W.S. Ride 13.5 owners?

DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

W.S. Ride 13.5 owners?

Post by DaveR »

Anybody out there have first hand knowledge comparing the Ride to the T140? I'm looking for a bit more stability while standing. OK, a lot more stability. :oops: I have read about wet seat issues. This is a major downer. Has W.S. addressed this? Not too worried about speed as I don't do those 10 mile days like I used to.
I know there are other platforms out there that are more stable than my T140 but please restrict replies to the Ride 13.5. Thanks in advance.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
DRock

Re: W.S. Ride 13.5 owners?

Post by DRock »

Dave, forgive me if I chime in without firsthand knowledge of the T14 to compare, but I love my Ride135. I'm 6'2", just over 200 lbs and top heavy due to a big head. While I don't stand and cast, I have become very comfortable standing and paddling looking for fish. It has a great secondary stability and I have yet to take a dive out of it (knock on wood)!! My kayak is a 2007 model, and I can only imagine they are the same, if not better, especially after seeing some pictures of the new ones. I hope this helps, and I don't think you'll be disappointed if you do give one a try.
Derick
Tan W.S. Ride 135
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

DaveR wrote:Anybody out there have first hand knowledge comparing the Ride to the T140? I'm looking for a bit more stability while standing. OK, a lot more stability. :oops: I have read about wet seat issues. This is a major downer. Has W.S. addressed this? Not too worried about speed as I don't do those 10 mile days like I used to.
I know there are other platforms out there that are more stable than my T140 but please restrict replies to the Ride 13.5. Thanks in advance.
I have owned both. The Ride is much more stable than the 140. Much,much more due to the design of the hull bottom and the extra width, the ride is 4" wider than a 140.

The old rides, pre 2009 if I am correct, had a huge problem with water collecting in the seat, it was a very wet boat. Ask Vercetti, he had an old model ride. The new rides have a different seat configuration that does not allow water to slosh back into the seat area. They basically raised the seat and put in a stop where water would slosh back into the seat area.

There were some problems with the new seat back not staying in place in the new rides and that has been corrected. As you know it is not the fastest paddling boat but that is the tradeoff for the stability.

I have one sitting in my side yard that will not be used on Saturday, you are more than welcome to paddle it on Saturday. Let me know if you want me to bring it for you to use, no problem at all carrying two kayaks in my truck. I will be paddling my new commmander 120 on Saturday, you are more than welcome to try that also. Either way you can use the ride or the commander, just let me know.
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

Thanks Todd. If I didn't know any better I might think you are trying to throw me off my game Sat. :bom:
I'd take you up on your offer but it looks like Sat. will bring winds that will be quite a bit less than optimum for testing it out.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

DaveR wrote:Thanks Todd. If I didn't know any better I might think you are trying to throw me off my game Sat. :bom:
I'd take you up on your offer but it looks like Sat. will bring winds that will be quite a bit less than optimum for testing it out.
Considering I will be following you around I wanted to keep you on top of your game with a fine stable platform to fish from, the new ride would have elevated your game to new levels with the ability to sight fish rather than falling off your old 140 like a retarded seal in 4" of mud.

The wind forecast has me re-thinking the commander for Saturday.
SRQGator
Grocery Yodeler

Post by SRQGator »

Hey Dave, just get an Ultimate. You're welcome.
1 1 12?
ChrisR
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by ChrisR »

Todd wrote: There were some problems with the new seat back not staying in place in the new rides and that has been corrected. As you know it is not the fastest paddling boat but that is the tradeoff for the stability.
I have a 2009 (I think....It is the first model with the hard hatch covers) and mine has the seat problem that Todd describes. The seat is a downright pain in the ass. When it does click down it makes a ton of noise, and the only way to use it puts the seatback very low. I don't use the Ride as much now that I own an Ultimate as well, but I still like it just fine. If it were my go to boat, I would look to replace the seatback with the old ones that were fixed at a certain height.
Todd is correct that the seat is elevated some to prevent water from sloshing in from the footwell/cockpit. Water will still pool in the seat if you take some splash over the side, and has no way of draining out on it's own as it is concaved with no scuppers.
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

ChrisR wrote:
Todd wrote:I have a 2009 (I think....It is the first model with the hard hatch covers) and mine has the seat problem that Todd describes. The seat is a downright pain in the ass. When it does click down it makes a ton of noise, and the only way to use it puts the seatback very low.
Chris-

Wilderness Systems has a fix for that. PM me your e-mail and I will get the info to you.
Erick
"Mister OLC"
"Mister OLC"

Post by Erick »

Dave, I have a Ride and I dont know if I have had wet seat issues. Just got it last year so it is a newer model. I have only used it a handful of times but dont remember getting water in the seat. Next time I get it out, which will be the end of the month I will check on that.

Oh, and edited to add I also have the same year model in the Tarpon 140. I tend to like the 140 better. I dont stand to fish, paddle or pole the kayak, so I prefer the tracking and paddling efficiency of the Tarpon as my "go to" kayak for most fishing situations. I use the Ride when I am taking out the kids so one can sit in the tank well. Actually that can fill with water, especially when your youngest child is in the back with a cup and as you are paddling along she is filling it up like a tub. It took me a while to figure out why the kayak started to get so hard to paddle!
Don't give up. Don't ever give up.
Jim Valvano

{{>=====<}} <'))))><ing
Heywood

Post by Heywood »

Dave, see me when your ready for a kayak that is made for standing.

Your welcome.
"Anytime I shag a buddies wife I always cut the lawn when I'm done " ~ The Leg End ~
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

I like yours Bill but the damn thing takes on too much water. Not joking with ya. I'd consider it if it wasn't for that.

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Vercetti

Post by Vercetti »

Dave, I owned one of the original rides and a newer one (08 I think). The new one far surpasses the old school in both comfort and "paddlability" . The stability is top notch, I got it specifically as a flyfishing platform, and it fits my needs as you know its much easier to cast a fly standing up. Although I don't fish much any more the 13.5 hits the water over the 160. As far as the damp ass thing goes, well its a kayak...I can't say you won't get wet, but I can say
Its "drier" than the 160, however it does not cut through chop as well as other hull designs. On those days I'm not fly fishing and I take out the 160.
- Jon
redfish

Post by redfish »

I have fished out of the 2007 and 2009 Tarpon 140. I bought the 2009 back in summer but sold it since I could not stand up in it. They changed a few things on the kayak, with a round hatch where you would usually stand. I loved the new hatches and the speed of the kayak but I could not stand so I sold it and bought a 07 140. I am able to stand pretty easy and can beat pretty much anyone to a fishing spot. I hope WS comes out with a 2010 T140 that has the new orbix hatches but you have the open area where you can stand. I also looked at the new 09 Ride and it was really nice. Has a ton of room to store stuff and you can stand very easly. I wish I would have bought that but I am bad when it comes to money. :lol: Other than that I love my T140.
Amped Kayak Fishing and Southern Backwater on Facebook
Mercuryverado200 on Youtube
Wright Custom Rods