Banyan Tree

mudfish

Banyan Tree

Post by mudfish »

I recall many years ago on the corner of Gandy Blvd and Bayshore there was a beautiful, huge mansion that's since been knocked down along with a most beautiful tree, the first Banyan Tree I've ever seen.

To think that the tree had been sacrificed for some hipster condo's still pizzes me off just thinking about it.

Anyhoo, after the last Goomba I was headed home driving up Pinellas Park Dr. when I noticed a familiar sight. to my left. I turned my car around and checked it out more closely to find my suspicions were right. It was a huge Banyan Tree in front of a church.

While I certainly hope the Gandy Banyan was relocated, it's refreshing to know these rare trees are surviving elsewhere.

I don't have a wide enough angle lens to capture the entire tree/group, but did take some shots to show others. Sorry for the sub-par quality pics.

Not sure just how "rare" these tree's actually are but to me, they are priceless.
Wish I had these up north to climb when I was a kid. :lol:
Last edited by mudfish on Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Cisco-

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

- Eleanor Roosevelt -
Rik

Post by Rik »

Down in Coconut Grove there is an area that has dozens of them. I hope they are still there, it's been some years since I played in them. Over many years, the residents have woven the hanging roots into pathways, sitting areas and swings. You can go up in the trees and 'walk' a couple blocks.

You could see where a few of the roots had been made into swings but eventually they grew too thick to swing.

I had a friend who lived for a short while (is the word crashpad still viable?) and we'd spend hours sitting up in the trees
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

Cisco-

Go by Crescent Lake Park in St Pete (22nd Ave N and 5th St), at the south end of the park they have a few big banyans that you can walk throug.
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
Tree-Bone

Post by Tree-Bone »

Your pics are far from "sub-par". Good representation of the trees.
mikeB
Supporter 2007 - 2014
Supporter 2007 - 2014

Post by mikeB »

Nice Pictures. They reminded me of this tree on the grounds of the Edison estate in Ft. Myers. I believe the plaque noted this as the largest specimen in FL.

Hatch

Post by Hatch »

Great pictures, Cisco! I, too, think banyan trees are very cool and the Edison Estate is my favorite tourist spot in Florida. Their Banyan is the second largest in the world after one in India.
mudfish

Post by mudfish »

WoW! that is truly awesome Mike.
-Cisco-

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

- Eleanor Roosevelt -
DayFisher

Post by DayFisher »

I don't know if the one @ Gandy and Bayshore was relocated, but the old mansion
that was (still is) there was moved closer to the corner and is now that law office that is there.
We had two. one in my neighbors yard and one in my parents yard.
The freeze we had 10-15yrs ago killed them and they had to be removed OVER THE COURSE OF 4 DAYS!! :shock: Big, big trees.
K
Hauling Dead Dinosaurs for Your Vehicles Consumptive Delight to a Gas Station near You!!
DayFisher