Emotion Grand Slam

If you use one that is listed, please add a review. If a kayak or canoe that you would like to give a review of is not listed, please add it. This is also where you can show off your boat.
shallow pockets

Emotion Grand Slam

Post by shallow pockets »

I am now using the Emotion Grand Slam Kayaks. The Emotion Grand Slam is the perfect kayak for the person looking for a serious fishing machine.These kayaks are very fast & very stable. I have no problem standing and poling the flats in this kayak.
The specs:
Length:14' 5 " (439 cm)
Width: 30 " (76 cm)
Weight: 69 lbs. (31 kg)
*Weight capacity: 375 - 450 lbs. (170 -204 kg)

Standard Features:
Manufactured from specially compounded
polyethylene plastic
Easy to repair, UV resistant, designed for
years of care free use
3-year warranty on hull
Dual carrying handles at each end of kayak

Here are some other features:
The grand slam has 2 front hatch covers for more protection , The fist cover is a hard plastic for splash protection.

And the it has a second neoprene cover under neath to to keep water out.

It has a round storage area for your smaller items.I would use a waterproof baggy for anything that cant get wet though.

My favorite feature of this kayak is the storage area directly behind the seat that holds 3 plano tackle sleeves perfectly.

Plenty of storage space for 5 gallon buckets,milk crates or coolers.

There is a groove on both sides of the kayak that help with holdind your stake out pole or paddle.

The Emotion Grand Slam does not come rigged with rod holders. You can get this boat with the angler package. I chose to go without the angler package so I could rig it my way.Rigging this kayak was very simple. All the common places for adding rod holders are already marked out for you.

I hope this review helps and feel free to contact me if your in the market for a new kayak and would like to demo the Grand Slam. ( I am now a member of the Emotion Kayaks fishing team)
Last edited by shallow pockets on Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:48 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Jackson Kayak Pro Staff
Rik

Re: Emotion Grand Slam

Post by Rik »

Are you sponsored by Emotion?
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
shallow pockets

No I am not sponsored directly by Emotion.I just picked up two of these kayaks. And couldn't be happier with them.
Jackson Kayak Pro Staff
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

Does picked up mean bought at retail? Your review is very well done. Thanks.
The 2 hatch cover deal is a pain in the ass though. I had a Prowler with the neoprene cover years back. When compared to the hatch covers I'm used to it was much more difficult to reinstall.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
shallow pockets

Yes I paid for them. I have never used a front hatch for anything on any of the kayaks I have ever owned.So I dont see a problem with the 2 covers. I do know how much they cost when you lose one driving down the interstate though.lol
Jackson Kayak Pro Staff
pag_yaker

Post by pag_yaker »

shallow pockets wrote:No I am not sponsored directly by Emotion.I just picked up two of these kayaks. And couldn't be happier with them.
OK, how about "sponsored indirectly"? :)
Jerry White
Contributing author for Paddling.net since 2005
Contributing author for Florida Sportsman Magazine
Member - Florida Outdoor Writers Association
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

As a reformed tackle whore myself, methinks something is rotten in Denmark. :joker:
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
justabucup

Post by justabucup »

DaveR wrote:As a reformed tackle whore myself, methinks something is rotten in Denmark. :joker:
Since when did you reform?
Credo quia absurdum
Rik

Re: Gone

Post by Rik »

geez, don't think shallow deserved all that.

Sabers, high noon, Palma Sola causeway beach. Shark fishing immediately following.

S.P. - please put it back up
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
shallow pockets

Re: Gone

It seemed to bother some people so I thought it was best to remove it.See ya guys in the AM & looking forward to my first PFTS event.
Jackson Kayak Pro Staff
jayone91

Post by jayone91 »

Thanks for the thorough review of this kayak. I wish I would have looked at emotions when I bought my kayak. I really appreciate you taking the time to give a user review, I know when I was buying my first boat I relied heavily on user reviews and rentals.
Paul
PFTS SPONSOR
PFTS SPONSOR

Post by Paul »

Rik wrote:This forum is for reviews of individual kayaks and canoes. Each thread will concentrate on a single model. We'd like to hear real likes, dislikes and suggestions for improvements from actual owners and users of each canoe.

If you are a sponsored angler, an employee of the manufacturer, a sales person or in any other way connected with the manufacturer - or it's competitors - we expect that you will note that in your post.

These threads are not for 'chit chat'. We have plenty of other threads available for that. The intent is for these threads to hold real information that potential purchasers can use to assist them in their buying decision.
I sell them - I paddled a Grand Slam in 2009 I really like this kayak. It is a good blend of stand up stability with a bit more speed than other super stable kayaks. Plus it is a no hull slap kayak

Paul Silvernail
"Pimpin' ain't easy....but it's neccessary"
shallow pockets

Very stable for a sit on top. I stood up all day Saturday and threw the fly rod.
Jackson Kayak Pro Staff
Kellylp

Post by Kellylp »

My Name is Kelly....... I have been a member for only a few months....... So Here goes.

I currenlty own a RTM Quatro Angler that I purchased as a brand new yaker and to use with a second paddler if they decided to go with....... Well they (wife/son) don't go to often. It is a super super stable Kayak, I stand up in it all the time even during small wakes. Butt on windy days its a barge and in Florida windy days just happen!

Sooo I said that to say this.. I tried the NEW RTM ANGLER KEY LARGO, That is a nice Yak! as for fishability and more stable than any kyak I have been in, but not a fast yak.. If youre looking for a truly stable Kayak and fishing ability that is setup from stock then this one is for U.The seat area has a upward mold design that just didnt work for me :( ...

Again, I consider a stable YAK to be one u can just get up and down at will.. Untill youve been inthe RTM then tried others you may not understand what I am saying:).. STILL LOOKING FOR ALL AROUND SPEED TO GET PLACES EVEN WHEN THE WIND SHOWS UP.Soo I moved on to the GRAND SLAM

I used the Grand Slam three times over the weekend. Its a decent kayak!! I am 5'11 and 220 lbs.. Fat Boy.. Heres my findings........... My RED 14.5 Emotion has a small round hatch in the floor thats good for a dry bag or box.

As to stability I did stand up in it.. But it is NOT ONE I WOULD DO ON A REGULAR BASIS. The RTM I would with out even a second thought. its probably not fair comparing to a RTM for stability as the rtm is a beast ... Heavier and more to deal with, that's why I started looking..

The E-Motion Kayak is pretty fast and glides along very well with out much effort.

Handling rough conditions; I was caught in the weather over the weekend an it did very well in the swells while crossing the 1/2 mile ditance to get back crossing the windy-rainy bay and did not take on water in the seating area; the swell/waves that did attempt to come in it just flowed right off the bow.. Nice! :)

The lay out is good as to fishability with lots of room for your equipment, I looked at all other brands before purchasing this one and very satisfied overall; I do agree it is a great Angler Yak and very stealthy to say the least.

Kelly/ Newbee.

Dave at Action Water Sports in Auburndale was very helpful as to my needs. Great place to buy from if youre looking....

I did purchase a cooler/fish bad combo and added to the bow, it works great and gives you more room at the rear for your gear
Last edited by Kellylp on Thu May 27, 2010 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Strike Zone

Post by Strike Zone »

Heres a quick overview of the Grand Slam Angler.