Native Ultimate 14 - pics added

If you use one that is listed, please add a review. If a kayak or canoe that you would like to give a review of is not listed, please add it. This is also where you can show off your boat.
Rik

Native Ultimate 14 - pics added

Post by Rik »

The good folks at Economy Tackle in Sarasota let me use a Native Ultimate 14 from their rental fleet this past weekend. I've owned several other kayaks and canoes but none of them impressed me enough to want to keep them in my fleet. None of them were worthy of replacing one of my old style Tarpon 16's.

Well, this boat will likely become part of my fleet (hear that Santa?)

I can see myself owning one of these boats. I doubt I'd use it for a long haul, as that is something the Tarpon 16 does very well, but for those regular days of a few miles, it is hard to beat.

I'd been told by many that they have the finest seat out there. I'd have to agree. 60 seconds after sitting in it the first time, I was convinced. It is fairly adjustable and like sitting in a lounge chair. I found myself wishing it had some sort of head support attachment so I could lean back and take a nap.

After a little over an hour, I did not have that loud voice from my lower back warning me that I need to get out and stretch for 15 minutes. When in a kayak, that voice yells every hour like clockwork.

For all you 'regular' guys who can only chuckle when that lean 22 year old talks about how easy it is to stand in (insert kayak brand here), this boat is standable by a guy like me. DaveR took some pics, hopefully he will post them. I was reasonably comfortable and only had to exercise one Emergency Exit From Standing Position that resulted in a rather resounding plop into the seat. I'm sure that after a few more trips I'd be much steadier.

The paddling did take some getting used to after many years paddling kayaks. With the sides being a bit higher, you do have to adjust your arms to keep from hitting the sides. I also found that a higher angle stroke performed better.

One thing I'd like is a way to raise the seat at times. Maybe Native has something for this. When just drifting some mangroves fishing, it would be nice to be up about gunnel height.

Also, do they make a rudder for this boat?
Last edited by Rik on Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
JoeS

Post by JoeS »

Rudder is available.......
www.nativewatercraft.com
"I want to help the helpless, but I don't give a damn about the clueless anymore!
Rik

Post by Rik »

That's a good thing. I'm spoiled.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
DonS

ultimate rudder

Post by DonS »

The link does not show a rudder for the Ultimate. Others in the line , yes.
I would like to hear opinions on the Magic. A rudder kit exists for it.
I have a 14-5 Ultimate & 2nd Ricks comments.
stroke - stroke - glide
Vlap

Post by Vlap »

Rik, talk to Noles. He designed something that lifted the seat. Might be what you are looking for.
"It's always an adventure! " Cooknfish.
ChrisR
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by ChrisR »

There is both a rudder, and a seat riser available from Native. They may not be listed on the website posted, but the dealer should be able to get them for you. They are a bit pricey though.
SRQGator
Grocery Yodeler

Post by SRQGator »

Vlap wrote:Rik, talk to Noles. He designed something that lifted the seat. Might be what you are looking for.
Necessity is the mother of invention.
Vlap

Post by Vlap »

True...but it worked.
"It's always an adventure! " Cooknfish.
The Below Average Angler

Post by The Below Average Angler »

These Ultimates are the baddest in the land! I started with a U-12, then upgraded to the U-14.5. The seats on these things are ass candy!
Jason
americanrobster

Post by americanrobster »

I want to get the 14.5 Ultimate one day.
Rob

Heritage Redfish 12'

Heritage Redfish 14'
pbr

Post by pbr »

When all else is considered I think it is the best design out there. Attributes of canoe and kayak, great quality, great accessories, great seat, if I ever made a change it would be to one of those, I would like to see them come out with the 14.5 in Tegris to make it even lighter.
seeinred

Post by seeinred »

Glad to hear you liked it Rik, I too am looking into getting one.

Anyone have any good rigging ideas for rod holders?
For more kayak fishing reports, tips, and fishing charters please visit;
http://tampabaykayakcharters.com/

Spencer
americanrobster

Post by americanrobster »

For rod holders, I would use the famous milk crate with some rod holders attached to it or I would consider custom building rod holders for it. The reason that I want one of these kayaks is due to not having scuppers that will crack and leak.
Rob

Heritage Redfish 12'

Heritage Redfish 14'
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

americanrobster wrote: The reason that I want one of these kayaks is due to not having scuppers that will crack and leak.
While that may be one reason I certainly wouldn't put it anywhere near the top of the list. I have owned many kayaks, from multiple manufacturers and have yet to have this problem.
Stability and comfort are what I like about this craft. If Rik is comfortable and can stand in the thing that's two biggies. He's not comfortable in anything much less than an easy chair and his body shape.... Well let's just say like many of us he don't wear 30" jeans any more and standing in kayaks ain't as easy as it is for the less round. Now it's easy to build a kayak that's easy to stand in but it's a bit of a barge to paddle. (Hello Malibu) Rik didn't seem to slow much in the Native compared to his normal cruising speed in the t160. If I could I'd pick one up tomorrow. No doubt.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

DaveR wrote:
americanrobster wrote: The reason that I want one of these kayaks is due to not having scuppers that will crack and leak.
While that may be one reason I certainly wouldn't put it anywhere near the top of the list. I have owned many kayaks, from multiple manufacturers and have yet to have this problem.
I have owned many kayaks from four different manufacturers and have never had a scupper leak.
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
plagsage

Post by plagsage »

seeinred wrote:Glad to hear you liked it Rik, I too am looking into getting one.

Anyone have any good rigging ideas for rod holders?
See mine in rigged boats. Not sure if its good, but it works for me.

http://paddle-fishing-forum.com/viewtop ... ght=native

I have since modified my forward rod holder with a piece of bungee cord from foot bracket to foot bracket which holds the tube down so that I don't need to remove it when I put it on my van and it also allows me to slip a small tackle box under it.

I saw some else (I think Mudfoot) post a pic using a small "L" bracket and a hose clamp to keep the thwart tube from rotating, I'll see if I can find the pic.
Last edited by plagsage on Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Native Ultimate 14.5