Pulled Pork Recipe

americanrobster

Pulled Pork Recipe

Post by americanrobster »

I just bought a crock pot and I want to make some pulled pork for the girlfriend and I to eat. I am wondering if anyone has a recipe that is tried and true to put to the test in my new crock pot.
Rob

Heritage Redfish 12'

Heritage Redfish 14'
Rik

Re: Pulled Pork Recipe

Post by Rik »

I've made this three times and everyone that has had it raved.

Get the biggest shoulder you can fit in your crockpot and drop it in. Add 1 cup of apple juice and 2 chopped up onions. Cook on low for 8 hours, turning it over at 4 hours. (You can change that cup of apple juice to a half cup apple juice and half cup cider vinegar for a bit more bite)

Take it out and 'pull' the pork. Get rid of the bone and fat. Discard the liquids.

Put it back in the crockpot and pour in a bottle of Stubbs barbecue sauce. Cook on low for another hour.

Don't munch away on the pork as you are pulling it apart or you won't be hungry when it is all done!
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
americanrobster

Post by americanrobster »

Thanks Rik.
Rob

Heritage Redfish 12'

Heritage Redfish 14'
Mark R

Post by Mark R »

:roll: CROCK POT? :roll:
"Likes smokey old pool rooms N clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
MarkM
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by MarkM »

Mark R wrote::roll: CROCK POT? :roll:
Yeah, CROCK POT!! :D

I make this version of eastern NC pulled pork. It has never failed to garnish rave revues:

1 4- to 6-pound pork shoulder or
Boston butt or boneless loin
1 cup white vinegar
2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1/4 teaspoon black pepper

Cook meat in a crock pot with 1/2 cup of water, covered, on the low setting for 10 to 12 hours or the high setting for 5 to 6 hours.
Combine vinegar, sugar, salt, red pepper and black pepper. Pull meat from the bone, fat and skin. shred or chop the meat. Combine meat and vinegar sauce in large saucepan, put back in crock-pot and cook all day again.
Makes some awful tasty sandwiches with a little cole slaw on top.
Mark R

Post by Mark R »

:roll: CROCK POT? :roll:
"Likes smokey old pool rooms N clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
Rik

Post by Rik »

Yes, crock pot. No messy charcoal on your fingers. It's civilized cooking.

However, anytime you Neanderthals want to fire up your charcoal eating, smoke breathing monsters, give me a call.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
Mark R

Post by Mark R »

Rik wrote:Yes, crock pot. No messy charcoal on your fingers. It's civilized cooking.

However, anytime you Neanderthals want to fire up your charcoal eating, smoke breathing monsters, give me a call.
:lol: :lol: :compress: :salute:
Vlap

Post by Vlap »

It ain't BBQ if you do it in a crock pot.

Now you can make a good product in a crockpot and both recipes listed sound good. Just don't call it BBQ. :lol:
"It's always an adventure! " Cooknfish.
Rik

Post by Rik »

That's why the title says "pulled pork recipe" but, then again, we don't expect Neanderthals to read well.
Vlap

Post by Vlap »

What?
ChrisR
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by ChrisR »

Rik wrote: Get the biggest shoulder you can fit in your crockpot and drop it in. Add 1 cup of apple juice and 2 chopped up onions. Cook on low for 8 hours, turning it over at 4 hours. (You can change that cup of apple juice to a half cup apple juice and half cup cider vinegar for a bit more bite)

Take it out and 'pull' the pork. Get rid of the bone and fat. Discard the liquids.

Put it back in the crockpot and pour in a bottle of Stubbs barbecue sauce. Cook on low for another hour.
A college roommate of mine did the same thing, but used ginger ale instead of apple juice. I prefer the real smoke taste, but I have to admit it was damn good.
JoeS

Post by JoeS »

Rik I do that very same recipe in a yes Mark Crock Pot only I do Turkey Breasts the apple juice does give a distinct flavor.....I actually use a frozen turkey breast cook it 10 hrs......Never called it BBQ.......
"I want to help the helpless, but I don't give a damn about the clueless anymore!
noles

Post by noles »

Rik wrote:Yes, crock pot. No messy charcoal on your fingers. It's civilized cooking.

Seems I misplaced your number. It should be ready this evening.

"whose that little motherf***er with the fly rod"
Vlap

Post by Vlap »

You are a good man Noles!
Mark R

Post by Mark R »

That's more like it, thank you noles.