would be an agreement prior to service.

Any agreement on artificial rules are totally up to the person(s) that have to deal with the consequences of "violating" said rules because in the bigger scheme, even though we would both be crying in our beer, all those thousands of folks driving by us on the Courtney-Campbell could give a rat's ass about our fish with lock-jaw.
Last edited by BlueCrab on Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Old School T160

Marion Jay "JayB" Brewington
July 26, 1949 - April 16, 2009
GO-Fish

Post by GO-Fish »

I would expect that if a "local" was hiring a guide it would be because:

a) they don't own their own kayak and want to experience kayak fishing or
b) They want to learn something, be it waters, technique, rigging, how to be a better paddler, how to be a better fisherman, etc.

Flip the tables;

Would a professional guide turn down a paying trip if the person was a local and if not would it be a different "trip" than if it was someone from out of the area?

I have heard it before, "there are not secret spots" and if you did have one why would you take a "local" or anyone for that matter there, if you suspected that they were going to fish it out of fish.

As a guide there could be any number of places you could take someone and they would still have a good day of fishing. Fish move and conditions change, the customer is paying good money for your expertise based on the conditions of that day.
265 (9/27 - 235) ----> 230 - 220?
finatic
PFTS SPONSOR
PFTS SPONSOR

Post by finatic »

GO-Fish wrote: Fish move and conditions change, the customer is paying good money for your expertise based on the conditions of that day.
YES!
Let's say you were put on to conditions and fish one day from a hired guide is it "ethical" "right" or what ever word you want to use to go the very next day to the same spot to repeat the conditions?

finaticdesigns.com
Blindmullet

Post by Blindmullet »

When I catch fish it is for entertainment. If I pay for a "guide" they are there to aid in my entertainment. If I ask them to put on a dress and fish my area, so be it. I'm paying for it. Nothing better then a hottie in a dress fishing.
Team Pro Bass "Fishing Legendz"
finatic
PFTS SPONSOR
PFTS SPONSOR

Post by finatic »

Blindmullet wrote: Nothing better then a hottie in a dress fishing.
Where do you find hot guides?

finaticdesigns.com
BearsFan
Egotistical Prick

Re: Would you and/or Have you ever hired a guide......

Post by BearsFan »

Snookfinatic wrote:....to learn your own waters?

So....what do you think?
Fine Jeff. I will send you that case of beer. Just get off of my back about it already.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"You think you have problems now? Follow your instincts, it will get worse" -Hatch
MrSpectaculous

Post by MrSpectaculous »

Snookfinatic wrote:
Blindmullet wrote: Nothing better then a hottie in a dress fishing.
Where do you find hot guides?
Speaking of hot guides....I once saw Niels van outside a seminar for "The Adventurous Women" and I put a note on his window that read...I think your Hot and left my number at the bottom....And you know what...He called me..boy was he suprised when I answered the phone...I commended him for his fearlessness.This is a true story. You gotta admit he is kinda hot! LOL

I think I can dance.
Bill
Ultimate 14.5
Purple Emotion GS
Rik

Post by Rik »

bedroom eyes?
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

Interesting question, I think to hire a guide to learn his posts to return back to them is unethical! You're hiring him for a days fishing, not a guide to fishing spots.

It is due to this happening, that some guides that I know will take people to certain "generic" places when they know their guest is a local.

As for the prostiute analogy, she'd be pissed if you paid once then expected kept banging her hole without ever paying again! :lol:
"If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree." - Michael Crichton
BlueCrab

Post by BlueCrab »

MrSpectaculous wrote: Image
That's no way to hold a trout. Just sayin'.
Old School T160

Marion Jay "JayB" Brewington
July 26, 1949 - April 16, 2009
justabucup

Post by justabucup »

To hire a guide to learn fishing spots not so good. I have gone out with many guides and a lot of the times they have taken me to places I have fished for years. I am asikng questions of them about patterns cycles and such. If they cannot answer your questions they are paid fishing buddies and not guides. A good guide is a teacher or mentor that you should learn what is in his or her head not the exs on his chart.

So going out with a local guide is a smart thing to do it will make you a better angler.
Credo quia absurdum
shamus
The Beaver Tickler

Post by shamus »

Yeah it's bit scummy to hire the guy just for his spots. However that spot was only good because of several factors that day. Tide, Moon, Bait ect. two days later there might not be a single thing in the area.

Do guides use some secret spots that haven't been written about in anyone of a number of Saltwater magazines.
Is it ethical for (some) guides to charge $450 for a half day in the Keys. Use almost an hour of your time catching bait -Gotta have fresh bait. Then sit under a bridge for the rest of the day telling you we have to just wait . Once the tide switches it'll turn on.
0 0 1