What type of Costas should I get?

fishfinder13

What type of Costas should I get?

Post by fishfinder13 »

I would like to get a pair of Costa Del Mar sunglasses but do not know what type I should get. I will be using them for inshore fishing for redfish, snook, trout, and tarpon in and around the tampa bay area. I would like to have something that can eleminate the glare from the water allowing me to see a redfish or snook tailing or just cruising the shore from a good distance. I am looking for suggestions on style and lense colors. Thanks.

Tight Lines,

Kyle
Chadryan

Post by Chadryan »

I have the Harpoon frames w/ 580 Amber lenses and I love them. I think that several others on this site have mentioned that they liked the amber lenses for inshore fishing as well. They do a good job of eliminating glare and help you to see through the water.

You could probably do a search on this site and find a bunch of information and opinions that have already been stated.
-Chad
WS Tarpon 140
Heritage Marquesa 14
BrianW

Post by BrianW »

Ditto on the amber lenses. Go to the place you are planning on buying them, try on a few pair. Most places will even let you go outside and see how they look in the sunlight. GL..
seeinred

Post by seeinred »

The style you chose is soley up to which frame fits your face most comfortably, DON'T make the mistake of buying glasses because they look cool but aren't quite the right fit you will regret it.

I have liked both the 400 and 580 amber lense/green mirror glasses I have owned.. the 580s only a little more. I have always heard good things about the all amber lenses, and it sounds like their new(ish) silver mirror lenses are the bomb for inshore fishing. I have yet to try them so maybe someone on here who has will chime in.
For more kayak fishing reports, tips, and fishing charters please visit;
http://tampabaykayakcharters.com/

Spencer
jayone91

Post by jayone91 »

My wife is an optician and sells Costa's. It took her about about a year to convince me they were the best. After wearing my Costa Del Mar's I'll never wear another brand.

With that said, for fishing you want to go with the amber 400 lens or the 580 lens in either green mirror which comes with amber or the silver mirror(580 only) which comes with a copper lens.

I have both and like the 580 better. The only reason I don't wear the 580 exclusively is because the 580 are not available as a Rx lens yet but they are coming very soon according to the Costa Reps.

As for style you will have to try some on and decide for yourself. My wife loves the harpoon(which is very popular) I love the brine which fits my face best.

Buy Costa's and you will never regret it!
CooKnFish

Post by CooKnFish »

Ones that fit! The different models are all different sizes. No matter which frame you pick, make sure to get the 580 lens. Green mirror has the amber color you want for fishing flats and backwaters.
Paddles - they aren't just for the bedroom anymore.

~Mark~
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

CooKnFish wrote:Ones that fit! The different models are all different sizes. No matter which frame you pick, make sure to get the 580 lens. Green mirror has the amber color you want for fishing flats and backwaters.
What he said.
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
EZYLYF
King of Broken Fly Rods

Post by EZYLYF »

Green mirror, 580 lense.... worth the extra money..

I tried the 400, not even close, took them back the same day....
Take Spencers advice and try on different frame models..

JMHO - Good luck
fishfinder13

Post by fishfinder13 »

[quote="seeinred"]The style you chose is soley up to which frame fits your face most comfortably, DON'T make the mistake of buying glasses because they look cool but aren't quite the right fit you will regret it.
quote] Every think looks cool on me ( I wish). So should I get a glass lense or a plastic lense? And is mirrored an option on glass and plastic or a whole different material?
mudfish

Post by mudfish »

fishfinder13 wrote:...So should I get a glass lense or a plastic lense? And is mirrored an option on glass and plastic or a whole different material?
GLASS!
-Cisco-

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

- Eleanor Roosevelt -
MarkM
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by MarkM »

I have glass lenses. Advantage: the mirror is in between 2 separate pieces of glass, so it can't get scratched like the mirror on the plastic lenses.
Disadvantage: They weigh a ton more than the plastic. I have prescription lenses, and they recommended going with glass, or else I'd have the plastic and not care about scratching them.
saltwater_cowboy
Supporter 2007 - 2013

Post by saltwater_cowboy »

I think the 580's only come in glass, could be wrong....

Everyone that posted has it right.....try on and make sure of fitment\comfort of frames is the main thing

Choosing the Green Mirror 580 lens is the next thing....

The Costa Del Mar 580 Green Mirror lens is where the difference lies......a lot of people have\will make posts about numerous other high end brands being just as good as Costas......which is true if comparing them to the Costa 400 lenses.

I've done the Pepsi challenge with Hobie, Rayban, Oakley, Maui Jim and Smith Action Optics....none of them come remotely close compared to the 580 lens with mirroring. I had the non-mirrored amber 580 lens for years and then switched to green mirrored 580 lens (tax refund :-) ).....HUGE noticeable difference to me on cloudless days where the sun is bright as hell all day.....with the non-mirrored I found myself squinting to the point of getting a headache....that is a non-issue since switching to the green mirrored in addition to the increased visibility of fish...

One other thing about the green mirror 580's.....(read in hippie voice) THE COLORS MAN!!

ha ha.....since the 580's cut out all yellow light beyond what the human eye can detect, the R's, G's and B's are much more pronounced and you don't get that huge color distortion\dampening that all other lenses give to one degree or another.

http://www.costadelmar.com/SeeOutThere/ ... ta580Lens/

Spend the extra dough on the green mirror 580's (or the silver...haven't tried those yet....maybe around tax return season 8) ) it will be money well spent.

One last note, once I started buying the expensive eyewear, a sunglasses leash became a part of my constant wardrobe......if I didn't have the leash, I'd lose them within a week. Once in a blue moon, I lose track of them and almost have a panic attack......(read in Smeagol voice) can't live without the precious.....

If possible go to Bill Jackson's or a Bass Pro and just tell the guys you want to the Pepsi challenge and you'll see what I mean.....if you do it at BJ's they have the lake out back to test the water visibility if so inclined....

Happy shopping!
Last edited by saltwater_cowboy on Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mark

Here fishy, fishy, fishy......
krash
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by krash »

Ok, I'll ask the dumb question, whats "the Pepsi challenge" ?
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

SW, Live to Fish, Have Tackle will travel ... >,)))~> ~~~~
DRock

Post by DRock »

I have to agree, even though its been said over and over, find the one that is most comfortable for you. I have a big head and most of the models were tight across my temples. I found the Harpoons to be comfortable, then went on ebay and got a $249 pair of 580's with green lenses for around $160! Good luck and make sure to buy a $2.00 sunglass leash as mentioned also! Nothing like having sunglasses fall off your face when your releasing or trying to bring a fish aboard!!
Derick
Tan W.S. Ride 135
BrianW

Post by BrianW »

krash wrote:Ok, I'll ask the dumb question, whats "the Pepsi challenge" ?
A taste test, in this case the soft drink is substituted with sunglasses.
bigstins

Post by bigstins »

If you wear the hammerhead style they have them in 580 silver mirror on amazon for $164 only 2 left at this price. Just ordered me a pair.