PFD Recommendation

cruiser

PFD Recommendation

Post by cruiser »

Hope you guys do not mind coaching a new yak fisherman. bought the Stealth 12 today. Thanks for the paddle ideas. Next up, PFD. Looking at Stohlquist Fisherman, comments or suggestions?
brokenarrowjbe

Post by brokenarrowjbe »

comfort comfort comfort, get the co2 ones with the manual activation. John
DesignDawg

Post by DesignDawg »

I got the manual inflatable as mentioned above. I took my new kayak out for the maiden voyage today to test EVERYTHING out.

I hardly even knew I had the PFD on. Very happy with the purchase. This is the yellow manual kind at West Marine (made by Stearns). great deal, too.

Good luck!

Ricky
mudfish

Post by mudfish »

DesignDawg wrote:...This is the yellow manual kind at West Marine (made by Stearns). great deal, too...
How much?
-Cisco-

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

- Eleanor Roosevelt -
TampaJim

Post by TampaJim »

I have a Mustang Deluxe Inflatable (Manual Activation) that I absolutely love. Previously, I used the Stohlquist Fisherman. Honestly, I don't know how I survived it ... hot, hot and a bit hotter.

BTW, the most important item on my PFD ... the deluxe collar which is neoprene padded. Without it, the vests will rub on your neck in an undesirable way. IF you look at the less expensive brands, I would try to find one with a soft collar.

http://www.mustangsurvival.com/products ... =487&mc=24
wilfish

Post by wilfish »

Ok not to jump thread or anything ,But when I'm out kayaking around and see other kayakers out there ,I don't see anyone wearing one .I see that they have them with them but not wearing and that myself too. I know its not a good thing . but I do wear one if the weather is going to bad.And I can't get back to shore in time .Also in T/X I dont see any people wearing them either . Sorry if I'm wrong.
Don't steal... The Government does not like the competition
Rik

Post by Rik »

You're not wrong. Thankfully the rule makers haven't intruded on our own decision making as far as PFDs are concerned.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
Paul
PFTS SPONSOR
PFTS SPONSOR

Post by Paul »

Lifejackets are a personal fit. What might work or fit well for one person may not work for someone else.

You need to go try a few on and see what fits you the best.
Paul Silvernail
"Pimpin' ain't easy....but it's neccessary"
justabucup

Post by justabucup »

wilfish wrote:Ok not to jump thread or anything ,But when I'm out kayaking around and see other kayakers out there ,I don't see anyone wearing one .I see that they have them with them but not wearing and that myself too. I know its not a good thing . but I do wear one if the weather is going to bad.And I can't get back to shore in time .Also in T/X I dont see any people wearing them either . Sorry if I'm wrong.
This goes with my suggestion. Find one that is mildew resistant so when you put it in the hatch of the kayak and leave it there for the rest of time you will not have mold issues. The best PFDs for kayakers in a shallow bay environment are ones found on the sides of roads.... much like milkcrates.
Credo quia absurdum
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

I think I've donned my pfd only during a drunkin shark fishing episode some years back. Thats the only time I can remember putting one on in a kayak.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
willemac
Supporter 2009 - 2012

Post by willemac »

"She who said so said I got to wear mine in case I fall out the boat". If I'm not in the boat, wading, swimming " She who said so said I don't have to ware mine". Mustang HIT.
It's the other three quarters that can't be trusted!!!
Mac

Hobie AI
GILs_GONE_WILD

Post by GILs_GONE_WILD »

99% of the time, if I fall out I just stand up. I'm 5'10" and rarely in water over 5ft.

If in deeper water, I'll more than likely put it on.
GIL

"Only the half-mad are wholly alive." ~~~ Edward Abbey
shamus
The Beaver Tickler

Post by shamus »

I wear it while tapon fishing, the rest of the time I;m in 2' of water.
I think I've donned my pfd only during a drunkin shark fishing episode some years back
You see kids if your going to fish for sharks out of a kayak, large quantities of alcohol and cigars should be consumed first.
0 0 1
DesignDawg

Post by DesignDawg »

teamshaft3 wrote:
DesignDawg wrote:...This is the yellow manual kind at West Marine (made by Stearns). great deal, too...
How much?
I believe they're $59.95 on sale.
TampaJim

Post by TampaJim »

I wear mine all the time. No kidding.

My wife would be far too happy if something happened to me ... insurance payout, pension checks, unrestricted spending and partying with younger men.

I will NEVER give her the satisfaction. Especially over something so preventable as drowning.

For now she is going to have to keep watching CSI and taking notes on erasing evidence. I am not going down without a fight!

TJ -
mauso1
Supporter 2007 - 2013

Post by mauso1 »

I hardly even knew I had the PFD on. Very happy with the purchase. This is the yellow manual kind at West Marine (made by Stearns). great deal, too.
Dittos on the WM manual..lighter than my SOSpenders and more comfy than Mustang.
And the CO2 cartridges are available locally and don't have to be mail ordered.

(all carts are not the same so if you buy a CO2 type III ck to make sure the replacement cart is easy to buy. The SOSpenders carts are NOT )

OBTW..law says if you have an inflatable it must be worn.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club