Mako's Kayak Fishing Report - Simmons Park August 27th, 2009

Flamingo to Big Bend
Mako

Mako's Kayak Fishing Report - Simmons Park August 27th, 2009

Post by Mako »

After Jose called me today to cancel our fishing trip for the second day in a row, and with the weather forecast announcing 70% chance for thunderstorms, I almost bailed out and stayed home. However, because I won't be able to fish this weekend, I figured that I would go anyways and give it a shot. Simmons Park, an old favorite of mine was the selected area because the low tide would hit bottom at around 3:30 and that would get me the opportunity to be in the water shortly before 3 and fish the incoming before the weather got rough.
First thing I noticed was the large amounts of bait that were all over the flats with the occasional blow ups of larger fish feeding. For a few minutes I couldn't tell what was feeding but the answer to my question came quickly when I hooked this little fellow and few more of the same size. Nothing big but a nice way to start my day at a place that I had not visited in a long, long time.

Also feeding on the flats were these other guys

As you can see from the photos, the 1/4 oz Johnson Silver spoon was the main lure used but I also threw some DOA shad tails with good results. For the next couple of hours I caught a few of these small fish until the tide brought a good flush of water on the flats and along with it a large school of redfish. The huge wake could be seen from a long distance and when it got close enough, I tossed a DOA shad tail right in front of them for an instant hook up. This fish was big and it took off as if it had seen the devil. After a short fight, it broke the leader off . 30 lbs but I noticed that there was some fray from the previous snook that I didn't fix. My bad. Immediately I put that rod away and grabbed the one rigged with the spoon and on the next cast, fish on. A nice fat 27 inch redfish.

After releasing this fish it was time to locate the school again. I did have to paddle fast, and quite a bit of distance until finally I found them. Funny thing though, this time the wake was from a school of large jacks and not redfish. Of course I didn't realize it until the fish got hooked and started swimming in circles. During the fight I kept an eye on 2 wakes that were going back and forth over the flats trying to determine which one was the reds and which one the jacks. At this time I had no interest in catching jacks but only reds. For the next hour or two, I paddled like crazy chasing these fish all over the place trying to catch as many as possible. The wake from the jacks fooled me a few times which resulted in 4 or 5 nice jacks being hooked. Still I was able to spot the reds several times and that helped me catch 7 fish. All these reds were fat, dark bronze color, and none measured less than 27 inches. The largest one I estimated to be about 29 inches long.

At around 6:30, the skies got dark and a few sprinkles began to fall so I decided that it was time to head back to the launch. I was so tired from the all the paddling and catching and releasing fish in a hurry, that I didn't really mind leaving a nice school of fish behind to be caught another day.
Peter
Wilderness Systems Tarpon 160
SILVER K

Post by SILVER K »

Hole jumper. :D
CowboysFan

Post by CowboysFan »

Been to Simmons park numerous times never had a day quite that good. Nice photos and fish peter
Rich

I'd rather be fishing right now.
Trootin

Post by Trootin »

Great lookin reds Peter!
Team Young & Good Looking
mudfish

Post by mudfish »

Great report Peter, awesome pics too! Those reds are some thick bassturds!
-Cisco-

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

- Eleanor Roosevelt -
jd

Post by jd »

Nice Peter.
I have trouble acting normal.
Norm
Supporter 2007 - 2014
Supporter 2007 - 2014

http://paddle-fishing-forum.com/viewtopic.php?t=29826&st

Post by Norm »

WTG :!: I knew some of these late afternoon tide changes had to be better than the calm full highs in the morning.
Obama just traded 5 Mercedes for a Slinky ....Greg Gutfeld
Vercetti

Post by Vercetti »

That's not simmons park....who are you trying to fool?
- Jon
Tide1on

Post by Tide1on »

That's Weedon Island! No Wilbur and you would've seen the bridge in the last picture if it wasn't for the weather conditions.
You're not getting one over on us that easy!!! Fish at EGSP :roll: :lol:
NATIVE Redfish14
Your Wallet - The one place Democrats are willing to drill

Steve
Redboner

Post by Redboner »

Nice report Mako, and nice pics too. I had almost the same kind of day on Friday up in the north part of the bay. There was whitebait everywhere and the fish were not missing that buffet. I caught 3 decent snook, and 8 slot redfish. I attributed it to the barometer moving due to the storms pushing in from the west. That coupled with the whitebait being everywhere. Oh and of course my trusty Capt. Mikes Gold spoon.
I am heading out to CRB in the morning with a couple of the guys on here I have not met yet. I have not been to CRB yet, but if the conditions are anything like Friday, it will be a great fishing day.
"Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers. Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary"
Patrick McManus
Wuluf

nice!

Post by Wuluf »

Looks like you are knocking the bottom out with a spoon. I am jealous! I have only been fly fishing in PA 3 or 4 times this summer.
Wuluf